There's a gremlin in my aircon remote!

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

There's a gremlin in my aircon remote!

Post by 404cameljockey »

One of the remotes for my Hitachi aircons sometimes works for hours, and later it will just have a blank screen which I can't reset. Hours later it comes alive again.

New batteries and pushing the reset button don't help.

I can use the remote for the other unit from my seat at one end of the room, but it's very handy to have both remotes.

Do I need to buy a new one or is there some trick I'm missing? Yes, I'm a cheap Charlie, out of necessity.

Cheers :thumb:
Big Boy

Re: There's a gremlin in my aircon remote!

Post by Big Boy »

I've no idea how to fix your problem, but a new remote for my aircon was very cheap from Lazada last year.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
KanDoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KanDoo »

This is not something that you fix/repair as it is not worth much time or effort. You have taken the obvious steps. If that does not do it then you just get new. As said, not expensive.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Just one thing that is worth a try. I've found with remotes in the humid atmosphere of Asia that the contacts of the battery compartment can get tarnished or corroded so it's worth giving them a scrape with something abrasive and trying again.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Thanks fellas, sounds like a new one is the route to go.

Just thought maybe there was some button combination to press to fully reset it, like on mobile phones. Wow, I'm really getting old, what a dumb thought.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

That’s the benefit of the forum, ask a question and get a number of sensible replies - I must say that at about 150 Baht, a replacement remote seems by far the best solution.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:14 am That’s the benefit of the forum, ask a question and get a number of sensible replies - I must say that at about 150 Baht, a replacement remote seems by far the best solution.
I agree, this is a great forum, well moderated and used by reasonable people, with a good sense of humour too. Many of the forums I've seen seem to be stuffed with embittered, nasty people and drunks, who'd rather start a flame war than a conversation.

Long live HHF!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

An update that no-one's interested in except me, but...

Online (Lazada/Shoppee) there's no remote I can see for my unit that has buttons for swing right and left as well as up and down for air direction. My unit has this function. The button on the cheap replacements has a 'powerful' button where the 'left/right' should be.

I guess I'll have to use a Hitachi approved shop in Thailand and see if they can help.

Hey ho!
Liberty70
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Liberty70 »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:51 pm
I guess I'll have to use a Hitachi approved shop in Thailand and see if they can help.
Look for a part number / model number on the remote and serch specifically for that. Aliexpress has been a good source for AC remotes for me in the past.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This appears to be what you need? https://s.lazada.co.th/s.l6mRs
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The part number on the remote is a good way to search. I actually found a tv remote with the same part number as the dead one at Amorn electronics in Bangkok. Not a large selection, but got what I wanted.
As for the online ordered one, I have had a similar experience with an ac remote, some of the buttons did not appear to do the job they were supposed to do. However, some different buttons did! So play around with it and see what happens. Getting an original is a practical impossibility.
Quick tip. If you do pass by the night market and see a stall with those remotes,they are usually cheap enough to consider. But test them first by putting the batteries in and aiming it at your phone camera. You should be able to see the led flickering (try it with your existing remote just so you know what you'll be looking for).
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Off topic..
While on the subject of leds on remotes, for those of you who weld and have an auto darkening helmet, aiming the tv remote at the helmet sets off the auto darkening..
So now you know how to test that too ;)
วินเชนท์
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:52 am This appears to be what you need? https://s.lazada.co.th/s.l6mRs
Thanks DB, I did come across that but was scared by the number of buttons! They say it's universal so I guess it should have the functions which I need. I'll just need to learn how to find them in the dark.... :laugh:

Lazada wasn't working for me this week, it was not sending an email verification when trying to buy and when that started working it wasn't sending SMS verification when trying to pay by card. Both on my laptop and PC and trying different browsers. They said 'send screenshots we'll look into it but don't hold your breath, could take a while to reply'. Jokes.

PS - Lazada working again today. :thumb:
Last edited by 404cameljockey on Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

VincentD wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:56 pm Off topic..
While on the subject of leds on remotes, for those of you who weld and have an auto darkening helmet, aiming the tv remote at the helmet sets off the auto darkening..
So now you know how to test that too ;)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think your suggestion will only help a tiny audience, but it's a great post lol.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

VincentD wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:52 pm The part number on the remote is a good way to search. I actually found a tv remote with the same part number as the dead one at Amorn electronics in Bangkok. Not a large selection, but got what I wanted.
As for the online ordered one, I have had a similar experience with an ac remote, some of the buttons did not appear to do the job they were supposed to do. However, some different buttons did! So play around with it and see what happens. Getting an original is a practical impossibility.
Quick tip. If you do pass by the night market and see a stall with those remotes,they are usually cheap enough to consider. But test them first by putting the batteries in and aiming it at your phone camera. You should be able to see the led flickering (try it with your existing remote just so you know what you'll be looking for).
Nice, thank you! I think I'm going to plump for the universal remote dannie boy mentioned.
*crosses fingers.