The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:06 pm I didn't even recognize him in the photo. He's still working! :cheers:

"Clint Eastwood, director aged 93 on the set of juror no. 2"
Christ, I struggled even after knowing who it was!! At the end of the day, it's the eyes though. He's certainly made his impact throughout his life!! :bow:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:17 am Just finished this one. The Last Descent (2016). It's an alright movie, low budget, I quite enjoyed it. One to stick on if nothing better to watch. I was just surprised I hadn't heard of this incident before. Or my memory has blanked it.

Bloke got stuck in a place called Nutty Putty Cave.
Oh, I remember the incident - also remember thinking what a tw@t. Cost the rescue services God only knows what after fecking up stroking his own ego.

Apologies, I'll now step off my soapbox. :oops:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:28 am
Lost wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:17 am Just finished this one. The Last Descent (2016). It's an alright movie, low budget, I quite enjoyed it. One to stick on if nothing better to watch. I was just surprised I hadn't heard of this incident before. Or my memory has blanked it.

Bloke got stuck in a place called Nutty Putty Cave.
Oh, I remember the incident - also remember thinking what a tw@t. Cost the rescue services God only knows what after fecking up stroking his own ego.

Apologies, I'll now step off my soapbox. :oops:
Well, he did pay the ultimate price for his stupidity in the end. :wink:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

'Tis the season and all that now so I'll start the ball rolling with a cracker from last year. Violent Night. :wink:

Festive, gory and funny.

Some big names including David Harbour and John Leguizamo.

violent_night_ver2.jpg
violent_night_ver2.jpg (161.9 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

https://yts.mx/movies/violent-night-2022

:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Next up on the Christmas films to watch or watch again list. Krampus (2015). The devilish half-goat, half-demon companion of St. Nick is centre stage. Directed by Michael Dougherty (Trick 'r Treat, Godzilla: King of the Monsters) it's good festive fun. 👹🎅

Krampus_poster.jpg
Krampus_poster.jpg (89.71 KiB) Viewed 1568 times

https://yts.mx/movies/krampus-2015
buksida

Post by buksida »

Was mentioned in another thread but hasn't been here yet. Watched The Creator last night, many recognisable places in Thailand, Nepal, and Vietnam where most of it was filmed. A must watch for sci-fi fans and a solid keeper for me.

HD versions available here: https://yts.mx/movies/the-creator-2023
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Killers of the Flower Moon is out. Three and a half hours long Scorcese's latest. Not watched yet but sure it'll be a great film.

https://yts.mx/movies/killers-of-the-flower-moon-2023
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:51 am Was mentioned in another thread but hasn't been here yet. Watched The Creator last night, many recognisable places in Thailand, Nepal, and Vietnam where most of it was filmed. A must watch for sci-fi fans and a solid keeper for me.
Must admit did like the look of this one - downloading as I type. :thumb:
Lost wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 am Killers of the Flower Moon is out. Three and a half hours long Scorcese's latest. Not watched yet but sure it'll be a great film.
Cheers Blue!! I've been waiting for this one!! :bow: Already downloading.....

:cheers: :cheers:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

OPPENHEIMER(2023)

Watched this yesterday. Was really looking forward to it.

Sadly I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I anticipated. Not suggesting it's a bad movie, it's a fine piece of work. But it wasn't really my style.

I'm just not a fan of Christopher Nolan, I know many are.

I'd still give it a 7.5/10

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I thought it was a decent film with some excellent performances. Interestingly, it was as much (if not more) about the reds-under-the-bed paranoia that afflicted the US in the 50s as it was about the development of the atomic bomb.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:42 pm And coincidentally, another apparently very similar film has also just been released.

The Last Rifleman https://yts.mx/movies/the-last-rifleman-2023
World War II veteran Artie Crawford lives in a care home in Northern Ireland. After his wife's death, he decides to ignore all advice and sets off alone to France to attend the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings.
Pierce Brosnan in the lead role.
Stopped watching after the first 3 miutes or so. Pierce Brosnan with prosthetic make-up to age him (he's only 70 after all!) did not convince as a much older man, either in looks or in movement.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Each to his own I guess, I enjoyed it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have not seen so cannot comment on the content, however many films/TV programmes can be slow to get going, so 3 minutes might have been a bit soon to have hit the button?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Both Thanksgiving and The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes are out. The latter is now not a cam copy like YTS previously uploaded a week or so ago. :banghead:

Been excited for both of these. 'Thanksgiving' is from the legend of horror himself, Eli Roth, and got excellent reviews. Big fan of The Hunger Games movies, I doubt this prequel will top them but sure it'll be a worthy entry.

https://yts.mx/movies/thanksgiving-2023

https://yts.mx/movies/the-hunger-games- ... nakes-2023

:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:41 am I have not seen so cannot comment on the content, however many films/TV programmes can be slow to get going, so 3 minutes might have been a bit soon to have hit the button?
I actually quite enjoyed it, but must admit am looking forward to watching the "Michael Caine Version"..... Let's not forget DM is a strange one - supports Spurs, as he does Harlequeens and the girly boy playing 10.... Not to mention his dislike of Welsh Rugby. I am still trying to save him from the "Dark Side", but it's difficult... :roll:

Back to the movie side, I'm really looking forward to "Ferrari" - looks well worth the watch!! :thumb:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3758542/?r ... _q_ferarri