Microsoft Windows 11

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Windows 11

Post by HHTel »

That warning has always been there. This is different. It's a windowed message that informs me that a VPN is not detected. It doesn't appear if I open the VPN before opening YTS.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Looked again and it's nothing to do with YTS or Windows. It's a pop-up warning from 'user-shield-check-com'.

"No VPN Detected.
VPN highly suggested for this site
⛖ Your browsing, streaming and download activity may be not private and may be unsecured."
buksida

Post by buksida »

Sounds like malware, or something trying to sell you something. I'd give that machine a scan, you shouldn't be getting any popups at all.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Correct, Buksi.
User-shield.com popups are a consequence of adware presence. Adware is a sort of malware that suggests you the pay-per-view of pay-per-click ads, which produces a significant amount of earnings for adware distributors. These ads may have explicit information, or have a link to malicious content/website, because adware maintainers have no purpose to check the goodness of the material they are going to show – their solitary target is money.

Source: https://howtofix.guide/user-shield-com-popups-remove/
buksida

Post by buksida »

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's gone. The worrying thing is that it must have come down during windows 11 installation. I imagine that at some point during the installation the virus checker is disabled.

Anyway, sorted now.
buksida

Re: Microsoft Windows 11

Post by buksida »

What are the major improvements of W11 over W10 (or is it a step backward)? Considering upgrading.

Only asking as I've just installed a new mainboard and reformatted my desktop PC with Windows 10 (22H2), returning it to the blisteringly fast state it was originally. Its amazing how much computers get bogged down over the years with the software, even the internet feels much faster on the freshly formatted SSD.

I recommend anyone with "slow computer" issues do this before considering new hardware.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

i've had Windows 11 since it first was announced and found no problems. Regular updates etc.

I was dubious about updating but having made the decision, I'm happy.
buksida

Post by buksida »

May give it a go on the laptop first since I use it less than the desktop.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Installed it on the laptop yesterday and the first half hour was spent deleting all the shite it has loaded on there (Tiktok, Spotify, Xbox, Netflix, Amazon, OneNote, OneDrive, News widgets in Thai). Why can't M$ let people choose what they want instead of forcing apps onto their customer's machines (phone manufacturers also do this and its very annoying!)

Other than a slightly different GUI, there doesn't seem to be much difference, it is certainly no quicker.

Here are some basic performance improvement tips: https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to ... windows-11
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Why can't M$ let people choose what they want instead of forcing apps onto their customer's machines
I think you have to buy the "pro" version to get that. Basically you get what you pay for and if that was nothing, you get all the garbage.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Licensed W10 came with the laptop, but its no problem spending a few minutes cleaning out the shite.