Traveling to Singapore

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Traveling to Singapore

Post by Big Boy »

Oh well, that will come with research before we travel. A shame.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Big Boy back to your original query, the transit system is great for wheel chair access as are the main tourist attractions shopping malls etc, but going into tourist areas like China Town, Little India and Arab area the street are mainly built up with shop houses and pavements are usually different heights between each building on a block, so would imagine it would be very difficult to get around with a wheel chair or walking stick. A new terror on the pavements and walkways are the numerous 'escooters' and 'pay to ride bicycles' which use them and have ruined the block pave walkways along many of the riverside areas, leaving loose or missing blocks.

Don't forget you'll be paying an arm and leg for a beer in any decent bar in city centre bar.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I rarely drink, so not a problem :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I lived there for a year in 1993, then last visited in about 1999 and I hardly recognized the place. Now, it must be unimaginable from what I knew. That's the problem with etched memories, you can never really recreate them.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Haha. I used to go back every year to see mum, family and friends. Last time I was back in 2017 I had to depend on a transport app (Moovit) and the generosity of people who still did drive. I don't recognize the place and will not drive even though I still have my SG licence. I came to Thailand in my early 30's around 1988 and used to spend about a week per year on average in Singapore. When there, I'll stay with either mum or my sister so accommodation for me isn't a serious concern. They tell me not to bother to come back anytime soon, but I guess if you're going as a tourist it will be an experience. I am very aware of what is happening back there with my old school chums chat group, old workplace chat group, and family. Going with a tour group then breaking off when you want to is probably the most viable option. YMMV.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Note that the only thing I really miss about Singapore is the unique food variety. The rest is for the tourists.. :duck:
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

This is the Singapore I remember..
วินเชนท์
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for that. Quite nostalgic. Lee Kwan Yew took over as prime minister the following year. A few years later I arrived on a British Eagle Comet. I was there to kick President Sukarno's arse. Which I did and he surrendered just before I left for Blighty.
Lee Kwan Yew broke away from the Malaysian Federation in 1965. I watched him on channel 8 making his announcement and he really did cry. Learnt his acting skills at Cambridge!!
Tiger Balm Gardens which was featured very briefly in that clip is still there although not promoted too well. The taxi driver was curious how I knew about it. Very well worth a visit even today.
Only 2 hotels - Raffles and the Goodwood. The latter had the first aircon taxis featuring a huge box on the roof (aircon unit).
Spent many a night watching the sun rise over Bugis Street which is now a modern shopping area. Gone are the 'Kai Tais' (Strange how the name is so similar to the 'Katoys of Thailand) that were initially moved to Jurong.
I could go on and on. I loved Singapore as it was not as it is.

I'm sure, Vincent, you can relate to much of that.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Yes, I can. Grew up in that era. We lived in a colonial style bungalow and had two amahs - one was a cook, the other took care of the kids.
*Amah refers to the Chinese servants at the time. They wore long ponytails, black silk slacks, the cook had a blue tunic whereas the one who took care of the kids had white instead. The New Year Eve dance was always at City Hall, Christmas felt like Christmas.. You got around town in a trishaw - yes, quite the memories..
วินเชนท์
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'd forgot about Amah's. They were the 'invisible' help and made sure that you didn't have to do anything.
Trishaws were the norm around Singapore. Coming into town from Sembawang or Nee soon it was a 'fast black'. For years after I still referred to taxis as 'fast blacks'.

Those two words today would probably be interpreted as a racial slur!!

I'm going to spend the night thinking of that time. Woke up a lot of memories, some that shouldn't be made public.... :oops:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Ah. So you were stationed at Tengah. They had some really nice air shows with the Lightnings. Some of my colleagues at the aerospace place I worked at came from the SAF, they had a band playing music just outside the base. We did get together in 2017 for a jam session and played for a friend's wife's 60th birthday. Yup, great memories. Sweet dreams.
:D :twisted:
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

BTW, of your remember the amahs, you'll probably remember the female construction workers uniforms. A dark blue tunic and trousers to match with a red hat shaped like a roof.
วินเชนท์
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Much like several other posters, I have visited and worked there (for short periods), but a fair few moons ago - I guess 2010 or so.

Very clean, great transportation, certainly wheelchair friendly in the most part..... but expensive, unless you know where to go.

I was lucky in the fact that whilst working there I had a guide of sorts in a work colleague. He showed me the "Local Eateries" etc. Some great places, food and beer, but not many to suit wheelchairs unfortunately. Times will have changed of course, but look to the local stuff and a little out of the main IMHO - as I said, transportation is great.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

VincentD wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:18 pm Ah. So you were stationed at Tengah. They had some really nice air shows with the Lightnings. Some of my colleagues at the aerospace place I worked at came from the SAF, they had a band playing music just outside the base. We did get together in 2017 for a jam session and played for a friend's wife's 60th birthday. Yup, great memories. Sweet dreams.
:D :twisted:
No. I was in HMS Terror which was the Naval Base and dockyard in Sembawang.

Lots of pics which include the original HMS Terror, the ship.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hms+ter ... 9BpJ16lH6M
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

VincentD wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 pm BTW, of your remember the amahs, you'll probably remember the female construction workers uniforms. A dark blue tunic and trousers to match with a red hat shaped like a roof.
Can't say I remember the detail. I do remember that it was the women that did all the work while their male partners played Mahjong or something similar. Women were the hod carriers, not the men.

I think they had it right. :run: