Amazing Nature

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
pharvey

Re: Amazing Nature

Post by pharvey »

Well, it's another one that will interest our resident photographers, but just goes to show how truly amazing nature is :thumb:

British Birds Photographed With Rainbow Wings
RB-1.JPG
RB-1.JPG (45.76 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
RB-2.JPG
RB-2.JPG (24.26 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
"An "extraordinary mistake" led to a wildlife photographer being able to capture rare pictures of British birds showing light refracting through their wings in a rainbow effect.

The "act of transformation" can only be captured in certain conditions, he explained.

"The light has to be at a certain angle, you have to be shooting into the light, because if I was on the other side then all I would be getting was the first sunlight on the birds.

"There is literally about 15 minutes in the morning when the light is at the right angle."

The photographer shoots in "near darkness" using a camera with "amazing autofocus and low light capability".

"We live in a valley and as the light comes over the hedge it is going to be hitting that stick and the birds at just the right angle."

More details and photo's @https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0kdjdjkv8lo
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Amazing Nature

Post by Dannie Boy »

My son has just returned from a holiday in Mexico and this guy was a frequent visitor to the tables

Edit. I think I’ll have to save this in YouTube first!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ok now available as a YouTube clip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I was recently watching a Documentary on the History Chanel ("Britain's Secret Islands") and was amazed to learn that the UK has not only over 6,100 islands, skerries and sea stacks, but a thriving population of Scorpions on one of them!

The Yellow-Tailed Scorpion
The native range of Tetratrichobothrius flavicaudis extends through Northwest Africa and Southern Europe, but it has also been accidentally introduced into the United Kingdom at Sheerness Dockyard on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent, and parts of east London. The introduction is thought to have taken place in the early 19th century via a shipment of Italian masonry. The resulting colony, numbering 10,000 to 15,000 individuals in 2013, is the northernmost population of scorpions outside the Americas.[1]
In warm temperate climates, this species can be found in built-up areas. In the UK, the scorpion occupies cracks and holes in walls where the mortar pointing has crumbled away.
It is a mildly venomous scorpion, which rarely uses its stinger. Their sting is less painful than a bee sting to humans.[2]

Taken From - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetratric ... lavicaudis

They are best found at night with the use of an ultraviolet light/torch....

:cheers: :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

:alien:

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Re: Worldwide Positive News & Events

Post by PeteC »

Full Recovery for Coral Reef Within 4 Years – The Speed of Restoration They Saw was ‘Incredible’

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/full-re ... ncredible/

In a truly monumental discovery, scientists studying coral restoration in Indonesia found that artificially restored coral reefs can regrow as fast a naturally occurring reefs just 4 years after the initial transplantation.

With many reefs around the world believed to be threatened by stronger storms and acidic seas, the finding shows that as long as corals can survive in the water, humans can quickly rebuild reefs that are damaged......
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Self-cannibalism :D

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Nothing like chasing your own tail... :tsk: :duck: