Documentaries

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Re: Documentaries

Post by pharvey »

Followed by
"Freddie Mercury: Greatest Showman"
- that along with a few ciders, not a bad Friday night!! :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:08 am Just started watching "AROUND THE WORLD BY TRAIN WITH TONY ROBINSON" Season 2 - Really do enjoy this series. Have to say, I'd love to do some of these journeys..... if only I could afford to do so!!

Tonight's episode: -
Rail.jpg

"The actor and comedian continues on his epic rail journey, pacifying wanderlust for those of us stuck in lockdown. This week, he travels through South America, from Buenos Aires to the Incan citadel of Machu Picchu. Highlights come on the ultra-luxurious Andean Explorer to Peru, complete with its own piano bar and fine dining suite. Plus there is an altogether more rustic detour to an alligator-infested part of the Amazon."

:cheers: :cheers:
I know that we’re all more concerned with covid-19 these days, but it would help if you could post the source of where it’s available from - eg BBC, Netflix, Piratebay etc :cheers:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

it's a Channel 5 series. Not many seeders on Piratebay, a few more on limetorrents.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sateeb wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:20 am it's a Channel 5 series. Not many seeders on Piratebay, a few more on limetorrents.
Thanks, I should be able to watch that via my VPN
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:15 am I know that we’re all more concerned with covid-19 these days, but it would help if you could post the source of where it’s available from - eg BBC, Netflix, Piratebay etc :cheers:
Apologies DB, an oversight on my part - not much use without a link etc! :oops: Thanks for posting Sateeb :thumb:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just watched 'Fantastic Fungi', which was an eye opening insight into mycelium and those little things called mushrooms that we all overlook ...

https://fantasticfungi.com/

Download: https://yts.mx/movie/fantastic-fungi-2019
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

pharvey wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:36 am Followed by
"Freddie Mercury: Greatest Showman"
- that along with a few ciders, not a bad Friday night!! :D
Just watched Queen: Rock the World.
Behind-the-scenes archive documentary where BBC music presenter Bob Harris follows Queen as they record their 6th album, NEWS OF THE WORLD, shoot videos, promote it, rehearse and ultimately embark on a groundbreaking tour of North America.

There's a great scene where Roger Taylor recounts the time Sid Vicious came to the studio and said to Freddie "Are you bringing Ballet to the masses then?" Freddie replied, " Oh Mr Ferocious, we're trying our best dear." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lots of seeders at https://www.ettvdl.com/torrents-search. ... +the+World
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:28 pmThere's a great scene where Roger Taylor recounts the time Sid Vicious came to the studio and said to Freddie "Are you bringing Ballet to the masses then?" Freddie replied, " Oh Mr Ferocious, we're trying our best dear." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Love it :thumb:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I enjoyed the film Bohemian Rhapsody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:27 pm I enjoyed the film Bohemian Rhapsody
As did I - Rami Malek played Freddie M superbly.

Back to "docs to watch", this looks well worth a look. I'm not a great follower of basketball, but Jordan was somewhat of an icon - incredible sportsman/athlete, successful in business, intelligent, incredible desire to succeed, but truly likeable (not your typical Wendyballer!).

I'll certainly give it a watch. :thumb:

"The Last Dance, the 10-part documentary whose first episodes premiere on ESPN in the US on Sunday (with the worldwide releases for each on Netflix the following day), shows, he was so much more. Yes, Jordan was gloriously, unironically macho. Yes, his body worked like a Swiss army knife, limbs cutting through the air in all directions at one moment then snapping back into a streamlined cylinder the next. Yes, he was capable of outrageous things on the court. But he was also a bully, a wrecking ball, the owner of a volcanic will to win, a man of almost unbearable intensity. However much joy Jordan gave to millions throughout his career, and will surely give to millions more with the release of this banquet of a documentary, it’s hard to escape the feeling that being him – occupying that body, harnessing that talent, channelling that unrelenting drive to be the best – must have been incredibly hard. The Last Dance is nominally about Jordan’s last season with the Bulls, but flashbacks give us the full, luxurious history of His Airness, and what we’re really offered by the end of it all is a study in sympathy. The man who emerges from these 10 hours of pure 90s nostalgia is heroic, preposterous, demanding, difficult, and sometimes outright tyrannical - and somehow only even more appealing for all his flaws. He cared about one thing, and one thing only: winning. Once you understand the singularity of Jordan’s focus, everything else about him makes sense.

