Transfer of car ownership

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Transfer of car ownership

Post by ahandpatsy »

Hi there

Has anybody bought a pre owned car privately and therefore had to transfer ownership. Current owner is Thai from another province than PKK.

If so can anybody help me the process. Paperwork required. Where to go to get approved.

I am owner of Thai driving licence and on a retirement visa.

Any advice greatly received.

Ah
buksida

Re: Transfer of car ownership

Post by buksida »

You need to do it at the transport office (DLT).

Farangs need a copy of their passport and proof of address letter from immigration (or a copy of the yellow house book).

The seller needs a copy of their ID and their signature in the blue rego book. If they're not attending the transport office with the buyer, they also need to provide a signed proof-of-attorney form enabling the transfer to go through without them being present.

There will also be a fee to change provinces.

Edit: of course, these things change regularly but this was the case last time we did it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The transfer has to be done at the DLT where the car is registered. Otherwise you need to re-register it in your home province. I bought a car that was registered in BKK. Rather than go to BKK, I re-registered it in PKK. That had to be done with the seller present.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

HH Tel thankyou. What paperwork would I need to re register. I where is nearest dlt to hua hin. In pranburi where I got my licence ?

Cheers

Ah
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just jogging my memory. I remember it couldn't be done at the Pranburi office and had to go to the PKK office which is on the right a couple of kms before hitting the main traffic lights.
It was a couple of years ago. I'll try and massage my memory.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

There is no obligation (unless the law changed recently) to change the vehicle's place of registration. The transfer of ownership can be done at the office of the current registration. It just means the vehicle will not have PKK plates in this case. It may be easier for the buyer and seller to complete the transfer of ownership together, with money changing hands at the same time.

If wanted, the province of registration can be changed any time thereafter.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I never said that you have to re-register. The change of ownership has to be done at the DLT in the province where it's registered. If you're okay with that then fine. There's no ongoing advantage in re-registering your car. In my case I just didn't want to travel to BKK to change ownership. It also means that if I sell the car on locally, the transfer is easy, being local.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:I never said that you have to re-register. The change of ownership has to be done at the DLT in the province where it's registered. If you're okay with that then fine. There's no ongoing advantage in re-registering your car. In my case I just didn't want to travel to BKK to change ownership. It also means that if I sell the car on locally, the transfer is easy, being local.
Never said you said you had to. Just that no one had mentioned it and maybe the OP didn't realize.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Thankyou all. Will let you know what happens
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Help please. I am selling my truck (tearful sniff!) in part exchange for a new vehicle. No yellow book, so I know I have to go to immigration for proof of residence. Apart from provide all the car docs, can anyone advise if there is anything else I need to do?

The exchange is scheduled for the 15th. Do I need to wait until the last minute, or can I go to immigration now?

Thanks in anticipation.
Talk is cheap
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

If i remember the residency paper work is valid for 14 days.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

caller wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:16 pm Help please. I am selling my truck (tearful sniff!) in part exchange for a new vehicle. No yellow book, so I know I have to go to immigration for proof of residence. Apart from provide all the car docs, can anyone advise if there is anything else I need to do?

The exchange is scheduled for the 15th. Do I need to wait until the last minute, or can I go to immigration now?

Thanks in anticipation.
Normal visa copies and two photos. You should have a slip in your passport with your address from previous dealings which they will update with a new one. Car docs not required for residence letter just the info that you are buying or selling a car from memory.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Okay, thanks. I was a bit concerned I would have to drive to Pranburi for something. I will pop into Immigration to ask about the time scale,
Talk is cheap