Thai Driving License renewal

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai Driving License renewal 2019-22

Post by HHTel »

The perception test in Thailand is not unlike similar tests carried out in Germany, for example, and some other countries. It's referred to as the '3 rod test'.
Additionally, good depth perception is important for road safety. It allows you to measure distances properly in busy driving conditions, switch lanes and overtake other vehicles on the road.
At three-rods test, a central rod was moved at the speed of 50 mm/sec forward and backward automatically against two fixed rods on both sides inside an illuminated box. An examinee at the distance of 2.5 m observed the rods inside the box from a small window and pushed a button to stop the central rod in alignment with the fixed rods.
Three-rods test is a vision test to examine depth perception and is used routinely for a vision test for automobile license in Japan and Germany in addition to visual acuity testing. A central rod between two peripheral fixed rods moves forward and backward, and an examinee is asked to tell the timing and to push a button when the central rod is in alignment with the peripheral fixed rods. The three-rods test has a merit to be done with both eyes open in a naturally viewing condition. The test examines a kind of dynamic stereopsis in response to a moving rod and also analyzes the speed of response by eye-hand coordination to push a button to stop the moving rod.
So it does seem to have some merit.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

So it does seem to have some merit.
Yes, it well may be the case when it is carried out with the device described, not with the stupid toy that they are using here.

The other point here is that what you have posted is carried out under some form of scientific supervision, not the method used here, where some girl decides if you pass an imaginary standard.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Looks like the rigmarole with the appointment booking is still in place. Went through the process on the DLT app and have one for March.

Last time I had to watch a video online and answer 3 questions also, but there was no mention of one on the app this time. Is it still a requirement?

Also heard of people being turned away for wearing shorts - you need to dress as you would in a temple now to visit the DLT as the militarization of Thai society deepens.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

There was no need to watch any video or answer any questions when I was at Pranburi last week.

I also noted that on the DLT appointment page, under docs required", there was mention of a dress code but on a second reading it seemed to just relate to when you're doing a driving test. I turned up in tailored shorts and a short sleeve shirt and had no problem. Nor did I see anyone else have trouble. (Maybe take long strides along and change in the loos round the back if required!!).
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just did this, the procedure is below (may be different depending where you go).

Booked an appointment using the DLT app about six weeks before.
Did the e-learning video, answered the questions, and got the QR code a few days before.

Was asked for:
Copy of ID card (needed for the DLT app)
Copy of passport
Medical certificate
Copy of yellow book (proof of address)
Old license
Proof of e-learning (QR code)

Had to do the following:
Colour blind test (traffic light with random colours)
Reaction test (hit the brake pedal twice)
Depth perception test (line up the two sticks - I actually failed this so need driving glasses apparently)
Peripheral vision test

Back downstairs to wait for the card, the entire process took just over an hour (Bangsaphan DLT). They refused to match the date on the motorcycle license to the car license so I have to do this crap twice when they both expire a year apart.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So, you actually failed, but they still issued your licence? :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

They let me have another go until I got it right, but I was prepared for it to be refused and to be without one. Aside from in Hua Hin, I've never actually been asked for it or used it.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My 5-year DL expires next month, and In view of previous posts, can I ask for clarification as to whether I need to make an appintment at Pranburi or not? Last time I just turned up, but that was 5 years ago!

I have downloaded the video game and look forward to completing that! :roll: . Thanks for providing the link.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

An example of how farcical the medical certificate is:

Finally got around to getting a medical certificate. Popped into a clinic. The receptionist took my passport and filled in a form using info in my passport. Then "sign her" - "100 baht". Never saw a doc or was asked any questions regarding health!
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

HHTel wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:01 pm An example of how farcical the medical certificate is:

Finally got around to getting a medical certificate. Popped into a clinic. The receptionist took my passport and filled in a form using info in my passport. Then "sign her" - "100 baht". Never saw a doc or was asked any questions regarding health!
Which clinic ? I’m going to need to do this later this year and think this clinic is good value :)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have downloaded the DLT app, but can't find how to book an apointment, which some of you have done. Help please.

Sorry, is this the correct website? https://prb.dlt.go.th/
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm just going to turn up in the morning. I'll let you know if an appt is necessary.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Scout wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:04 am
HHTel wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:01 pm An example of how farcical the medical certificate is:

Which clinic ? I’m going to need to do this later this year and think this clinic is good value :)
Its half way down the soi with no name from 94 to Kuhn por food market. On the right coming from 94. Open at 5pm and probably the morning too.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:10 pm I'm just going to turn up in the morning. I'll let you know if an appt is necessary.
Thanks Terry, that would be appreciated. My other half phones last week and they did say an appt. was required.
Talk is cheap