The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by Lost »

sateeb wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:18 am Just dropped on YTS The Banshees of Inisherin
https://yts.mx/movies/the-banshees-of-inisherin-2022
Not watched yet but apparently an Oscar worthy performance from Colin Farrell and I'm sure Brendan Gleeson won't be too bad either. Gleeson is right up there in my favourite actors list.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:
sateeb wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:18 am Just dropped on YTS The Banshees of Inisherin
Not watched yet but apparently an Oscar worthy performance from Colin Farrell and I'm sure Brendan Gleeson won't be too bad either. Gleeson is right up there in my favourite actors list.
Weren't they together before in In Bruges?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Yes they were and Martin McDonough is the writer/director too
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've had this for a while but only just got around to watching it.

"Emancipation" (2022) starring Will Smith in a role that I could never have imagined him in. After Lincoln declared that all slaves are to be set free, the rebel southern states didn't recognise the dictate. Consequently, slaves either waited for the Union Army to set them free or claim freedom for themselves.

Based "upon a true story" and backed up by photographs of the real characters, I found it a compelling movie.

On YTS.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just got around to watching this as I noticed it's a film nominated as 'Best Movie 2022'

Very strange movie which cannot be anticipated even from scene to scene. I actually enjoyed it but don't ask me why!
Only recognisable face for me was Jamie Lee Curtis. Over 2 hours long.

'Everything, Everywhere, All at Once'

Available on YTS
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Knives Out: Glass Onion

Knives Out 1 (2019), KO 2 (2022)

If you haven't seen these, then you really should get to it. Very entertaining murder mysteries with a healthy splash of humour thrown in. Daniel Craig, miles away from the Bond stereotype, is very good indeed. They're on Amazon, but doubtless downloadable from all the usual culprits too. And KO 3 is in the pipeline!
:cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by dtaai-maai on Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the way
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

dtaai-maai wrote:Knives Out: Glass Onion

Knives Out 1 (2019), KO 2 (2022)

If you haven't seen these, then you really should get to it. Very entertaining murder mysteries with a healthy splash of humour thrown in. Daniel Craig, miles away from the Bond stereotype, is very good indeed. They're on Amazon, but doubtless downloadable from all the usual culprits too. And KO 3 is in the pipeline!
:cheers: :cheers:
ImageImage
Yes. On YTS.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Really enjoyed this one. Ralph Fiennes brilliant as always. YTS has it as a comedy/horror but ignore the horror bit it's just a fantastic satire on the rich and privileged.

The Menu (2022)
A young couple travel to a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises.

https://yts.mx/movies/the-menu-2022
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

sateeb wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:47 am Really enjoyed this one. Ralph Fiennes brilliant as always. YTS has it as a comedy/horror but ignore the horror bit it's just a fantastic satire on the rich and privileged.

The Menu (2022)
A young couple travel to a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises.

Been really looking forward to this one. Was just waiting for the 4k to stick in the vr bigscreen. Gonna be on later.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:45 am
Not at all the gentle comedy I was expecting. Some excellent performances, but to be honest it's not what I would call an easy watch. Some humourous moments, but on the whole it's pretty bloody dark.
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Agreed. Not a patch on Three Billboards or In Bruges.

― George Carlin
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:13 am
Lost wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:45 am
Not at all the gentle comedy I was expecting. Some excellent performances, but to be honest it's not what I would call an easy watch. Some humourous moments, but on the whole it's pretty bloody dark.
Not got around to watching it yet, but my brother commented that he simply couldn't get into it - nothing like previous movies with regards to either actor.

Still, I'll give it a go.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO sticking hot needles into your eyes might be more fun. How it got such a high IMDB rating is beyond me. I guess I'm just uncouth.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Lost wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:16 pm
sateeb wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:47 am Really enjoyed this one. Ralph Fiennes brilliant as always. YTS has it as a comedy/horror but ignore the horror bit it's just a fantastic satire on the rich and privileged.

The Menu (2022)

Been really looking forward to this one. Was just waiting for the 4k to stick in the vr bigscreen. Gonna be on later.
Only just got round to it yesterday. Meh, was alright. Was expecting more from it. Tried that Banshees of Inisherin yesterday, too. Couldn't get into it, will try again another day maybe. Did Glass Onion yesterday, too. Meh, first one was better. Also gave Black Adam a whirl... turned off half hour in.

Not the most successful of movie days, I've had. :wink:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

📢 Whoop Whoop

M3GAN has arrived.

https://yts.mx/movies/m3gan-2022