Toyota Yaris ATIV - 1.2 liter engine?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Toyota Yaris ATIV - 1.2 liter engine?

Post by Ratsima »

I read that Toyota has released a new Yaris that they call an ATIV. What surprised me is that it only has a 1.2 liter engine. I supposed that this is in the service of fuel economy, but the 1.5 liter engine in my similarly sized Vios seems barely adequate. I wonder if a 1.2 liter engine would be able to climb the grade between Saraburi and Muak Lek?

Toyota's page here (in Thai): Toyota Yaris ATIV
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Toyota Yaris ATIV - 1.2 liter engine?

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ratsima wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:43 am I read that Toyota has released a new Yaris that they call an ATIV. What surprised me is that it only has a 1.2 liter engine. I supposed that this is in the service of fuel economy, but the 1.5 liter engine in my similarly sized Vios seems barely adequate. I wonder if a 1.2 liter engine would be able to climb the grade between Saraburi and Muak Lek?

Toyota's page here (in Thai): Toyota Yaris ATIV
Should be ok
https://www.carscoops.com/2022/08/new-t ... y-corolla/
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Thanks for that. So the 1.2 liter engine is rated at 93 HP. My 1.5 liter Vios is just 110(?).
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ratsima wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:23 pm Thanks for that. So the 1.2 liter engine is rated at 93 HP. My 1.5 liter Vios is just 110(?).
Obviously neither are going to be bought for their speed, but the new Yaris looks reasonable value for money for what you get - just leave enough time to reach your destination.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

We've been very please with our little Vios. For a small car it's remarkably comfortable. I can fully stretch out my legs in the passenger seat. We've driven all over Thailand and Laos including a crazy trip up to Luang Prabang. It's about time for a replacement. Maybe the new Yaris is a contender.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I suppose, as with any car, you have to ask yourself the question "What do I want it for?"
People buy different cars or vehicles for all sorts of reasons, from being practical with a pickup to a being pimpy with a second-hand Merc S300.
As a 6ft 110 kilo dude there is nothing I can think of to justify buying 1.2 Yaris for anything other than a city run-around for the wife to go the mall etc. or a car for the daughter/son at uni... it would be a huge disappointment to drive IMO. Obviously it isn't aimed at someone like me, but any car I buy for my family unit must be able to be driven by me.
The other thing that bothers me about such cars is the crash-safety value as your feet are only a few inches from the front bumper (fender for you US types)... and that is bothersome to me.
I'm sure it has it's buyers, just not my demographic, I guess. I get the eco-nut stuff and cheap running of such an engine size, but dream on if you think that any limits are coming anywhere near Thailand, in a meaningful way, in the next 20 years. They can't afford it.
However, different strokes for different folks.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol