Which UPS? (Uninterruptible power supply)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Which UPS? (Uninterruptible power supply)

Post by Ratsima »

I thought I'd asked this before, but can't find the thread.

I need a new UPS to replace a junk APC UPS. I bought the APC UPS last January. We had a power failure last night and the APC UPS immediately shut down. The battery seemed dead.

I found this odd because I have software that checks the UPS daily and the report always comes back that the battery is 100% charged and that the input voltage is around 230. This seems very normal.

The power was restored late last night. This morning I checked the UPS and found that the battery was down to 10% at which time it gives up. I also learned that the battery was very old:

battery.mfr.date: 2001/01/01

I'm not sure I trust a company that ships an UPS with a 21 year old battery.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new one, somewhere around 750 VA. It powers a router and an old iMac and a Raspberry PI. I would prefer one with a USB interface and which is supported by NUT - Network UPS Tools. That's what I use to monitor and control the UPS.

TIA
buksida

Re: Which UPS?

Post by buksida »

Instead of buying a new UPS, I just replaced the battery in mine (also an APC) which has given it another two years of life (and we get a LOT of power cuts). You can take it apart to see the spec of the battery, most of them can be found on Lazada.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I'm a bit reluctant to open the UPS. Maybe the battery still has some life and you get a 220V shock
buksida

Post by buksida »

You wont get much of a shock if the battery is dead and it is unplugged from the mains - these batteries are pretty small anyway.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Turns out it may not be the battery but some other flaw. I've been in touch with APC technical support. They had me reset the UPS and it started charging again. The UPS is connected to a Raspberry Pi running NUT (Network UPS Tools) so I have some decent diagnostic stuff on hand.

Bottom line is that APC is encouraging me to exchange it for a new one under warranty.