Covid-19 Omicron Variant

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Covid-19 Omicron Variant

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:45 am That still doesn't answer your implication that GSK-Vir is no good if you contract Omicron after being vaccinated. It's a treatment, not a vaccine.
Sorry, I didn't realize it was a treatment and not a vaccine. I didn't mean to imply that it is no good.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Source : Facebook page Hua Hin Today
Thailand has detected 2 more potential cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 in two Thai women returning from Nigeria, the CCSA announced today Wednesday 8th December
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

BioNTech, Pfizer say test shows 3 doses of vaccine neutralize Omicron

https://www.aol.com/finance/biontech-pf ... 30810.html

If true it would be nice
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

More details have been released related to the timeline of two more potential Omicron cases found in Thailand:
Thailand has detected two more possible cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Wednesday.
The cases were discovered in two Thai women who had travelled back from Nigeria.
The women, aged about 46 and 36, respectively, had travelled on the same Qatar Airways flight via Doha, which landed in Bangkok on Nov 24.
The women had already entered into mandatory 14 day quarantine as they had not yet been vaccinated, health officials said.
As part of entering quarantine, they were required to take RT-PCR test on Nov 24, which were confirmed as positive.
They told health officials in Thailand they had not worn a mask while attending a crowded meeting in Nigeria.

On Nov 26, the World Health Organisation announced the discovery of the Omicron variant.
Following the announcement health officials in Thailand decided to retest the samples given by the two women as a precautionary measure.
The additional test results are expected within one to two days, health officials.

More info: https://www.huahintoday.com/thailand-ne ... -thailand/
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Additional info to the above
Attachments
FB_IMG_1639036675850.jpg
(214.47 KiB) Downloaded 575 times
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Masks do not prevent covid they help stopping the spread .
buksida

Post by buksida »

Omicron found in 2 people with booster shots
Two Singapore residents may have caught the Omicron variant even after receiving Covid-19 booster shots, in cases which may shed light on the protection offered by a third dose of vaccine.

A 24-year-old female airport passenger-service worker has returned a preliminary positive test to Omicron, in what would be the city-state’s first local case of the variant, the health ministry said in a statement late Thursday.

The second person is considered an imported case after returning from Germany via the vaccinated travel lane on Dec 6. Both had received a third dose of vaccines, the ministry said.

Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SE earlier this week said initial lab studies show a third dose of their Covid-19 vaccine may be needed to neutralise the Omicron variant.

Company researchers observed a 25-fold reduction in neutralising antibodies that fight the variant, compared with the original strain of the virus, in people who got just two shots. However, boosting with an additional shot of the vaccine restored protection to a level similar to the initial two-dose regimen.

"Given its high transmissibility and spread to many parts of the world, we should expect to find more Omicron cases at our borders and also within our community," Singapore’s health ministry said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/22299 ... ster-shots
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Like a flu

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Let’s all hope that Omicron does indeed turn out to be less serious in terms of how ill it makes patients, but I believe that most experts are saying that they need to see more evidence before coming to that conclusion.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:19 pm Let’s all hope that Omicron does indeed turn out to be less serious in terms of how ill it makes patients, but I believe that most experts are saying that they need to see more evidence before coming to that conclusion.
Exactly. I believe the big concern however, is how heavily mutated the Omicron strain is and how transmissible it is. Based on this, future strains could well be resistant to vaccines and be far more serious.

There will be arguments to say that the Influenza virus/Flu mutates constantly,however the degree of the Omicron mutation is frightening. Should this continue, all bets could be off....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sounds like one of Trump's viruses - "It'll magically go away!"
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:Sounds like one of Trump's viruses - "It'll magically go away!"
Perhaps a swig of bleach might do the trick?

No doubt even the sceptics are hoping that Omicron will turn out to be less dangerous that the Alpha and Delta strains, but at this early stage, only a fool would assume that’s going to be the outcome, so all necessary precautions should be taken until they know one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:54 am

No doubt even the sceptics are hoping that Omicron will turn out to be less dangerous that the Alpha and Delta strains, but at this early stage, only a fool would assume that’s going to be the outcome, so all necessary precautions should be taken until they know one way or another.

It’s 2 weeks into Omicron and Alec Baldwin has still killed more people.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

nil wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:54 am

It’s 2 weeks into Omicron and Alec Baldwin has still killed more people.
Have you looked at what happened after the first outbreak and first recorded deaths - before making stupid claims you’d better hope that Omicron doesn’t follow a similar or worse pattern!!