Thailand Football

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Re: Thailand Football

Post by Big Boy »

Tonight's T1 results:

Scores.jpg
(204.16 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Tonight's T1 results:

Scores.jpg
(205.02 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

and Matchweek 28 League table:

Table.jpg
Table.jpg (229.32 KiB) Viewed 864 times

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Tonight's T1 results:

Scores.jpg
(200.19 KiB) Downloaded 414 times

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Tonight's T1 results:

Scores.jpg
(207.59 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

and Matchweek 29 standings:

Table.jpg
Table.jpg (130.84 KiB) Viewed 845 times

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Matchweek 30 - the last matches of the T1 season:

Scores.jpg
(220.3 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

and the final league table:

Table.jpg
Table.jpg (218.6 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Champs.jpg
(404.38 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

That's a disasterous result for the Swat Cats and I wonder what the future holds for them after relegation?

Something has gone very wrong from when I used to go with crowds regularly above 10k and higher. I think the lowest attendance when I went was 11k, but 16-17k wasn't unusual. It's official maximum attendance is 27k. The support was massive, orange shirts worn everywhere around the city, with a club shop in The Mall and now it's all gone.

It started when they put prices up and effectivelly stopped people attending and it's obviously been poorly managed both on and off the pitch. Crowds were down to 2-3k and interest seems to have waned.

Will Mazda continue to sponsor them? How much do they pay to play at their ground? Which I never enjoyed. It would be good if they could start elsewhere - they might have to - but I can't think of anywhere obvious in the city itself, apart from an army or uni pitch.

It's Thailands 2nd City after all, and the potential is obvious and proven. Maybe new owners with better financing will step in?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I thought they were going to survive.

With the exception of Buriram, I think attendances have gone through the floor. I don't think any club, including Buriram can survive on attendances alone. Every match being televised doesn't help, but TV cash is a god send. Even then, sponsorship is essential. My team lost Mitr Phol at the start of this season, and they were in dire straits before the season started. They didn't have enough cash in the coffers to pay the wages, so I fully understand your concerns regarding Mazda.

Don't worry though many teams bounce straight back.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes, I'll keep a watching brief on what happens. I never really enjoyed watching football there, because as you know, it was designed for althletics and the whole sports complex there for a long forgotten Asean games. But my other half was a fan as were some of her friends, so I used to go with a gaggle of Thai ladies. The supporters did drum up (literally) an atmosphere, as best they could.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, those Provincial Stadiums are awful. Yes, there's a football pitch out there somewhere, but especially if you are accommodated with the visiting supporters you need binoculars to see 50% of what is going on. By far the worst Provincial stadium in T1 is Prachuap (and that isn't my dislike of PT Prachuap), and the best that I've visited is Chonburi. I haven't been to Nakhon Ratchasima.

As a general rule, I don't go to Provincial Stadiums more than once because they are usually dirty, run-down stadiums with poor visibility, although I've suffered Sam Ao Stadium many times because of it's closeness.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:22 am Yes, there's a football pitch out there somewhere, but especially if you are accommodated with the visiting supporters you need binoculars to see 50% of what is going on.
You need binoculars everywhere at the His Majesty The Kings 80th Birthday stadium in Korat. I have my own pics, but these are from google. Only one area is covered.

Attachments
2022-07-07.jpg
(323.46 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
2022-07-07 (1).jpg
(326.71 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

At least the photos give the impression it is clean, Many Provincial Stadiums are a disgrace.

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Little 'feisty' in the SEA Games footy ...

Thailand is getting slaughtered online for their behaviour.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thais are notoriously bad losers ...

Four red cards, two brawls: Indonesia beat Thailand to win football gold in dramatic SEA Games final
Indonesia won footballing gold at the Southeast Asian Games on Tuesday (May 16), beating Thailand in a hot-tempered match that had seven goals, four players sent off and two brawls.

The match had been billed as a chance for Indonesia to restore some pride to a national game recently laid low by a deadly stadium disaster and the loss of hosting the Under-20 World Cup.

Their 5-2 extra-time win achieved that - as well as a first gold since SEA Games men's football became an under-23 competition - but not before a topsy-turvy 120 minutes at the Olympic Stadium.

The drama began when Indonesia went 2-0 up just before half-time, Muhammad Ramadhan getting his second of the game in controversial circumstances.

He had beaten centre-back Jonathan Khemdee to the ball to loop a shot over the goalkeeper and into the net. But Thailand's players remonstrated that the ball was not being contested at the time, having been passed back by Indonesia after a stoppage.

Neither their opponents nor the referee were having any of it, and the War Elephants were incensed.

When the referee hit his whistle for a Thai free kick deep into stoppage time, many on Indonesia's coaching staff mistook it for the final whistle, and ran onto the pitch to celebrate.

After they were cleared off, Thailand took the free kick and Yotsakon Burapha beautifully worked some space before lashing home a 97th-minute equaliser to take the game into extra time.

That prompted the still-aggrieved Thai players and staff to charge over to their opponents' bench in gloating celebration, sparking the first brawl.

The second, more serious brawl, came when Indonesia's Irfan Jauhari scored right after the restart, to make it 3-2.

Kicks and punches were landed, uniformed security officials had to intervene in the melee, and Thailand's goalkeeper Soponwit Rakyart was sent off for running half the length of the pitch to deliver a diving punch to an opponent.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sport/t ... ht-3492861

What a shitfight ... wish I'd watched it! :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thread locked. 2023/24 thread here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41532

Points 48; Position 20