Songkran to become 1 month festival

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
buksida

Re: Songkran to become 1 month festival

Post by buksida »

caller wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:19 am Im a bit confused about the extended songkran. As people still have to work, I am assuming the vast majority of Thai's will carry on as normal. A few days off, local noodle shops close, travel home and back again and then back to work. Local noodle shops re-open. So it will, for the majority, be all done and dusted much as before, is that right? We will still have the usual days to avoid travelling and all the rest of it. Or will there be a big difference compared to previous years?
Seems to be the case, whenever the govt announces these 'official holidays', its usually for govt employees, schools, banks, and the like. Everyone else still has to earn a crust and can't afford to take weeks off.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm even more confused because it was supposed to boost tourism. I am not aware of any advertising campaign outside of Thailand inviting people to travel here to get wet for a month, so who is the extended Songkran actually aimed at?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Government employees. :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

What I don't understand is that there will be one month of wasting water for amusement when there is severe drought threatening livelihood 🥴🤨
buksida

Post by buksida »

joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

buksida wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:38 am Not according to this: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... r-songkran
Ok, hadn't read this
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Thailand. The hub of U-Turns.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So, what's it going to be in Hua Hin? I read a few days ago that Hua Hin's Official event would be 11 to 13 April, held at Pae Mai Floating Market. I presume the floating market refers to the intensity of the event. I've just read Bluport will be staging their celebration from 13 to 16 April.

Methinks a damp couple of weeks.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:07 pm So, what's it going to be in Hua Hin? I read a few days ago that Hua Hin's Official event would be 11 to 13 April, held at Pae Mai Floating Market. I presume the floating market refers to the intensity of the event. I've just read Bluport will be staging their celebration from 13 to 16 April.

Methinks a damp couple of weeks.
I think "floating" is most likely a mistranslation.

Here's a non-Thai-language graphic about Songkran at Pae Mai:
431963510_903009258490883_3211190529961738152_n.jpg
(180.54 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
More info is available, in Thai, on the Pae Mai FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/PaemaiMarket/?locale=th_TH
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That makes more sense, but 'floating' is as described in local English press.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:That makes more sense, but 'floating' is as described in local English press.
Perhaps the writer in the "local English press" is confused by the market's name?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I believe it is a local publication, so he should know better.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:07 pm Methinks a damp couple of weeks.
I'd be more concerned about a couple of weeks of total gridlock in Hua Hin than a bit of water. We won't be driving anywhere for that period.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

hhinner wrote:
Big Boy wrote:That makes more sense, but 'floating' is as described in local English press.
Perhaps the writer in the "local English press" is confused by the market's name?
The writer is also confused by the festival name "Songkran Wicker Basket Flower Shirt".

Google translate possibly?

The theme is "คอกระเช้าลายดอก" (kho krachao lai dok). Although กระเช้า (krachao) is indeed a wicker basket, คอกระเช้า (kho krachao) refers to clothing with a round neck, similar to a t-shirt. ลายดอก (lai dok) is a flower pattern.

In the graphic I posted above the logo at the top shows a couple of shirts.

We often complain about Thai reports having bad translations. Seems that local English language news outlets have the same problem in reverse.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Songkran confusion has tourism promoters red-faced

The sight of a bewildered Chinese tourist in full Songkran regalia — floral shirt and water gun — has put the government on the defensive, as it seeks to clarify that the main water-splashing festival will take place for three days and not three weeks.

At the heart of the confusion has been an ambitious plan to boost tourism by telling the world that Thailand is celebrating the Maha Songkran World Water Festival from April 1-21.

Many local residents are just as confused as foreign tourists about when and where the party is taking place. Among the latter was a Chinese man who posted a video of himself ready for action outside a Bangkok mall, only to find no one else was celebrating.

He told his tale on the Chinese video-sharing site Douyin and it was then shared by Daka China, a Facebook page featuring stories about China. A Thai translation was provided.

“Who should I celebrate with?” asks the tourist standing outside Terminal 21. “They say it’s being held from April 1-21, but why has it not turned out as expected? I hope there’s an explanation.”

SleeplessBKK, an account on the X platform, shared the video, tagged Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin and Pheu Thai leader Paetongtarn Shinawatra, and said it was an embarrassment.

Ms Paetongtarn, in her role as the country’s “soft power” tsarina, was one of the prime movers behind the three-week Songkran idea.

Government spokesman Chai Watcharonke told the Bangkok Post that while the festival lasts from April 1 to 21 across the country, activities are not being held simultaneously in every province.

He said the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has a calendar outlining the celebrations nationwide that will be extended across 21 days, but with the main celebrations being held from April 13-15 as usual in almost every province.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -red-faced