Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:I watched the brief highlights of the Liverpool v Newcastle match from yesterday and whilst there’s no denying Liverpool’s overall supremacy in the match, I just cannot fathom out how VAR did not override the 2nd penalty given to Liverpool. The first penalty (that was saved) was debatable, but the 2nd one was an injustice at the level of Mr Bates vs The Post Office (I’ll post on that separately). The minimum should have been a free kick to Newcastle and a booking for Jota for diving!!

https://youtu.be/X3caddTGplc?feature=shared
Agree 100%. Blatant dive. Keeper pulls his hands away. Jiota dives. End of

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Newcastle goalkeeper admits “it was a penalty” for foul on Diogo Jota

The goalkeeper said, as quoted by the Mirror: “My arms are not trying to catch him. I don’t have to agree but at the end of the day it was a penalty.”

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/01/n ... a-penalty/
YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I read that quote before but irrespective of it all the pundits are saying words to the effect that it’s the softest penalty possible and Jota went down about 3 steps after the most minimal contact. But hey, it’s over so it can’t be changed but it’s just a huge shame that players have to cheat their wages to victory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Real soft penalty but Liverpool absolutely destroyed Newcastle. The highest xG (expected goals) rating since records began (7.2 to Newcastle's 0.5). For any unfamiliar with xG...

'Expected goals is a metric which assesses every chance, essentially answering the question of whether a player should have scored from a certain opportunity. Put simply, it is a way of assigning a "quality" value (xG) to every attempt based on what we know about it. The higher the xG - with 1 being the maximum - the more likelihood of the opportunity being taken.

So if a chance is 0.5xG, it should be scored 50% of the time.

In short, Liverpool should have buried 7 goals easily. :shock:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

OK, yes I'm a "Pretender" - don't really understand/follow Football but a closet supporter of Liverpool...... :shock: :wink:

What's the thoughts on Liverpool and others trying to secure the services of Mbappe? Going to cost a fortune, problems at PSG not being a "Team Player" I believe.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:Real soft penalty but Liverpool absolutely destroyed Newcastle. The highest xG (expected goals) rating since records began (7.2 to Newcastle's 0.5). For any unfamiliar with xG...

'Expected goals is a metric which assesses every chance, essentially answering the question of whether a player should have scored from a certain opportunity. Put simply, it is a way of assigning a "quality" value (xG) to every attempt based on what we know about it. The higher the xG - with 1 being the maximum - the more likelihood of the opportunity being taken.

So if a chance is 0.5xG, it should be scored 50% of the time.

In short, Liverpool should have buried 7 goals easily. :shock:
Irrelevant to the penalty call. Are you suggesting the ref gave it on balance of play?

I've seen many a team batter the opposition and lose never mind draw

LFC were only one up at the time. Nufc might have got an 'undeserved' equaliser

Dive..... don't care what the keeper says.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Got so excited to see we have our full defence back. Might be lacking a little sharpness but they're back!!!

Then I saw our midfield and bench... 😖😫
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:44 pm Got so excited to see we have our full defence back. Might be lacking a little sharpness but they're back!!!

What about your forward line - you now have the mighty Werner to spearhead your attack!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Werner actually had reasonable stats at Chelsea, and our style of play never really suited him. The spuds style should suit him better. Always gave 100% and whilst they never had great confidence in him, he was a fans favourite.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Werner actually had reasonable stats at Chelsea, and our style of play never really suited him. The spuds style should suit him better. Always gave 100% and whilst they never had great confidence in him, he was a fans favourite.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:50 pm
Lost wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:44 pm Got so excited to see we have our full defence back. Might be lacking a little sharpness but they're back!!!

What about your forward line - you now have the mighty Werner to spearhead your attack!!
:laugh:

Hope he does well, would be a steal if Ange gets him firing. But, his last prem attempt... well.

No Kulu. No Son. Bentancur as the lone midfield creator. Got everything crossed anywho.

:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Disappointing to be behind at the break. Dominated a large chunk of the game but then United came back in it, they could have had another and so could we. Good game, I'm going 3-4 final score... :D

Werner looks like a lad who's played 17 minutes of football in two months.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Werner assist.

:dance: :thumb:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Worrying we have no decent subs to make...

Hope the fitness levels are good.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Though it's only United, happy with the draw. :thumb: