Watchmaker

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Re: Watchmaker

Post by Phyton »

black, exactly antrahzit.
Greets,
Phyton
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

A few months on now so no harm in asking if there has been any feedback as I have a watch in need of a service. In this case it is a Corum Admirals Cup Challenge with a rattrapante complication. The base movement I believe is an ETA or Valjoux but would need someone who for a start knows what rattrapante means as many would have to look it up. I will try to get info from Baechtold, the Corum AD in Bangkok but as the watch is a bit older now a quality independent may be an option and save the trip to Bangkok.
Noted the guy on the railway road in Hua Hin and the one in Cha Am and appreciate any local information or experiences.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

For the basics, and I mean more than change a battery, I use the Watch Doctor in Bluport, but he doesn't speak English. However, for a watch with that movement, I would stick with the advice of the AD and get a recommendation from them.

As an aside, is the AD still in Gaysorn? Some while ago, I was toying with the idea of buying a Corum bubble, but decided against it in the end. I ask as their concession in Siam Paragon was closed some time ago.
Talk is cheap
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I believe they are in Gaysorn but will confirm this after I have contacted them for a quote. As the watch is fully functioning and just needs a service they should be able to give me some idea of costs and how long it would take.
KanDoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KanDoo »

As a former clockmaker (and NOT a watchmaker) I had to look up what "rattrapante" was. I had never heard of it which I thought was a little strange as my father was a watchmaker of 40+ years but I had never heard him use that word. In looking it up I found that the rattrapante chronograph is also sometimes referred to as a double chronograph or split-second chronograph and that I had heard of and was well familiar with. I'm glad to have learned a little something today.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I feel I have done Corum an injustice as, for the purists the following was gleaned in regard to the movement.

The COSC certified calibre is a CO-986 that was developed for Corum by the movement design company La Joux-Perret. Base calibre 8601, 4Hz and some 40h power reserve. – Nothing really too exciting.

So not an ETA. As mine is losing about five minutes a day it certainly needs a service.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote:I feel I have done Corum an injustice as, for the purists the following was gleaned in regard to the movement.

The COSC certified calibre is a CO-986 that was developed for Corum by the movement design company La Joux-Perret. Base calibre 8601, 4Hz and some 40h power reserve. – Nothing really too exciting.

So not an ETA. As mine is losing about five minutes a day it certainly needs a service.
I’d still recommend a visit to the shop in Cha Am and make a judgement as to whether you think they’re suitably competent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk