The Greatest Sportsmen & Sportswomen

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: The Greatest Sportsmen & Sportswomen

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:15 pm I'm a Borg fan!
Resistance is futile! But can assimilation and planetary destruction really be considered sports?
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think any sportsman can only really be judged against the best of their generation.

However, I do agree there are some individuals and teams who can rise above that. But they are few and far between. I am thinking of the Brazil team of 1970, Federer and I too would add Thompson. Sportsmen and women that had an aura about them and their achievements.
Talk is cheap
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I assumed we were only talking about British stars. If we include the rest of the world then the list becomes enormous: Jack Nicklaus, Walter Hagen, Arnold Palmer, Bobby Jones, Rod Laver, Bjorn Borg, Martina Navratilova, Cassius Clay, Rocky Marciano, Eddy Merkx, Johan Cruyff, Pele, Barry John, Carl Lewis, etc., etc.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HarryVardon wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 pm I assumed we were only talking about British stars. If we include the rest of the world then the list becomes enormous: Jack Nicklaus, Walter Hagen, Arnold Palmer, Bobby Jones, Rod Laver, Bjorn Borg, Martina Navratilova, Cassius Clay, Rocky Marciano, Eddy Merkx, Johan Cruyff, Pele, Barry John, Carl Lewis, etc., etc.
In what way would the title "The Greatest Sportsmen & Sportswomen" limit the choice to "British stars"? This is not meant as a particularly serious debate, more a light hearted question as to people's opinion on sporting stars..... lighten up.... "know what I mean Harry" :D :wink:
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:23 pm Resistance is futile! But can assimilation and planetary destruction really be considered sports?
Christ, don't you start..... :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Here is one no one talks about Jonathan Edwards set the world record for the hop skip and jump in 1995. He has held that record for longer than Bob Beamans long jump. Both were very good athletes.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:01 am Here is one no one talks about Jonathan Edwards set the world record for the hop skip and jump in 1995. He has held that record for longer than Bob Beamans long jump. Both were very good athletes.
"Hop, skip and jump"..... not heard that for many a year :wink: :D ! Jonathan Edwards' "Triple Jump" record was quite incredible - a new technique that certainly worked for him..... at least for a while. A bolt from the blue and didn't really compete over time - there one minute, gone the next. Much the same as Lynn Davies' Long Jump record - never heard of him? There you go.... :wink:

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:01 am Here is one no one talks about Jonathan Edwards set the world record for the hop skip and jump in 1995. He has held that record for longer than Bob Beamans long jump. Both were very good athletes.
If I remember correctly he hop, skip and jumped a world record jump... then beat that world record jump 5 minutes later with a better world record jump. :D

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:34 am Much the same as Lynn Davies' Long Jump record - never heard of him? There you go....
I remember Lynn Davies very well, she was a fine Welsh athlete.

2 more British suggestions: Nick Faldo and 'Enery Cooper.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:22 am
pharvey wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:34 am Much the same as Lynn Davies' Long Jump record - never heard of him? There you go....
I remember Lynn Davies very well, she was a fine Welsh athlete.
Are you planning on visiting Wales anytime soon.....?
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I Have enjoyed playing and watching snooker for years (to many to count). I remember pot black in black and white.
This weekend I watched the final of the world championship. 0'Sullivan was brilliant on the first session, useless on the second and superb on the third. When he is on form it is like watching an artist, his skill is amazing. He seems to struggle with himself sometimes, but when he is on form, no-one can beat him. He is the best I have ever seen.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Good God, "Pot Black" now there's a blast from the past! Remember it, but not in Black & White.....

Used to enjoy snooker, but have not watched for many years now. 0'Sullivan may be a class player, but in all honesty he's a complete @reshole - can't stand the man.

I remember the likes of Terry Griffiths, Ray Reardon, Cliff Thorburn et tal - and who could forget Bill Werbeniuk who would down 20 odd pints a match..... and still play a wonderful game. :thumb:

lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

There was a commentator when it was in black and white who said, the red ball is behnd the blue ball, if forget who it was but it has appeared on many blooper programmes.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

If we are talking about the best snooker player (and billiards) of all time it has to be Joe Davis. His brother Fred was almost as good.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HarryVardon wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:00 am If we are talking about the best snooker player (and billiards) of all time it has to be Joe Davis. His brother Fred was almost as good.
I,m guessing you are rather advanced in years looking at some of your choices. Personally speaking I think that Ronnie O'Sullivan would wipe the floor with Fred or Joe. As for Duncan Edwards he was tragically killed in the Munich air crash aged 21yrs so he hadn't yet reached his full potential and certainly not achieved any successes of note to be mentioned alongside Pele,Ronaldo(both), Messi et al.

Nice choices but mired in nostalgia :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sateeb wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:52 am
HarryVardon wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:00 am If we are talking about the best snooker player (and billiards) of all time it has to be Joe Davis. His brother Fred was almost as good.
Personally speaking I think that Ronnie O'Sullivan would wipe the floor with Fred or Joe.
Not a chance. He'd have died of boredom while waiting for his turn...
This is the way