FA Cup 2025

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

FA Cup 2025

Post by Big Boy »

The recent rule change has upset a lot of real football clubs in England whilst the FA ponder to the Elite.

We had a discussion on here this season about the advantages of a good FA Cup run to smaller clubs. The new rules extinguish many of those advantages. So again, the Elite get their way, whilst onlookers have to suffer.

Cash wise, there was nothing sweeter than drawing a big club away from home, scraping a draw and enjoying a very lucrative replay - those days are gone. A lot of the magic has been wiped from one of football's oldest and established competitions. Many smaller clubs are up in arms over the decision. A decision made by the hierarchy, with minimal consultation.

The natives are revolting, calling for an immediate reversal.

If the Elite can't handle the heat, they should get out of the kitchen. Football is about a lot more than a couple of half-decent teams at the top of their game.
Championship Millwall 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: FA Cup 2025

Post by Dannie Boy »

To be honest, the glamour of the FA Cup probably disappeared about 20 years ago - other than in the final stages, most of the “big” clubs use it as an opportunity to field their youngsters/second stream players against lower opposition so the “big shocks” of yesteryear have become a thing of the past - aka Hereford from the Southern League v Newcastle then in the top tier first division back in 1972, who secured a shock 2-1 win with a Ronnie Radford 30 yard thunderbolt!!

Even now there are no replays after the fifth round, just extra time and penalties, so it’s not such a big issue, just another example of money ruling the game!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is a HUGE issue if you are a smaller club - many smaller clubs are telling the FA what they think of the decision, publicly. Having said that, it looks as though much of the criticism (official statements) by football clubs on social media has been taken down - probably forced by the FA.

If a BIG club chooses to field a crap side, then they face the consequences. History will still show the BIG club was put out of the tournament by the SMALL club. History will not record it was a BIG club's reserve team.

For the SMALL club, such a victory is like winning the World Cup.

If the Elite can't handle it, they should refrain from entering. Leave the doorway open for smaller clubs who have the interest, and maybe a road to Europe.

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not disagreeing with your sentiment - almost the opposite, it’s just that the glamour of the FA Cup disappeared years ago as far as I’m concerned - during my playing days I used to really look forward to one of the minnows getting a scalp - although I’d still be happy to see the same now, I just can’t get excited by it.

I still have fond memories of my local team Dartford hosting Plymouth Argyle in 1974 in the FA Cup and going down 2-3 - I was there and loved every minute of it!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was there as well. A few friends left when you were winning :laugh:

Points 48; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here is one open protest letter issued yesterday. It does contain some interesting revenue facts:
Dear Sirs,

We were first made aware of the proposal to remove FA Cup replays on 18th April 2024 when the announcement was made by the Football Association. We had not been consulted about this either by the Football Association or the National League.

We do not agree with the approach suggested, the provision of replays is a vital source of income for non-league clubs. The FA Cup is intrinsically linked with replays of fixtures and to suggest that they can be removed is contrary to history and the well-being of football as a whole.

The most recent study into the financial impact of the FA Cup was completed by Deloitte for the 2010/11 season and provided in January 2012. For example, the FA Cup revenue represented 70% of Havant & Waterlooville’s income during 2010/11.

There were 12 televised replays during 2010/11 which generated approximately £1.7m in broadcast fees. These fees will have substantially increased given there are an increased number of televised replays and the fixture fees are increased.

There are specific examples contained in the case study:
•Millwall – 2003/04 – Generated £300k in additional television receipts;
•Burton – 2005/06 – Generated £0.5m during a replay with Manchester United alongside £200k for television payments;
•Leyton Orient – 2010/11 – An additional £500k was generated due to the replay with Arsenal (when taken with the home fixture).

The above clearly demonstrates the financial importance of replayed fixtures. It is unfortunate that the FA do not appear to have undertaken any analysis/research.

The FA made a further announcement on 19th April 2024 indicating that the Premier League and EFL were consulted. It is unfortunate that National League clubs (i.e. those impacted) were not consulted.

We would invite the FA to provide a full explanation and to revert to a consultation that properly considers those stakeholders who are most fundamentally impacted by the proposed changes.

We are sending this as open correspondence and encourage fans and other member clubs to send the same correspondence. Yeovil Town’s motto is achieve by unity and the only way to challenge these changes will be if the National League and EFL clubs stand united.

Yeovil Town Football Club

Points 48; Position 21