3 killed in train crash soi 94

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: 3 killed in train crash soi 94

Post by Big Boy »

Never say never. It is only recently that they installed any barrier at all. Maybe when one of the larger barriers is decommissioned because of the flyover network being built, it might get moved to Soi 94.

Until that happens, people (Thais and Farangs) will run the crossing. Life is cheap.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:Never say never. It is only recently that they installed any barrier at all. Maybe when one of the larger barriers is decommissioned because of the flyover network being built, it might get moved to Soi 94.

Until that happens, people (Thais and Farangs) will run the crossing. Life is cheap.
You may well be right, that might be their long term plan

But in the meantime those barriers could be adapted/lengthened to the half gate variety. They're essentially just pieces of flexible plastic that hang down and form a gate effect. I'm sure we've all seen them. Just deters people from having a go. The reason those people died is (drunk or not) the driver can see fresh air.

I'm estimating 20,000 baht tops and no trains need stopping

Not a lot money versus say a car of poss 5 people dead. Or worse still a mini bus/songtheaw.

The 94 crossing should be prioritised for obvious reasons(nightlife/alcohol)

Also people should encouraged to stand further back. Stop lights, road markings should be further away from line. That's another reason people chance it, because they are right next to the line and they only need to go 6 metres and they're over. Make it further

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Or they could do what they did before - station bodies there 24/7 to stop people :? That system worked for quite a few months.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:26 am
Big Boy wrote:Never say never. It is only recently that they installed any barrier at all. Maybe when one of the larger barriers is decommissioned because of the flyover network being built, it might get moved to Soi 94.

You may well be right, that might be their long term plan

But in the meantime those barriers could be adapted/lengthened to the half gate variety. They're essentially just pieces of flexible plastic that hang down and form a gate effect. I'm sure we've all seen them. Just deters people from having a go. The reason those people died is (drunk or not) the driver can see fresh air.

I'm estimating 20,000 baht tops and no trains need stopping

Not a lot money versus say a car of poss 5 people dead. Or worse still a mini bus/songtheaw.

The 94 crossing should be prioritised for obvious reasons(nightlife/alcohol)

Also people should encouraged to stand further back. Stop lights, road markings should be further away from line. That's another reason people chance it, because they are right next to the line and they only need to go 6 metres and they're over. Make it further

The costs quoted by the SRT back in 2014 were:

Crossings with motion sensor lights - 1.4 million each.

Automatic gates - 4 million baht per crossing.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ail-safety
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So, is that 1.2 million into somebody's back pocket :run:

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

OMG you've said that out loud. I was only thinking that being the case!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Seriously, I'd have put the cost well over 20K. I'd imagine they are a lot more sophisticated than they look.

Points 51; Position 21
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:25 pm I'd imagine they are a lot more sophisticated than they look.
Yes. They would need cabling all the way to the station, relay interlocking, TOL (train on line) as well as other circuitry to indicate the boom is fully down, signalling indication/ interlocking.. It's not as simple as putting a stick across the road..
วินเชนท์
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

VincentD said
They would need cabling all the way to the station
Not correct in every case, many times the station is to far away. What they do in a lot of cases is a trip switch is put on
the track a suitable distance depending on the maximum speed the train is allowed to go on that stretch. This will then lower the barrier.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:52 pm VincentD said
They would need cabling all the way to the station
Not correct in every case, many times the station is to far away. What they do in a lot of cases is a trip switch is put on
the track a suitable distance depending on the maximum speed the train is allowed to go on that stretch. This will then lower the barrier.
Quite correct. The crossing warning systems, be they lights, barriers or both, are self contained at each crossing. There are many diffent types of sensors used to detect a train, but it is interesting to note that the original systems simply used the steel wheels and axles to initiate a low voltage DC circuit on a section of insulated track, the wheels and axle acting as a switch. A local control cabinet contains the relays and power supply.

Modern systems use a variety of sensor types, such as radar, inductive devices, motion sensors, etc.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I don't think that anyone actually thinks that the Thai Railway Raised Track Committee, will adopt any of those measures, eh wot?

They could station someone with a large STOP sign to be there a few minutes before the train arrives, waving and shouting, In Thai and English,
"STOP, GET BACK!"

After that, they can think about putting the screens on the outside of the windows.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Why not? Not the Thai Railway Raised Track Committee, but that is exactly what they did after the previous accident, until the current barrier was installed.

Points 51; Position 21
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Thailand are still using DC track circuits and relay based signalling and interlocking. It is still safer for them to use Somchai at a manned level crossing as vehicles still try to cross even as the barrier is coming down. I have seen Somchai stop the barrier midway just to prevent damage to vehicles, and have seen more than one crushed roof at the level crossing in downtown Lopburi (monkey shrine) because people don't want to wait. Human nature.
วินเชนท์
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

The crossing at 102 was manned by two guys just now.....

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Someone check again when the get home rush from the holiday is over. I tend to think no one will be there.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source