How Hot Does your House Stay Overnight

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Re: How Hot Does your House Stay Overnight

Post by bigston »

DB, thats great looking bread, do you include Rye Flour ?
BB thats just way to hot and dangerous , especially with the current air quality
i guess its about the 29 mark , given that the outside minimum each morning at present does not dip below 26
there's just no chance for Concrete Boxes to cool down even with doors and windows open, before the rapid heat build up of the next day
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote:DB, thats great looking bread, do you include Rye Flour ?
BB thats just way to hot and dangerous , especially with the current air quality
i guess its about the 29 mark , given that the outside minimum each morning at present does not dip below 26
there's just no chance for Concrete Boxes to cool down even with doors and windows open, before the rapid heat build up of the next day
No, just ordinary White Swan bread
flour and my secret ingredient - fresh yeast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

bigston wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:12 am GHW how the heck do you manage to keep a house THAT cool in this weather
id kill for 28 anytime of the day
I think there are two main reasons - we have nice big shade trees all around the house and for the ground floor, we had some extra shading put on the sides of the house so that the downstairs windows (and walls) don't get nearly as much direct sunlight during the day. That made a noticeable difference as soon as we had it installed.

I should mention that the kitchen is the coolest room in the house overall, probably because it only gets a short period of direct sunlight in the early morning. The other rooms, such as the sitting room where we often spend time in the afternoon, are all a fair bit warmer.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

GHW
As you realise,Trees are your best friend , apart from shading walls etc, they reduce the ambient temperature between them and the house, just a bit, but it all helps
what extra shading did you use ?
Ive paid particular notice to a number of friends houses, as in ventilation
seems the "more " you have under the eaves, the way better airflow, and heat escape at night
one house we visited very early morning, it was 32.5 degrees all over inside.
Zero ventilation in the eaves
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I remember touring some old time plantation houses in Louisiana. The houses were built before air conditioning and despite it being a real hot, humid day they were cool inside. The literature about the house told of how they built the house with knowing the main way the winds blow. They also planted trees so that they would funnel the wind to the house, pretty smart.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Yep, mother Nature will help out big time if only developers, architects, builders, can see the wood from the trees,,,,
but alas so often they dont...
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I have built 3 houses in my time in Hua Hin and my priorities were first to pick an area which has good breeze much of the day. I found that Hin Lek Fai within 3/4 klms of Black Mountain has worked well. The land size has never been less than a rai , and the house has loads of windows and doors on to the patios' and land. BUT after my first house I have always used the white bricks for outside walls and this has made a huge difference as regards the heat.
So have a breezy area, lots of ground space with plenty of windows and doors designed to allow through draughts and use white building bricks , the larger size seem even cooler than the usual size.

We only use the AC 1.5 hours when going to bed, and the daytime house temperature during this hot period has not exceeded 30c, which with a through breeze is fine
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

bigston wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:14 am GHW
As you realise,Trees are your best friend , apart from shading walls etc, they reduce the ambient temperature between them and the house, just a bit, but it all helps
what extra shading did you use ?
It's made of roofing sheets with steel struts to hold it in place.

Here's a picture of one section of it. At the end, you can also see one of the trees that shades the back of the house.
Attachments
IMG_20230422_184514.jpg
(174.79 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I believe that 34.5 is the hottest my room has been maybe yesterday. I get the full force of the afternoon sun. Nb that's if I'm not in the room. I usually try to keep it below 30 although not by much. I don't like Air Con as it's so false.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk