The Thai Family Coming to Town

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: The Thai Family Coming to Town

Post by richard »

Frank La Rue wrote:
However, one western delight immediately cought on, Wafels!

I don't really know if these are western in origin but we have made them evening, morning and afternoon now and I have been sent out shopping for more flour, milk and eggs. :thumb:
Dutch originally I think followed closely by France and Scandinavia

Interesting though as I've never seen Thais eating them here. Keep up the reporting :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

oakdale160 wrote:Really interesting, keep the reports coming. I have to admire your efforts to host a Thai family in the far north.
It is easy to spot what visitors dislike, be sure to let us know what impresses them

Well, for a start they like Waffels! :D

I have another post lined up as Draft, just trying to figure out how to upload pics of the thais first encounter with snow. :shock:
System tells me the files are too big, there is a limit of 200 KiB and the files are 1500 and 2000. Took them with Smart phone. Have asked Mod for help
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Frank La Rue wrote:
oakdale160 wrote:Really interesting, keep the reports coming. I have to admire your efforts to host a Thai family in the far north.
It is easy to spot what visitors dislike, be sure to let us know what impresses them

Well, for a start they like Waffels! :D

I have another post lined up as Draft, just trying to figure out how to upload pics of the thais first encounter with snow. :shock:
System tells me the files are too big, there is a limit of 200 KiB and the files are 1500 and 2000. Took them with Smart phone. Have asked Mod for help

Anyone - if you know of this issue with datasize of the pic files please let me know - I dont see why my pics would be too big KB wise when everybody else upload pics regularly
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Have PM'd a response. For anybody else with similar problems, the answers should be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16714
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I'm on Win 8.1 and use

http://www.resizeyourimage.com/
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks richard, we could probably ask 10 people and get 10 solutions. However, we're straying from the subject Frank's Thai Family Coming to Town.
:offtopic: please
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Thanks both - I think it's sorted now - BB I just did not scroll down far enough in the link from your PM - I found there this shrink -functionality which I just used (I think) successfully :D
Last edited by Frank La Rue on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:Thanks richard, we could probably ask 10 people and get 10 solutions. However, we're straying from the subject Frank's Thai Family Coming to Town.
:offtopic: please
The OP asked a simple question so I answered it. Having got the answer I assumed he would then steer us ALL back on topic with some pictures. Over to you FdR
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

BOTH: We're back on Track:

1st morning the household started to move about six o'clock in the morning....... :P

My predictions the night before was that they would sleep well as the lower temperature and fresh air is good for sound sleep.
All heartily consumed more wafles and six thirty in the morning the kids were ready to go out and explore the immediate environment where we live. :dance:

True to style they all went out without socks on their feet but wearing winter gloves from my son to protect their hands in the 5+ C degrees cold April morning. :roll:
As my son now was prawn to take their lead and not seek daddy's advice anymore he had taken off his socks as well.
Fortunately our environment is not all too eventfull at this time in the morning so by the time I went off to work in order to accomplishs some things involving time differences (I am doing some project work remotely with Singapore) before taking a few days off to enjoy with family, all were back in in time for Mickey Mouse Club House on Childrens TV.
On my way back from work I got a call to swing by the local shopping centre where all had roamed the shops - soaking in the 1st impressions.

Compared to Big C and Tesco Lotus it deserve to be said that the latter retail outlets have to me always seemed as well managed and stocked as any supermarket in Europe, so the only thing making an impression on them were the prices. :shock:

Chicken - rice for lunch and off we went to take a look at the famous ski jump (Holmenkollen - regional World Fame as only a handfull of countries dulge in this sport) in Norway and try ski jumping in the simulator. The views from above impressed them and also me but the souvenir shop took prime precedence in order to collect some memorabilia - T-shirts and necklace amulettes with Viking symbols!

For a relatively modest price I apparently outfitted them for Rock Stardom in their local schoolyard. :rasta:

Then came the encounter with Snow:
Attachments
Can I touch this??
Can I touch this??
600.family in snow.2.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 656 times
What is this - will we sink??
What is this - will we sink??
600. Family Snow.jpg (46.32 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Frank: You have the patience of a saint. I'm really enjoying your posts.

VS :cheers:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Vital Spark wrote:Frank: You have the patience of a saint. I'm really enjoying your posts.

VS :cheers:

VS, thank you for those kind words. I don't think I am that much of a saint really. I have known wife's sister and her kids for the last 10 years and we all get allong well together.
The kids are well behaved and not noicy, whenever wife, son and I stay in Thailand we are offered the continued use of one of their two cars, most of the time one or more of the kids stay with us during the week in our apartment as company for our little son and we mostly stay together over the weekends.
We spend time in Cha Am/Hu Hin together every year and we have also done numerous other excursions around Thailand together, over the years.

Wife's sister let me in on a cunning scheeme with a great laugh after we had married.

As we were dating and when I was either in Norway or Singapore on some project work, the sister, their cousin and my wife - to - be had established a customer service - desk just for Frank.

Wife-to- be worked as a sales representative for the family's company (They manufacture Buddah statues up to 3 meters high in Kanchanaburi for the Asean market- quite a nice little operation) and was on the road lot of the time. The sister did the accounts for clients and worked from home, the cousin is a nurse and worked shiftt, i.e. often she was free in the day or in the night after evening shifts, so the two latter could man my wife's email account when she could not.

Between the three of them they worked out a schedule were any email from me would get a resonse within 1/2 an hour.
They all got access to my wife's email account and if the one manning the desk at that time of the day was unsure what to answer they had conference calls with wifey on the mobile to confirm her position on issues, anything from love declarations to marriage preparations, travel dates etc, etc.

They later told me they had a hillarious time setting me up nicely for the best of intent (well, in their view).
Was I reigned in? - it sounds like, howerever our marriage is going well in it's 10th year and they chose to tell me as a funny story so I let it pass. 8)
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

As we returned home from our visit to the Ski Jump and the encounter with real snow, our visitors were kinda tired on their first day. The kids slumped around on the couches and sofas with their iPads and the childrens Television.
Wife and sister started to prepare a thai meal with the imported ingredients and rice from "my" mega sack of rice.
As I sat there with the 4th book from the Red Gambit Series (See separate thread) I hear some quiet piano playing.
The youngest daughter is playing a simple tune. To encourage her I go and watch her play.

She has the music sheet up on the screen of her iPad and the iPad on the little wooden stand attached to the piano where you in the old days would put the sheet in paper version, to play from.

Amused and stunned I realize that our future is being formed as we speak, or rather play, by technological changes like this.

What is next - do we print pampers at home from our 3D printers?

We go to bed for the 2nd night in anticipation of another day.

---------------------------------------------------------

Morning has broken and is accompanied by drizzling rain, No worries!

We have plan, or rather a list of things to do which we pick from as we discuss in the group over breakfast. We pick something according to the weather, our mood and what the kids would enjoy doing.
A visit to the Exhibition in Oslo where the KON TIKI and the sailing ships from the great arctic explorations to the North and South poles are preserved, wins the day. My wife and I have been there before so she knows that this may be more fun to kids and Asians then one might think, or rahter, it is usually more impressive to Asians than us northerners, who have the arctic climate, the myths and the achievemens as part of our lore.

Interestingly, on a rainy Eastster holiday the place is choke full with locals and foreign tourists alike (Chinese and Koreans), so I struggle to find somewehre to park!

As we line up at the ticket counter the girl behind it speak english to the Hebrew family in front of me, Norwegian to me and Thai to my family!

It turns out she is from Surin and married to a Norwegian. A very welcoming start to our visit :D

But now - first Thing First: THE THAI ESKIMOS:
THAI ESKIMOS!
THAI ESKIMOS!

To create a bit of expectations I had told the children about the live size Ice bears on display which had been hunted down in the Arctic and stuffed for display - an imposing sight. Pictures of these would add to their visiting experience and stories for friends to tell. The Ice bears did not disappoint:
You kever know who's behind you......
You kever know who's behind you......
Icebear Attack New Size.jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 513 times
The sailing ship FRAM allow for visitors to go onboard and below deck, which suited my little son just fine - he could now play hide and seek with all of us, which concerend me. Although the ship is well secured in most repsects there are places and steep stairs onboard to stumble down for a six year old.

The net result is that I was buzy keeping trail on him and trying to descend and mount stairs ahead of him to anticipate any accident, irate activity derailed me from making any pics onboard. As we came to the Sailing Raft KON TIKI however, shots for posterity were taken:
KONTIKI.Famil.Resize.jpg
Our Thai family was oblivious of this expidition, usefull reminder to us Norwegians oftentimes dvelling in our selfcontent ignorance, assuming that our place is on the world stage whereas other look Norway up in the Dictionary or the Telephone registre to find out what that is.

The story was not missed though - and there are som well made video clips to watch on large displays which very effectivley communicate without words what these endevours were about.

We returned home for a quiet evening in and for me to write this report. :wink:

To Readers and Moderators alike:

These stories are developing way outside of anything Hua Hin, if the thread is out of place I can post it elsewhere (Thai Visa?) for a bit of fun, just let me know, I will not be offended.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

This thread is full of HH content, how HH Thai people react to Norway, after all we constantly discuss the reverse.
I checked the Oslo weather, a little above freezing in the morning rising to a balmy 11c at noon. What is the reaction to that?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Great stuff Frank. Keep it coming

It's great to see how Thais react to our home countries.

Yes it's principally an HH forum promoting HH lifestyle, events, facilities et al but for many if not most of us it is refreshing and enlightening to hear of ventures involving Thais experiencing life in far off lands
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ and ^^, I agree. It's an interesting journal and fun to read. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source