Where has Dexamethasone gone?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Where has Dexamethasone gone?

Post by Vital Spark »

No, I haven't lost my dog - it's a drug that I give to my pregnant (untouchable) wild dog, to prevent her producing pups. I've used it several times before and it usually works.

I've bought it easily in the past from a variety of chemists in Hua Hin, but last week I got a resounding 'no'. Not even a millisecond of thought from the friendly chemist near the market.

It's a kind of steroid and I wonder if it's been banned. Should've bought the whole pot full last time. :(

If anyone knows where I can buy these pills, I'll be eternally greatful. Failing that (and hopefully not treading on Dawn's toes) I'll have a few gorgeous pups born in a month or so.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

if you cant find any locally you could try finding some online via an online pets pharmacy..... if you do choose to do that PM me with your hit list of sites and I can check them out for you as to whether they are legit or not.

Failing that you could try a bulk purchase via a B2B trade board like alibaba.com - again let me know who you are sourcing from and i can rattle you up a quick assessment of their legitimacy.

Thing is if this is a controlled substance under Thai customs law then you may get in trouble if you import it. Having looked it up it is a low level corticosteroid type steroid (used mainly in humans as an anti-inflammatory by the look of it) so you should be OK....then again TIT....

Option C is see is a petshop can order it for you......
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Thanks for the good advice SM.

I don't think it's generally recognised by vets for this kind of use, but I'll pop in and see the Pet Hospital man on Friday. He may come up with an alternative.

VS
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

If she has pups give me a call/pm me 8 weeks after they're born. If not, before then. We'll get her blowdarted & bring her in for neutering properly.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Thank you Dawn - would love to get her neutered (would need a blowdart) - but she is (I think) quite old. She may be almost 9 years old. Do dogs go through menopause?

I've just researched Dexamethasone on the Internet and found out that it shouldn't be sold in Thailand without prescription. It's a kind of steriod used by atheletes (although it has many other uses) and it's on the list of prohibited drugs in Thailand. It certainly shouldn't be sold over the counter by the places that I used to buy it. I guess they're tightening up a bit (which is a shame). For goodness sake, I don't want to get a Gold Medal at the Olympics, I only want to stop unwanted puppies being born!

Ho hum, I'll have another go on Friday. If only the locals would have their wandering dogs neutered I wouldn't have this problem. If only someone had given her (Mrs. White) some loving attention, then she wouldn't be so scared of humans. So many if onlys....

VS
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

VS, you said
I've used it several times before and it usually works.
If it's not 100% successful, surely you should be taking Dawn's offer of neuter as your first option.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Ho hum, I'll have another go on Friday. If only the locals would have their wandering dogs neutered I wouldn't have this problem. If only someone had given her (Mrs. White) some loving attention, then she wouldn't be so scared of humans. So many if onlys....
that paragraph goes a long long way.....read in an open way.

I'll PM you :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Big Boy wrote:If it's not 100% successful, surely you should be taking Dawn's offer of neuter as your first option.
For sure, I'd love to neuter her, but the dart option hasn't really been an option up until now. She had fun with all the boys in the neighbourhood about a month ago and so is now probably pregnant. Neutering a pregnant dog is not done. Believe you me, I would have had her 'done' when we arrived here, I've given her knock-out drugs so I could give her an injection (didn't work - she just ran away like she was drunk!). Her legs were wobbly, but she could still outrun me.

I know it's a bit of a long-shot here Dawn, but do the neuter clinic do their magic outside Hua Hin? A kind of mobile thing in a local village hall. Just a thought...

VS
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

The neuter clinic will do pregnant dogs as long as they're not too far gone (ie viable foetuses). If you can get together enough dogs in one place and organise it, I'm sure the neuter clinic would do a day (about 30 dogs in a day) elsewhere. They also do cats.

What you would need: shelter/shade, fairly clean area, water (preferably running) 2 or 3 tables, cages to confine the dogs before & keep them safe whilst coming around. Giving the vets & helpers (maybe 4 people) a rice lunch & soft drinks/water is also appreciated. Let me know if you think you/villagers can get 30 or so dogs or cats together in one day and provide the above. If you can then I'll try & arrange it. A few can be blowdarted, but that would need to be done ahead of time (the vet technicians do it) and of course, they'd need to be confined for a week until healed
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!