At least 20 dead in explosion at fireworks factory in central Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/least-15-dead ... 23943.html

At least 20 people have been killed in an explosion at a fireworks factory in central Thailand, police said on Wednesday.

The explosion was reported at a factory in Suphan Buri, about 120km (74.56 miles) north of Bangkok, at around 3.30pm, according to ThaiPBS.

Around seven people were injured in the mishap and taken to a hospital at Chao Phraya Yommarat in the province.

“We cannot tell whether all the workers were killed. The officials are entering the site to investigate. They have not found any survivors,” provincial governor Nattapat Suwanprateep told Reuters.

The fire has been controlled and workers were trying to confirm the exact number of casualties, said Kritsada Manee-In with the Samerkun Suphan Buri Rescue Foundation.

Visuals showed a huge pillar of black smoke rising in the air after the fire was doused.

Photos posted online by local rescue workers showed the site, in an otherwise unoccupied rice field, levelled flat aside from what were remnants of the factory.

Prime minister Srettha Thavisin, who is at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, was briefed on the explosion and called for a swift investigation.

“The prime minister ordered an inspection of the plant to see if it was operating legally and if the explosion was caused by negligence. The law must be enforced to the fullest extent because there are innocent deaths and injuries,” Mr Srettha’s office said.

The cause of the explosion remains unclear.

The incident coincides with a period of heightened demand for fireworks in the country and comes less than a month before the Chinese New Year in February.

In July 2023, a massive explosion rocked a fireworks warehouse in southern Thailand, leading to at least 10 deaths and 100 people injured, as reported by officials. The explosion in the Narathiwat province happened in a residential area, gutting at least 100 houses within 500m radius.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Re: At least 20 dead in explosion at fireworks factory in central Thailand

Post by pharvey »

Sadly, it seems to be an annual story/episode - hopefully not repeated before Chinese New Year in the coming weeks..... :(
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The crazy thing is there was a lesser explosion at this factory just over 12 months ago. No publicity. It takes 23 deaths to get it in the limelight.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^Could have been a better location for your fire extinguisher!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

When I worked in Samut Sakhon, factory city, I saw a ridiculous amount of factory fires, or the aftermath. Elf 'n safety might be overboard in the UK but...

Horrendous. And the families of those who died will most likely receive peanuts in compensation.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:09 pm When I worked in Samut Sakhon, factory city, I saw a ridiculous amount of factory fires, or the aftermath. Elf 'n safety might be overboard in the UK but...

Horrendous. And the families of those who died will most likely receive peanuts in compensation.
Happened for a pastime in China when I was there - countless incidents not "officially" reported, which I suspect is the same in Thailand unfortunately. Hate to say it, but Chinese New Year will bring quite a few more "incidents", reported or otherwise.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.