Sports and corruption

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Bamboo Grove

Sports and corruption

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I was answering to a topic in Premier league and got distracted to another sport. So I thought, maybe another topic, where we can discuss any sport and the money involved in that particular sport and all the others as well. It can be football, F1, ice-hockey, basketball or whatever.

My first comment here. One of my favorite football players in Europe in the 80's was Michel Platini but I'm disgusted the way he has been involved in corruption when in charge of UEFA. Doesn't take away his brilliance as a player, though.
pharvey

Re: Sports and corruption

Post by pharvey »

Fair play BG - my post on the Premier League was taking things away from that thread.

For me, it's fairly simple and obvious - where there's an obnoxious amount of money involved, corruption at any and all levels will also be involved.

I'm sure PeteC can comment on American Sports, but Football (the round version) has to be "Top of The League"
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I think, in many American sports they have this very sensible thing called salary cap. This would be a very good thing in football as well and would solve many problems and also lower the ticket prices.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:48 pm I think, in many American sports they have this very sensible thing called salary cap. This would be a very good thing in football as well and would solve many problems and also lower the ticket prices.
It's one thing that's there in Rugby Union also, but the Annual Salary Cap is no doubt lower for the entire UK club than it is for a single player in the US. :roll: :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.