Seeking Shogi opponent

Hua Hin classifieds has been reopened, please read the classifieds posting rules before you submit an ad.
Ian Spence
Novice
Novice

Seeking Shogi opponent

Post by Ian Spence »

Shogi opponent sought. Venue is the Say Cheese restaurant between the Night Market and the Railway Station any afternoon or evening. Please contact Ian Spence on 097-031-8529, or via email ihs.spence@yahoo.co.uk
Ian Spence
Novice
Novice

shogi = Japanese chess

Post by Ian Spence »

Opponents sought for Japanese chess also known as “shogi”. A possible venue is the Say Cheese restaurant between the Night Market and the Railway Station. I'm happy to play privately too. Please contact Ian Spence on 062-304-6104, or via email <ihs.spence@yahoo.co.uk>
I'm permanently resident in Hua-Hin. Please reply by email if convenient.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: shogi = Japanese chess

Post by 404cameljockey »

Ian Spence wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:46 pm Opponents sought for Japanese chess also known as “shogi”. A possible venue is the Say Cheese restaurant between the Night Market and the Railway Station. I'm happy to play privately too. Please contact Ian Spence on 062-304-6104, or via email <ihs.spence@yahoo.co.uk>
I'm permanently resident in Hua-Hin. Please reply by email if convenient.
I just studied it for a couple of hours with online tutorials; looks like chess played with a migraine. So sorry, no! Good luck with your search, I hope you can find an experienced opponent. :thumb:
Ian Spence
Novice
Novice

Re: Seeking Shogi opponent

Post by Ian Spence »

If you're already familiar with chess, you can be playing shogi after 30 minutes of study. If you're fazed by the kanji pictograms, you can get a cheap Westernised set of pieces, but after using these for two or three games, IMHO you'd be regretting that you didn't dive in at the deep end. You seem to be a man who is easily fazed -- and that is a pity.
Handicap play is a great leveller. A shogi professional could give me a six pieces' handicap, viz. rook, bishop, two knights and two lances -- and we'd probably have a balanced game.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Ian Spence wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:29 pm You seem to be a man who is easily fazed.
Have many friends, Ian? If you encouraged them like this, no wonder you lack opponents....

It's not the moves, a child could pick them up quickly, I did. The 'fourth dimension' of pieces comng back into play anywhere on the board literally at a whim adds a huge amount of complexity to calculation. You could call it depth, but I call it a confusion factor. No thanks.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

404cameljockey wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:31 pm
Ian Spence wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:29 pm You seem to be a man who is easily fazed.
Have many friends, Ian? If you encouraged them like this, no wonder you lack opponents....
:laugh: :laugh: Exactly the same thing occurred to me! :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
Ian Spence
Novice
Novice

Post by Ian Spence »

I'm not seeking a friend -- I'm seeking an opponent.
Like America, I have no friends -- only interests!