Printers

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Printers

Post by Scout »

Deciding on a printer requires navigating a multi-level decision tree, each level of the decision making process is easily researched on google or other search engines. Some of the decision points I navigated were:
1. Color versus B/W
2. Wireless versus hard-wired
3. Printing volume requirements
4. Cost of purchase considerations
5. Cost of per page printed considerations
6. What devices will you print from (PC (Windows based), Apple (IOS), Android, etc.
7. How long must your printed pages last before fading.
8. Printer only or printer plus scanner (if scanner, is a document feeder needed for scanning multiple page documents with ease)

For me, I wanted my printed pages to live in my file cabinet for years without fading, which meant selecting a Laser Printer, not an Ink Jet. I also wanted wireless, so the printer could be placed anywhere and didn’t need to be tethered to a computer. Lower printing costs also pointed me to a laser jet, not inkjet. One of my major decisions was I wanted to be able to print from my Windows based PC (I believe most printers can do this) AND from my iPad and iPhone (requires selecting a printer that has “AirPrint” technology). Another major consideration was I did not want on-going maintenance issues (all inkjet computers require regularly running the head cleaning software utilities) while laser jets print trouble free until the toner cartridge starts running low. Color was not a requirement for me. A multi-function device, printer plus scanner was almost the same price as printer only, but I opted not to get the fax option. After navigating the decision tree I settled on an HP Laserjet Pro MFP M125nw and shopped for best price. Lazada was the lowest price, I think I paid about 3000 baht, maybe a little more. It’s been working trouble free for 4 years now, I add paper when needed and replace the toner cartridge about every 1.5 years. Toner cartridges are readily available on Lazada or at the Shopping Mall.

I also have a Cannon Inkjet printer/scanner for color jobs, bought it at Banana, added after-market ink tanks and have had it for about 6 years. It worked ok for a couple few years, but now the heads are clogged EVERY time I go to use it for printing. The scanner still works well. Because of the maintenance issues I HATE the inkjet Cannon and keep threatening to trash it, but I love the scanner with document feeder so will probably keep it around. My HP scanner works well, but doesn’t have a document feeder.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Printers

Post by Bluesky »

HHTel wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 am The Epson has refillable tanks. As has been said, if not used then the nozzles can become blocked. The epson has software that will clean the heads or even flush the nozzles, which has proven effective.
I would avoid the ones that work from an ink cartridge.
Agree with yours and Nereus's comments re cartridges. Recently got grumpy with the cost of replacement cartridges for our printer and having run out of ink once again (probably paid for the printer many times over on cartridges) we ended up buying a a Brother (wireless) printer(Scan/copy/print) with with a refill tank system. We do print material fairly regularly and so far have been more than happy with it. Can print wirelessly from any of the phones, iPads, laptop and desktop and Android TV.
The cost of ink refill bottles was quite negligible to cartridges. Probably the main issue being that the printer does need to be used regularly to avoid printhead clogging and was recommended when the purchased that we run a couple of colour copies off a month (negligible cost compared to cartridges) if we are not using the printer.

We ended up buying from market village as the price for the make and model was pretty close to Lazada and other online sellers.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-