Cycling - Dog Attacks

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Cycling - Dog Attacks

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Gabe H Coud wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 am thanks for the tips guys. this dog continues to hassle me, and he hides for extra stealth shock effect too!! maybe I just need to get used to it before I spray him with WD 40 or wield a cane in his direction! haha....ps I should add I love dogs I really do just not ones that try and knock me off my bike!
I’d still recommend trying the cane first - not too difficult to fix along the crossbar and still get quick access - you’ve probably already got one but if not cheap as chips (in fact cheaper these days)!
Especially Burger King chips, no way I'm buying those separately!!

Back on topic....will I be arrested by the far left PC animal rights activists for wielding a cane 15 feet from a deranged dog who looks like he wants to kill me? As this is quite a busy spot where Fido likes to harangue passers by. Maybe he has some local fans?

Ps did I mention that I love dogs?! Is that enough to get me out of jail? Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’d be fairly certain you’ll be a lot less at risk than if you pulled out a taser type machine or even a spray bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:03 pm
Dannie Boy wrote:
Gabe H Coud wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 am thanks for the tips guys. this dog continues to hassle me, and he hides for extra stealth shock effect too!! maybe I just need to get used to it before I spray him with WD 40 or wield a cane in his direction! haha....ps I should add I love dogs I really do just not ones that try and knock me off my bike!
I’d still recommend trying the cane first - not too difficult to fix along the crossbar and still get quick access - you’ve probably already got one but if not cheap as chips (in fact cheaper these days)!
Especially Burger King chips, no way I'm buying those separately!!

Back on topic....will I be arrested by the far left PC animal rights activists for wielding a cane 15 feet from a deranged dog who looks like he wants to kill me? As this is quite a busy spot where Fido likes to harangue passers by. Maybe he has some local fans?

Ps did I mention that I love dogs?! Is that enough to get me out of jail? Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Carrying a stick is fine. Many do it. If you are walking rather than cycling, just bending down pretending to pick some stones up usually had the dogs running.

You can also try talking to the dogs. See what they're angry about.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

There is a small flashlight that I purchased a few years back from Lazada. Flash on one side, the other is a electronic stunner that discharges a small voltage. When you turn the stunner on it emits that electronic chatter that is very loud. Every dog seems to run for the hills when that is turned on. Maybe easy to use while riding, just don't stun your self!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Do you bike off or on roads, roadbike or Mtb?
hahuahin
Gabe H Coud

Post by Gabe H Coud »

on roads, MTB style.
Met a local last night(actually maybe Vietnamese) and was telling story of Fido
he assured me that I need to confront to the dog to show him I'm not scared of him
think someone may have said that above especially the stick wielder!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I must say that the above has worked for me on numerous occasions. When being chased on the bike, stop the bike and get off. Also I've 'growled and barked' myself at a group of dogs and they usually scarper.

However, I don't recommend that. The one time it doesn't work, you could finish up being severely bitten.