Things That Wind Me Up Driving In Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Things That Wind Me Up Driving In Thailand

Post by joelle »

buksida wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:59 am
Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:46 am In the UK (and I presume every other country where you are taught to drive properly), it is not just learning how to turn the ignition key, press the accelerator, press the brake, etc. You are taught to read the road, which includes road signs, paint on the road and what is actually happening all around you. Here in Thailand, those are skills that are sadly lacking. It is not just roundabouts, but on Thai roads in general.
This is because the driving test, just like the education system, was designed half a century ago and they refuse to change it. You don't have to go near a road to pass your test and get a driving license in Thailand. Playing with apps, watching more videos, and getting into military-style queues is not going to improve driving skills or road awareness.
You only need to go to the DLT and watch when they take their driving tests and you get your answers as to why... :banghead:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I don't profess to be perfect (well almost!!) but I learned a lot when taking instruction for my advanced test. I remember my instructor asking me on occasion why I indicated to turn left/right. "Because that's what I'm doing". "So who are you indicating to? There is zero traffic in sight." I followed on to say that it's an automatic reaction which prompted him to tell me that it's a habit and shows that I'm not aware of the situation around me! Every decision should be a conscious decision.
I went on to pass my test which was a 'commentary' test. You had to constantly note 'hazards' i.e. bus stops, crossings, what was in front and behind and any decision other drivers are probably going to make.
It certainly taught me to be aware of my surroundings at all times.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:49 am I don't profess to be perfect (well almost!!) but I learned a lot when taking instruction for my advanced test. I remember my instructor asking me on occasion why I indicated to turn left/right. "Because that's what I'm doing". "So who are you indicating to? There is zero traffic in sight." I followed on to say that it's an automatic reaction which prompted him to tell me that it's a habit and shows that I'm not aware of the situation around me! Every decision should be a conscious decision.
I went on to pass my test which was a 'commentary' test. You had to constantly note 'hazards' i.e. bus stops, crossings, what was in front and behind and any decision other drivers are probably going to make.
We’ve had this debate before and although in general what you/your instructor say is correct, at the time when you are commencing your manoeuvre (e.g. when turning left and traveling at 90kph) you might indicate your intentions say 300 metres before. At that point there may be nobody in sight, but before you reach the turning, a vehicle could come to the junction, if you are not indicating then the driver doesn’t know what you are intending to do, so as a minimum you should be selective about indicating.

Like you, I practice driving awareness as a matter of course.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I actually agree with you and even now I'll indicate whether there's traffic or not. When I laid that on the instructor his reply, from memory, was that if you can't see traffic then neither can they see you. You should signal your maneuver to vehicles that can see you!!
But 'instructors' often use theory rather than what is done in practice.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think that the biggest difference is that here many Thais will indicate without thinking (or looking) whereas you and I do both!!
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Yeh agree with all BB has written, however, here in Saudi substitute motorcycles with cars, cutting around you at u- turns even if a small gap they will go for it. But yes, Thailand is not a place for the faint hearted driver. :roll:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:49 am I went on to pass my test which was a 'commentary' test. You had to constantly note 'hazards' i.e. bus stops, crossings, what was in front and behind and any decision other drivers are probably going to make.
What you describe as a 'commentary' test was part of the theory test in the UK when my son took his about 14 years ago. Certainly nothing advanced about that these days.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I did similar to what HHTel did only mine was in Saudi by a UK Advanced driver instructor, but no test was possible. What you have to do when you’re driving is explain what you’re doing and why and to identify potential hazards - e.g. when approaching crossroads where you have right of way, being aware of drivers coming from side roads. Approaching parked cars you’re aware of the potential of the offside door opening. Mentioning upcoming traffic lights and being aware of the possibility that they may change and you’ll need to stop - you’ve checked your rear-view mirrors to be aware of trailing vehicles etc, etc.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

handdrummer wrote, “I think what happens is that Thai drivers take a stupid pill in the morning and it lasts all day.”
Unfortunately, it isn’t just Thai drivers. Many Farang try to mimic (badly) Thai drivers. I am the first to admit that I have picked up a lot of bad habits whilst adapting to Thai driving. I think, despite a lot of years driving experience, I’d probably struggle to pass a UK driving test now.

Dannie Boy wrote, “The Lane weavers, be them the lowered, souped-up pickups belching black diesel fumes, or somebody (probably from Bangkok) doing the same in their BMW or Merc.”
To an extent, lane weaving is one of the bad habits we all have to adapt, or double our journey time. OK, some of the nutters take it to the extreme, but I defy anybody to attempt a long journey in a lawful lane. As for belching of black diesel fumes, I hope I’ve not reached that stage yet, but these vehicles must be passing a MOT each year. :run:

Dannie Boy wrote, “The lack or late use of indicators, especially when you’re at a junction waiting to pull out and the approaching car turns into your road without signaling.”
I agree with this absolutely. Very annoying.

HHTel wrote, “Pretty much everything that BB mentions is actually against Thai law. It'll not change until there is actual enforcement and I don't see that happening anytime soon.”
Of course, that is already the theme of many posts on this forum. Thailand needs a Police Force.

STEVE G wrote, “Car drivers slowing down to walking pace for every slight defect in the road surface.”
Yes, very relevant if you live near Soi 94, Soi 88 (I’ve heard they are fixing it after many years) or need to go across any rail crossing. I do wonder why. Is everybody’s suspension shot away? Surely, the cost of extra fuel slowing down every few yards will eventually outweigh the cost of fixing the suspension if it goes. I must say, I don’t go to such extremes, and my suspension is still fine after 10 years.

buksida wrote, “My gripes would be more about cars/trucks/busses since I spend more time on two wheels than four and most of the bike rants apply to them too!”
Absolutely, everybody’s gripe will differ according to circumstance. The one common theme though is we have gripes :D@

Joelle wrote,

“- bikes/cars driving the opposite way (or not) at night with no lights on”

Really? I’ve never seen them :D . Seriously, yes a regular problem, but personally, I’m sort of used to it.

”- bikes darting from a side road to the main without looking”
Of course, and cars as well. One of the worst places I know is the back road from Market Village to Bluport, where it crosses Soi 94. An absolute nightmare, and a major accident waiting to happen.

”- double and treble parking on a main busy road when there's a market”
A very serious problem if you are not expecting it. The example that springs to mind (although there are a few) is the market on the left hand side of Petchkasem a bit North of Venezia. Cars are usually travelling quite fast along that stretch, and to suddenly find 3 lanes reduced to 1 is scary.

”- stopping in the middle of a roundabout to let vehicles coming from left pass”
This is my point about reading the road.

”- at school times cars stopping in the middle of the road to offload or pick up their angels regardless of the traffic building up behind”
Similar problem to the market parking above.

”- tooting at you to go forward when you have cars in front of you”
I don’t think I’ve experienced this one.

”- the most shocking around Hua Hin, for me, is nobody moves to let ambulances go by even when they have the sirens on “
I think most of us will find this one strange if we obey the sirens etc. in our home country. I must say, I always pull over. However, I can understand why many locals ignore the blues and twos. Several times I’ve seen the flashing lights and heard the sirens, so have pulled over. The ambulance has stopped a few hundred yards ahead at a 7-11 for food and drink. When they play that game, they get what they deserve. We just have to hope that it isn’t one of us in the back one day when nobody lets the ambulance through. Additionally, there doesn’t seem to be any regulation as to who can have these flashing lights. I had a friend who had lights fitted to his truck. Yes, it often worked to get through traffic, but it is arseholes like that who leave people dying in the back of ambulances.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Regarding your last. Modification of lights, except emergency vehicles (fire, ambulance, military) is illegal in Thailand and carries a fine of 50,000 baht.
Never heard of anyone falling foul of that law though.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

For those who've never done a 'commentary' test. It probably took me more practice for that than any other point. Once you get the hang of it you have to speak very quickly to get everything in:

"Taking the next turn left passing a bus stop on my left with 3 people waiting checking rear view mirror using indicators to signal a left turn changing gear from 4th to 3rd car behind me moving to overtake me car waiting to turn left and joining the main road ............ and on and on"
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:47 pm For those who've never done a 'commentary' test. It probably took me more practice for that than any other point. Once you get the hang of it you have to speak very quickly to get everything in:

"Taking the next turn left passing a bus stop on my left with 3 people waiting checking rear view mirror using indicators to signal a left turn changing gear from 4th to 3rd car behind me moving to overtake me car waiting to turn left and joining the main road ............ and on and on"
t seems that would be distracting.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ not if one is a Class 1 Advanced driver. Good practice for when you have to give a commentary during a high speed pursuit. Once in a while I will drive 100% to the "system" down Memory Lane. :thumb:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not distracting at all. Quite the opposite. You have to be very focused.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Two things, among many, that I'm always annoyed by is that, firstly, motorcycles never look before joining the road (which is odd because they will die, not me)... and secondly, a total lack of depth perception by people in cars/trucks that think they can pull out into the road or across your right-of-way and just make it by a few meters... total morons. Don't even get me started on Scooter-Boy... :cuss:
The standard of Thai driving is very poor all round... but I have escaped incident thus far due to my skills, not theirs.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol