Aggressive dogs on cycling path

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Aggressive dogs on cycling path

Post by Dannie Boy »

DDD wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:12 pm Just moved here and wondering about getting a bicycle. I have decades of biking in various places (so experienced). How is road safety? Seems like enough scooters that drivers deal ok with bikes?

Where might I get a used or new bicycle?

Had many run ins with dogs biking, running, walking…can be friendly, stand your ground, etc, they all work. One trick I found if I’m standing is to pretend you are picking up a rock. The dogs have always backed off! I don’t even bother looking for a rock as just reaching down does it…
I find the majority of drivers are quite respectful of cyclists, however you always need to be mindful that there may be the odd one who isn’t. As much as possible I try to avoid the main roads.

Regarding dogs, you will often find a few that will chase you - I’m sure it’s largely a game for them, but I carry a length of bamboo just in case - most times you don’t need it, occasionally you might want to draw it which will normally have the desired effect - only once have I had to use it in earnest!!

I bought my current bike - it’s an off-road type rather than a racing type, (but is a reasonable spec with hydraulic discs that provide strong stopping power) from a shop called Evo which is just over half way from Hua Hin heading towards Cha Am on the left hand side of Phetkasem Road.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

As DB suggests, get a new bike and you won't have hassles is trying to replace and repair things to get it up to spec. I've bought more than one bike for myself and other for around 200 USD for a reasonably specced one; it has been a few years but but they are holding up nicely.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Sorry. I use a MTB as does the other just to be clear. We do recreational cycling; if you want something a bit more competitive, you will end up paying a premium. Really good bikes are not cheap, but they are available.
วินเชนท์
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Avoid the bike shop on the East side of Petchkasem. Their high-end bikes are ok, but anything less is junk.

There was a bike shop in the basement in MV, I don't know if they're still there.

As for riding on the city streets, always be aware of vehicles pulling out into traffic from being parked. They're accustomed to other vehicles and motorbikes, but not bicycles.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

DDD wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:12 pm One trick I found if I’m standing is to pretend you are picking up a rock. The dogs have always backed off! I don’t even bother looking for a rock as just reaching down does it…
Reminds me of some years ago when I lived opposite to a Temple. Dogs that gathered at the entrance could be a nuisance especially when they get into a fight.
I kept a catapult which I used against the dogs. Once released, the dogs screamed and yelped as they ran away as if they'd been hurt. BUT there was never anything in the catapult!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:Avoid the bike shop on the East side of Petchkasem. Their high-end bikes are ok, but anything less is junk.

There was a bike shop in the basement in MV, I don't know if they're still there.

As for riding on the city streets, always be aware of vehicles pulling out into traffic from being parked. They're accustomed to other vehicles and motorbikes, but not bicycles.
There are two bike shops on the east side of petchkasem. One at Tan Samai and one further in towards the Esso station. Which one do you mean?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:34 am
handdrummer wrote:Avoid the bike shop on the East side of Petchkasem. Their high-end bikes are ok, but anything less is junk.

There are two bike shops on the east side of petchkasem. One at Tan Samai and one further in towards the Esso station. Which one do you mean?
I'm not familiar with Tam Samai. It's the shop with a pile of bikes out front.