Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:You guys are lucky you can count it in mm up there. We have to use feet to measure rainfall down here!
Not being funny but....... why do you live 'down there' in first place, and also continue to do so?

I'm sure there's a good reason.

I know you've talked about being away for longer to avoid the significantly higher rainfall down there

Yes, we are are a bunch of whingers up here. We have about the lowest rainfall in the country and still moan! Image

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

buksida

Post by buksida »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:10 pm Not being funny but....... why do you live 'down there' in first place, and also continue to do so?

I'm sure there's a good reason,
When we moved here over a decade ago (from Hua Hin), the weather was glorious for at least 8 months of the year and a lot cooler than the traffic and concrete jungle two hours north.

However, the seasonal patterns have changed drastically over the past 3-4 years and 6 month plus wet seasons, and flooding has become the new normal. No escaping climate change I guess, though I'm hoping a freak extended La Niña has had something to do with it and the rainy season will return to a normal 3-4 months next year.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Heavy rain forecast next week

The Meteorological Department is forecasting heavy rain and possible flooding in central and lower regions for several days next week, brought by an approaching low-pressure system.

Director-general Chomparee Chompurat said on Friday that a low-pressure system near Borneo would pass over Cape Ca Mau on the southern tip of VIetnam on Sunday and Monday and enter the Gulf of Thailand from Tuesday to Thursday.

It would bring heavy rain to the lower Central Plain including Greater Bangkok and the East and the South, Ms Chomparee said. She warned of possible flash flooding and the danger from mountain runoff.

Waves would be stronger in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand from Monday to Thursday and small boats should remain in port in the upper part of the Gulf during that period, she said.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm beginning to think this latitude is turning truly tropical similar to southern Malaysia and Singapore, in that we'll have periods of rain constantly year round? Perhaps proven when the hot season gets here and it's hot....but regularly wet....followed by monsoon?

Rinse...spin...and repeat.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We’ve got the start of a huge storm hitting us - very heavy rain and gusting winds with plenty of thunder and lightning for good measure - I hope it doesn’t last too long!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:We’ve got the start of a huge storm hitting us - very heavy rain and gusting winds with plenty of thunder and lightning for good measure - I hope it doesn’t last too long!!
What is it with Sunday night rain?!

That's three on the spin now....

PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

RAIN - 23mm in Hin Lek Fai this morning from 10.00pm last night
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I don’t have an accurate means of measuring the rainfall, but looking at my swimming pool this morning, I’d guess we had around 15mm.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:04 am I don’t have an accurate means of measuring the rainfall, but looking at my swimming pool this morning, I’d guess we had around 15mm.
Why GUESS when PET has given a Hua Hin accurate measurement above!
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

musungu wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:27 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:04 am I don’t have an accurate means of measuring the rainfall, but looking at my swimming pool this morning, I’d guess we had around 15mm.
Why GUESS when PET has given a Hua Hin accurate measurement above!
Because I’m giving the details of where I LIVE, not where PET’s measurement was taken at Hin Lek Fai and my guesstimate is 15mm at a location about 7km south of Cha Am!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Exactly, counting millimeters is an exercise in futility as different amounts of rain falls in different areas, its all very localized. The south of the province gets 10x more rain than the north as I'm painfully aware!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

NNT- National News Bureau of Thailand 
·
Thailand to Experience Heavy Downpours This Week

A low pressure cell is forecast to bring heavy rainfall to most of Thailand, including Bangkok, as it makes its way towards the southern coast of Vietnam on its way to the Gulf of Thailand.

According to the meteor Meteorological Department, residents in at least 50 provinces should expect heavy rain from Tuesday (22 Nov) to Thursday (24 Nov). These include Bangkok and its vicinity, along with Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Ayutthaya, Samut Songkhram, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani, Ranong, Phang-nga, Phuket, Krabi and

Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram and Surin, in particular, are forecast to experience heavy downpours from Wednesday (23 Nov) to Thursday.

Communities situated near rivers or at the base of mountain areas are meanwhile advised to prepare for possible flash floods and overflow.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

buksida wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:29 am Exactly, counting millimeters is an exercise in futility as different amounts of rain falls in different areas, its all very localized. The south of the province gets 10x more rain than the north as I'm painfully aware!
You may be right, anyway I shall not post on this subject again.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow!!! I read that list of provinces in paragraph 2 several times, thinking how lucky am I to be visiting Buriram this week. Then I moved to paragraph 3 :banghead:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Exactly, counting millimeters is an exercise in futility as different amounts of rain falls in different areas, its all very localized. The south of the province gets 10x more rain than the north as I'm painfully aware!
That's because you're that much closer to Nakhon Si Thammarat!

Christ it rains down there. Hua Hin only gets about 40% of their annual rainfall