The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:00 am The First Omen (2024) is just coming through, will be available very shortly. A prequel to the original omen movie of the 70s. A good cast, fairly mixed reviews.

(Bill Nighy plays a cardinal in it, DM 🤓)
The ORIGINALS are still the best - far too many classics.... :thumb:

And as an aside "lost" have you ever seen Bill Nighy and "DM" at the same time.... Hmmmm :wink: Oh, that reminds me....

[EDIT] Talking ORIGINALS, I'm just watching "The Big Boss" - you know, Bruce Lee, great acting, even better dubbing - but be fair, nice pics of Thailand and after all a rather infamous fight with Bruce Lee (did he or didn't he?)...

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^^^ I'm guessing the bad reviews are those comparing it to the original. Seen many good reviews so I'm sure it's a decent standalone movie. :D

Continuing with remakes, I watched one of the best films I've watched for some time last night. I don't know why it's taken me so long to get round to it. A remake of the incredibly popular Swedish movie Let the Right One In (2008) which I now need to watch, Let Me In (2010) is an outstanding movie. Starring Chloë Grace Moretz and Richard Jenkins, this vampire flick has easily moved into my top 20. :D

Links for anyone who is late to the party like meself...

https://yts.mx/movies/let-me-in-2010

The original Swedish one:

https://yts.mx/movies/let-the-right-one-in-2008

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 pm A remake of the incredibly popular Swedish movie Let the Right One In (2008) which I now need to watch, Let Me In (2010) is an outstanding movie. Starring Chloë Grace Moretz and Richard Jenkins, this vampire flick has easily moved into my top 20. :D
You were doing so well there, I was almost on the hook! Then the word 'vampire' popped up and I slipped back into the deep...
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:16 pm
Lost wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 pm A remake of the incredibly popular Swedish movie Let the Right One In (2008) which I now need to watch, Let Me In (2010) is an outstanding movie. Starring Chloë Grace Moretz and Richard Jenkins, this vampire flick has easily moved into my top 20. :D
You were doing so well there, I was almost on the hook! Then the word 'vampire' popped up and I slipped back into the deep...
It's not your usual vampire flick, DM. You'll be surprised to know, I'm not really a fan of vampire films. :D
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:16 pm
No, the 2008 film was definitely not in the regular vampire genre in the least, try it, it's great. If the 2010 one is half as good it might be watchable too.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

One for Lost..

Due out later this year
Trap (2024)

M. Night Shyamalan - "A father and his teen daughter attend a pop concert only to realize they've entered the center of a dark and sinister event."
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Ginjaninja wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:25 pm One for Lost..

Due out later this year
Trap (2024)

M. Night Shyamalan - "A father and his teen daughter attend a pop concert only to realize they've entered the center of a dark and sinister event."
I always look forward to a new M. Night film. :D

:cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

The first 20 minutes of Love Lies Bleeding looks like a hot girl on girl film, but it's setting up the story for a dark and violent love story, with some humour too. I thought it was great.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I hated it :laugh:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

BB your last two posts have been to firmly slate films that I endorsed! I'm not complaining, I just think we can agree that we have varying tastes. I'm eclectic, and find that while I often enjoy the films making box office, I also like left field films if they're well made, and Asian films (harder to find ones that are worth watching but they are out there, and avistaz.to is a good place to search). Modern films with too many gun fights and explosions usually, not always, leave me cold (unless they're westerns).

Raise the Red Lantern is a great 1991 Chinese film that I return to from time to time. My favourite film of all time is Viv Stanshall's Sir Henry at Rawlinson End.

The latest Baghead horror film had some good moments and was good overall but I hate when supernatural plot devices are not used in the same way each time (the hero doesn't get affected this time?...). Plus the ending was poor.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh wow!!! I've just checked, and I have :oops:

It is nothing personal, but neither film was to my liking. The first was a joint decision by my son and I to delete and find something better. The latest one lost my interest very quickly, although it did improve in the later stages.

I thought Baghead had an interesting approach to a horror movie, although it didn't really work for me.

I've never heard of Sir Henry at Rawlinson End, but am downloading as I type :D I'm not a person for subtitles, so haven't bothered with Raise the Red Lantern.

Points 51; Position 21
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:38 am I'm not a person for subtitles, so haven't bothered with Raise the Red Lantern.
I believe that more and more people watch even English language TV and films with subtitles on, even my son (in his 30s). For some I'm sure it's the mumbled speech in US films, or the dialect in Scottish/Irish films. Younger people do I think mainly because they're scrolling their phones all the time and find it easier to check the subs than pay attention to all of the dialogue. :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I fall into that category. I watched the Bob Marley movie a couple of days ago, and it was essential :oops:

I will usually leave the subs on, but can't read from start to finish.

Points 51; Position 21
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:23 pm Younger people do I think mainly because they're scrolling their phones all the time and find it easier to check the subs than pay attention to all of the dialogue. :D
For me it's quite the opposite: I don't like subtitles, because I'm often watching while doing something else, like cooking or housework, and subtitles require your full attention all the time.
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:09 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:23 pm Younger people do I think mainly because they're scrolling their phones all the time and find it easier to check the subs than pay attention to all of the dialogue. :D
For me it's quite the opposite: I don't like subtitles, because I'm often watching while doing something else, like cooking or housework, and subtitles require your full attention all the time.
You don't turn off the sound when you enable subs. They're just there to use when you want. :D