The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:20 am Just goes to show how easy I am to please!!

On reflection it’s clearly not a blockbuster movie, but I never felt like turning it off which I’ve done with many others!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're an action film junkie, we all have our thing! :D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:30 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:20 am Just goes to show how easy I am to please!!

On reflection it’s clearly not a blockbuster movie, but I never felt like turning it off which I’ve done with many others!!

Absolutely - anything with Jason Statham and I’m there!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:

Anything with Statham and I'm certainly not there! As you say we all have our thing...

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:34 am

Have you watched Operation Fortune yet? I'd not heard of this one but watched it the other day, really enjoyed it. A Guy Ritchie film that went under the radar for me. Statham, Hugh Grant, Josh Harnett. It's no Lock, Stock or The Gentlemen but good nevertheless.

Is on Prime.

https://yts.mx/movies/operation-fortune ... uerre-2023

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You won’t be surprised to hear that I’ve already watched it!!

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:27 pm You won’t be surprised to hear that I’ve already watched it!!
:thumb:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lost wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:20 pm Road House (2024). As a big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal, I was always going to enjoy this a little. Without him, I'm not entirely sure. Good fight scenes, it's a pretty mindless, easy watch. Something to stick on as a plan b. I've not seen the original Patrick Swayze movie of 1989, so no comparison. Conor Mcgregor's obnoxious presence (he basically plays himself) halfway through, certainly lowered the enjoyment factor for me.

Overall, quite entertaining. I've sat through much worse. 6 out of 10.

https://yts.mx/movies/road-house-2024
Crap acting, but I enjoyed the movie. Probably an A movie with a B movie cast.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son asked me to download The Favourite (2018). He asked me to download for the director, as opposed to the movie. Watched it last night - a strange movie, but quite funny at times. Overall, I enjoyed it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:10 am My son asked me to download The Favourite (2018). He asked me to download for the director, as opposed to the movie. Watched it last night - a strange movie, but quite funny at times. Overall, I enjoyed it.
I love Yorgos Lanthimos as director too. I don't think I've seen this one, thanks.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

404cameljockey wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:40 am
Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:10 am My son asked me to download The Favourite (2018). He asked me to download for the director, as opposed to the movie. Watched it last night - a strange movie, but quite funny at times. Overall, I enjoyed it.
I love Yorgos Lanthimos as director too. I don't think I've seen this one, thanks.
Not too familiar with his movies, but just noticed he directed The Lobster which I recently watched. Very weird movie, good though. :D

Not got round to Poor Things yet. The Favourite's got a great cast, will give that a whirl at some point, too.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:05 am Crap acting, but I enjoyed the movie. Probably an A movie with a B movie cast.
Oh good God man! :roll: Conor is a Oscar winner in the making...What, with the subtle (hardly exaggerated Irish lilt) and zero swagger? :D

Actually, I did enjoy it - downloaded to pass the time on a trip home, plenty of action, not much to think about, perfect! It wasn't as good as the original with Mr Swayze (and the great Sam Elliot) in my book, but being 30+ years ago - I was a tad younger!! :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A very good friend who I seem to have (well, probably have) known all my life just called to check up on my wellbeing as slightly "inebriated pals" do from time to time. For some unknown reason he had a wonderful flashback to a movie that we saw together when we were kids (it was old to us then!) and had decided to introduce his wife to it - thankfully she shares that same sense of humour!! :D Anywho, he just reminded me of these classics - going on for 80 years old, Black & White and still better than a great deal of cr@p given out these days...

No need for a "Download Link", here it is: -

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As I got taken to task (in a very jovial way) when I posted about the film Stratton, which apparently had a very low critics rating, last night I watched “Knives Out” starring Craig Daniel and I thought it was average at best, in fact I would normally have turned it off after 15-20 minutes, but was intrigued to see if it got any better. Well in my opinion I’d didn’t, but when I checked the reviews it scored very highly, so it just goes to show, that one man’s food is another one’s poison (so to speak)!!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:28 am As I got taken to task (in a very jovial way) when I posted about the film Stratton, which apparently had a very low critics rating, last night I watched “Knives Out” starring Craig Daniel and I thought it was average at best, in fact I would normally have turned it off after 15-20 minutes, but was intrigued to see if it got any better. Well in my opinion I’d didn’t, but when I checked the reviews it scored very highly, so it just goes to show, that one man’s food is another one’s poison (so to speak)!!
Very true.

Craig Daniel? That one was to test us, wasn't it! Or you used the Thai postal system of naming him. CRAIG Daniel....
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:34 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:28 am As I got taken to task (in a very jovial way) when I posted about the film Stratton, which apparently had a very low critics rating, last night I watched “Knives Out” starring Craig Daniel and I thought it was average at best, in fact I would normally have turned it off after 15-20 minutes, but was intrigued to see if it got any better. Well in my opinion I’d didn’t, but when I checked the reviews it scored very highly, so it just goes to show, that one man’s food is another one’s poison (so to speak)!!
Very true.

Craig Daniel? That one was to test us, wasn't it! Or you used the Thai postal system of naming him. CRAIG Daniel....
Exactly, either that or I’m getting older and more senile than I care to admit!!😜