Govt approves 120km/h speed limit

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Govt approves 120km/h speed limit

Post by VincentD »

Slightly off topic, but to give an idea of the timeframe. I started coming to Thailand in the late '70's, back when everyone had a uniform, be it bus driver, teacher, postal worker.. They used these uniforms every day and were proud to use them. Can't remember when the ruling got lax but they are still supposed to use these uniforms every Monday. The Asian highway still had toll gates and the junction for highway 32 and highway 1 was just that, a junction. Traffic was horrible.
In Bangkok you were only able to go to a maximum of two places in one day. No highways back then, it was every man for himself.
So understand why this culture of 'who dares, goes first' is still prevalent.
วินเชนท์
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Two words that I often repeat to myself; PAY ATTENTION!!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

New rule caps cars at under 100kph on expressways

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... xpressways

Four-wheeled vehicles are not allowed to exceed 100 kilometres per hour on expressways, according to new ministry regulations reported by the Expressway Authority of Thailand (EXAT).

EXAT posted a public announcement to its social media channels declaring new ministry regulated speed limits for expressways that took effect on July 22.

On elevated expressways, four-wheeled vehicles cannot exceed 100 kilometres per hour, while trucks carrying less than 2.2 tonnes, public transport vehicles carrying less than 15 people and school buses cannot exceed 80 kilometres per hour, according to the new regulations.

For ground-level expressways, four-wheeled automobiles are limited to no more than 110 kilometres per hour while trucks carrying less than 2.2 tonnes, public transport vehicles carrying less than 15 people and school buses cannot exceed 90 kilometres per hour.

The announcement has garnered considerable attention and criticism online, with most commenters opining that driving at high speeds should be allowed for motorists willing to pay tolls.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"The announcement has garnered considerable attention and criticism online, with most commenters opining that driving at high speeds should be allowed for motorists willing to pay tolls."

And take chances.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

That 120 kmh speed limit on the expressways have been there for ages. The square-faced guy did try to reduce it to a recommended 110, but the signs were never taken down. I wonder which _elected official_ is trying to justify his (or hers) existence? One some roads, I think it is quite okay, given that modern cars can do this speed, but there were a couple of Ferraris playing catch on hwy 7 just now with complete disregard to the limit..
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This is all totally BS and confusing even for those who can think properly. :banghead: There are painted circles on road surfaces all over the country indicating minimums of 120 in the right, 100 in the middle and 80 in the left. In addition, many signs everywhere indicating the same.

There's also expressways like the Bangna-Trad elevated where the electronic signs haven't change from 80kph since the roadway was opened 20 years ago. :roll:

So what the hell are drivers? Simply bait for the MIB and their speed cameras on any given day? You get stopped, video everything including audio, of what these turkeys say and try to extort.

What idiots after making such a big deal about the 120kph policy published everywhere only 3 months ago, whereas now they sneak in this new regulation underneath everyone's radar. Don't want to lose face, do you Sparkey? :cuss:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Pete, my guess is this revenue stream totally dried up and the BIB got up in arms about who was going to be able to finance their lao Khao habit..
Hence the backtrack.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

BTW did get up the Bangna Trade elevated tollway from Chonburi yesterday, sadly there are radar enforced cameras every 2 km or so.
I would imagine the recently posted 120 kmh limit on those highways wiped out a lot of what they were getting; probably rendered the existing cameras obsolete as they were fixed to get anyone going over 90 kmh on the Asian highway.
วินเชนท์