Firework display on New Year's eve..?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
PeteC

Re: Firework display on New Year's eve..?

Post by PeteC »

Would the Dusit time conflict with the Intercontinental time thus having 2 displays at the same time close to one another? Perhaps it was a mutual agreement type of thing as not to overlap.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We could see the Marriott display from where we stood, and there was nothing to agree on (I'm not sure if joelle is confusing Marriott with Dusit) - the Marriott's display was nothing to compare with the Intercontinental display. Other years, both displays have gone at the same time, and makes Hua Hin Beachfront look quite spectacular.

If there was also a Dusit display, I would have imagined distance wold have negated any clash/need for an agreement.

The fact is, people travel to Hua Hin for the midnight firework display, not a few damp squibs. It's only a short walk from my house, but I shan't be bothering next year. I feel sorry for those who travelled for the show.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I too made my way to the beach about half hour before midnight expecting to see a wonderful display..I DID get suspicious when there were no sign of life out to sea & no barge..? Yes There were lots of folk kinda camped on the beach waiting for a midnight spectacular... Intercontinental staff/management IMO you're a toss of bunchers, & Hua hin's biggest let down of 2022!!..Hang your heads in shame!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the barge was there because there was a great display going on at 10pm. We just didn't allow for Thai Time.

Points 48; Position 20
artyoz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by artyoz »

On seeing the posters around town advertising the Intercontinental Fireworks, and naming all the additional sponsors all in English, the remainder of the poster is in Thai.
Except for the numbers 22.00hr!!! I took it that fireworks at 10pm. But not knowing Thai I stand corrected.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Down at takiab beach there were home spun fireworks all night and at 12 o'clock 2 hotels did a fantastic display. As good as anything I have seen when sat outside the Hilton in previous years.

Tide was very low so lots of beach. All the places were doing good value buffets. Beer not expensive. Quite busy and a good atmosphere. We left just before 1am (having arrived at 8pm). Original plan was to go down to hua Hin beach about 10.30 but it sounds like we made the right decision to stay.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Posters? I didn't see a poster. That aside, despite being written in Thai, there were thousands of Thais on the beach waiting for the midnight fireworks.

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Not sure why the Intercon staff should be shamed, seeing as they advertised the show to start @ 22.00. Small kids as well as adults like to watch so I guess there was a trade off.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

A propos a comment by BB above. Maybe they should do an early show for the kids and a full-on show at midnight. Like they do in Sydney.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:06 pm A propos a comment by BB above. Maybe they should do an early show for the kids and a full-on show at midnight. Like they do in Sydney.
That is actually what I presumed was happening yesterday. When we set out from home, I was doubtful, but when I saw all of the other people on the beach who hadn't seen/read the poster, I was re-assured, Until midnight that is :laugh:

It is amazing i.e. I knew exactly what was happening with Pattaya's fireworks as it was all well published. I thought I knew what was happening with Hua Hin's fireworks :banghead:

Points 48; Position 20
artyoz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by artyoz »

Mistake No 1 Mr BB is u never PRESUME anything in Thailand and just because there were thousands of Thais on the beach a midnight most would be from Bangkok anyhow.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

sateeb wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:38 pm Not sure why the Intercon staff should be shamed, seeing as they advertised the show to start @ 22.00. Small kids as well as adults like to watch so I guess there was a trade off.
Didn't see any advert about the show staring at 22.00, but on their website it does specify countdown to midnight and spectacular fireworks as screenshot below.
This is why so many of us went for midnight to be unfortunately very disappointed
Attachments
received_1208179556749268.jpeg
(99.14 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

artyoz wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:04 pm Mistake No 1 Mr BB is u never PRESUME anything in Thailand and just because there were thousands of Thais on the beach a midnight most would be from Bangkok anyhow.
Quite right, and mistake number 2 was to believe the advert posted by the organiser (which I hadn't seen before).

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ah, the old Thai standard; "misunderstanding"! 22-00 hrs does not mean what we think it means!

The ones that miss out because of this BS is the little kids. Many places around the world run a reduced show at 21-00 hrs just for the kids. They can then be taken home to bed and the adults can go back out for the rest of the night.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!