Left Turn at Traffic Lights - Warning

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Left Turn at Traffic Lights - Warning

Post by Big Boy »

I've just received a ticket in the post for running a red light. That is something I most definitely don't deliberately do. Of course I will pay it, because resistance is futile, and the penalty is minor. However, it is worth sharing the circumstances.

I checked the time and date, and went onto Google Maps history to check my journey, and try to fathom what happened. There is only one possibility, and the timing fits perfectly with the ticket (7 minutes after leaving home). I turned left at the Tessebahn Lights while the light was red. Something I hadn't done while the notices were there, but the notices had been removed. So although they gave the illusion of the rule being removed, the notice had been replaced with a camera.

Of course, since the offence, the lights have been updated also, and there is a now filter light allowing turn left.

OK, it's a niggle, but the biggest niggle is the fine is halved if you pay within a certain timescale - notification was received today, the discounted payment period expired a month ago.

Incidentally, I have renewed my tax and insurance whilst this ticket has been outstanding. So that is an urban myth dispelled.

My Google maps history was fantastic for getting to the bottom of an offence that I wasn't aware of committing. It's a fair cop guv. :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Left Turn at Traffic Lights - Warning

Post by HHTel »

there is a now filter light allowing turn left
But only when that light is green. It does switch red and green.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that is what I meant :D

Points 51; Position 21
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Oh ..no :cry: I took that turn today on a motorcycle. Fair enough, I checked that other traffic would not be obstructed by my left turn, but that dont make it right, the law is the law. I've always thought about the (previously) locals who almost always just turn left there even if the traffic light shows red, and slowly but surely I've started following them, but I should have understood :oops: that something had changed when 2-3 of the locals waited as I turned left. May I ask how much traffic the offense cost?
hahuahin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just 500฿, which is halved if you receive and pay within a set period.

Points 51; Position 21
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

The last ticket I got was also a camera ticket. The offence was for being in the wrong lane in Bangkok traffic. Only trouble is you don't know your in the wrong lane until your in it. Lol
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm just hoping I only did it once. I certainly haven't done it since the filter lights came into play.

I just wrongly assumed removal of the wait for green light signs had returned to the way it used to be when I started driving here. The next set of lights along, I've been bollocked by police for obeying their wait for the green light signs, so an easy mistake to make. The camera doesn't lie. However, I can't emphasise how useful it was to be able to check my history on Google Maps, else I'd have been shouting injustice from the rooftops :laugh:

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hahuahin wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:28 pm Oh ..no :cry: I took that turn today on a motorcycle. Fair enough, I checked that other traffic would not be obstructed by my left turn, but that dont make it right, the law is the law. I've always thought about the (previously) locals who almost always just turn left there even if the traffic light shows red, and slowly but surely I've started following them, but I should have understood :oops: that something had changed when 2-3 of the locals waited as I turned left. May I ask how much traffic the offense cost?
hahuahin
On a motorcycle you might get away with it - if not you’ll be B250 poorer next month!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Before this latest 'change', the sign gave motorbikes permission to turn left but not cars.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:00 pm Before this latest 'change', the sign gave motorbikes permission to turn left but not cars.
Really? When they first introduced it, the police were always stopping motorcycles, judging by the complaints people were making. I'm fairly sure we have a thread on here somewhere with motorcyclists complaining.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Look at the blue sign on the left just before the lights. It shows 'motorbikes only' for turning left.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/hua ... OENGZ3cQAg
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

HHTel wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:19 pm Look at the blue sign on the left just before the lights. It shows 'motorbikes only' for turning left.

I see that but wasn't this just changed! When was this image from Google taken, or is it a live camera from today?
hahuahin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That was there until recently when they installed the filter light. It replaced the 'Turn left with caution' sign (which was a bad idea) and it remained until very recently.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

HHTel wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:19 pm Look at the blue sign on the left just before the lights. It shows 'motorbikes only' for turning left.

I’m pretty sure that sign does not refer to “turning left”. It refers to only motorcycles, bicycles, etc being allowed to queue up within that area while waiting for the light to change. They don’t want cars crowding right up to the painted crosswalk.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks, Scout. Now you've started a heated discussion between the Thais in my house. Some interpret it the same as I do and others say it's nothing to do with turning left. The translation I'm told is roughly 'Area for motorbikes and cycles only'.
So now I'm totally confused. Is this anything to do with the area ahead of the 4-wheeled traffic allowing bikes to wait for the lights in a 'new' area that has appeared of late? Now if you're at the front of a queue of cars, motorbikes amass in front of you.