The Last Dance takes its title from the name of the dossier that Bulls coach Phil Jackson, in a typically canny bit of marketing, handed to every player ahead of the 1997-98 season. Jordan had progressed from a promising but coltish No 3 pick in the 1984 draft to the NBA’s first authentic international superstar; his rise paralleled, or rather propelled, the global rise of the league. But by 1997, five titles to the good, it had become clear that Jordan’s Bulls had only one season left in them. Longtime general manager Jerry Krause had signaled that Chicago’s team of champions would be broken up at the conclusion of the season. Jackson, the man who convinced Jordan, in the late 1980s, to set his ego aside and trust in the transformational beauty of the triangle offense, was also to be shown the door. We all know how the story ends – Jordan led the Bulls to a second three-peat, before riding off into the sunset – but what happens along the way is all the pleasure of this spectacle. A TV crew followed the Bulls around for the duration of the season, and the footage they recorded – footage that has never been aired until now – forms the backbone of The Last Dance. We see Jordan coping with Scottie Pippen’s back injury – the Bulls lieutenant ended up being out of action for the first 35 games of the season – and the ongoing discord between Pippen and management. We see him trying to keep the playing group together during the periodic disappearances and brain fades of an agreeably demented Dennis Rodman. We see him bickering with Steve Kerr, of all people.""
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know we're all sick of it (scuse the pun) but there is a very good doco on Coronavirus from BBC Horzion: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h3nm

Downloadable for those that can't get iPlayer. Lots of science and no social media, good information for those wanting to know a little more.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:33 am Only just started watching, but really enjoying this so far - "Back in Time for The Corner Shop"..... Yes, it's British!! :roll: :wink:

Basically, covering several decades (starting in the Victorian Era) through to '40's, 50's, 60's and so on - with each episode, the shop, features, contents, lifestyle etc. changes. Personally, I find it a bit of fun and an interesting (an educational) look back into history...

"The Ardern family embark on an extraordinary time-travelling adventure - going back in time to run that great British institution, the corner shop."

BBC iPlayer and the usual suspects to download - really worth a watch.

On a side note - "Rationing" then, compared to people bitching now about the hardships (during Coronavirus) of what's not available in their local Tesco's, Sainsbury's et. al.!

There's another series just started (well re-run) - I hadn't realised how many there were! I'm now just starting "Back in Time for the Weekend" - "Back in Time for The Corner Shop" was actually the 7th series! Really enjoyed that one, so looking forward to the others: -

"The first series, Back in Time for Dinner, centred on the Robshaw family trying foods from the second half of the twentieth century, and experiencing what it was like to live then as a middle-class family. Each hour-long programme covers one decade, and the family's own kitchen, dining, and living rooms were re-designed by the TV team each week to give an accurate representation of what it was like to cook and eat then.

The second series, Back in Time for the Weekend, featured different participants, the middle class Ashby Hawkins family, spending a week living through different decades from the 1950s to the 1990s and experiencing leisure time from the differing eras.

On 14 and 15 December 2015, a two-part Christmas special titled Back in Time for Christmas was broadcast which featured the Robshaw family trying Christmas food from the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s (Episode 1) and the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s (Episode 2).

A special edition of the show, entitled Back in Time for Brixton and consisting of two episodes, aired on BBC Two in November 2016.[2] This focused on a black British family called the Irwins "through 60 years of cultural and social shifts, charting the story of how African-Caribbean immigration has changed British culture and society".

A sequel to the first series, entitled Further Back in Time for Dinner, returns to the first family, the Robshaws, pushing them half a century earlier, beginning in 1900 and ending in 1949. The series was first broadcast on Tuesday 23 January 2017.

Back in Time for Tea [3] This began airing in February 2018. This series focuses on the food and lifestyle of working class Northern households, exemplified by the Ellis family, from post-World War I through to the end of the 1990s.

A fifth series, Back in Time for the Factory, consisted of five episodes and aired on BBC Two in September 2018. These episodes looked at modern-day workers experiencing work in a British garment factory in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, with each episode focusing on a specific year.

A sixth series, entitled Back in Time for School, aired its first episode in January 2019.[4][5] This series followed a group of students and teachers experiencing school during different time periods from the 1890s to 1990s.

A seventh series, Back in Time for the Corner Shop, began airing in February 2020."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_T ... he_Weekend

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Once Upon A Time In Iraq

I cannot rate this documentary highly enough, The horror of Iraq told from all sides. Kudos to the Beeb.

I hope there are reservations in Hell for Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush and Blair.

Available to download at the usual suspects. :cheers:

― George Carlin
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Lorena

Another noteworthy Docu well worth watching, a cut above the others(pun intended) :cheers:

― George Carlin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've just watched Michael Portillo's 'Great Asian Railway Journeys'. The Thailand leg is in 4 x 30 minute episodes which can be viewed on youtube. It's pretty much bang up to date and was only aired on BBC in July.
Starting off in Chang Mai and finishing in Hua Hin (wrongly pronounced Wa Hin....grrrr!) it's definitely worth a watch.
-Chang Mai to Lampang.
-Ayutaya to River Kwai
-Bangkok
-Bangkok to Hua Hin

This is the link to the first one. The following 3 episodes should be prompted by youtube after watching each episode.