Possible to up the attachments to 1-2mb?

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Possible to up the attachments to 1-2mb?

Post by Lost »

Not a big deal and I'll admit I don't know the ins, outs or costs of website design. To quote Manuel, "I know nothing"... (was gonna put a little Manuel gif here instead of quote but file too large :mrgreen:).

The current max for attachments is 500kb I believe. Umpteen times I'm met with the dreaded...

Screenshot_20220608_001042_edit_808466218328207.jpg
Screenshot_20220608_001042_edit_808466218328207.jpg (37.76 KiB) Viewed 1272 times

And umpteen times I've messed about with various file compactors with varying results. Images seem straight forward. Lost a lot of time trying to reduce the file size of other stuff. Things like the science and nature thread, I'm limited to sharing a tweet of something interesting I've noticed, or searching for a YouTube vid, rather than attaching short gifs of something interesting I've noticed outside of the main networks that are 'shareable'.

I understand this will not be a problem to 95% of the forum currently. These lot are still transitioning from smoke signals to WhatsApp (kidding chaps, calm :laugh: :duck: ). But posting decent visual stuff, outside of condensed image files, is often beneficial for engagement.

So... is to double or, even better, quadruple the attachment file size limit a monetary thing? I understand you upped it before, so possibly time to maybe up it again? :D

Like I said, I absolutely don't know. It's gobbledegook on Google for me. Waffling on about 'restricted by PHP' blah de blah, different language for me.

Sterling job lads, anyway.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by Lost on Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Possible to up the attachments to 1-2mb?

Post by Lev »

In short, no.

We will struggle to pay the hosting/server bill this year anyway because the forum makes nothing in terms of revenue (it currently runs at a loss). So if anything, we will be downsizing and restricting storage data when we move to a more affordable hosting package, if we remain online at all.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lev wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:45 am In short, no.

We will struggle to pay the hosting/server bill this year anyway because the forum makes nothing in terms of revenue (it currently runs at a loss). So if anything, we will be downsizing and restricting storage data when we move to a more affordable hosting package, if we remain online at all.
Thank you for the response, Lev. And I'm sorry to hear you're running at a loss atm. So, in short, us regular users of the forum need to stop moaning about file sizes ( :wink:) and start offering ideas for profitability or, God forbid, a little donation as a token of thanks here and there lest we lose our little town hall. :D
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

:idea: As there would be no real use hunting down sponsors or advertisers due to the somewhat limited number of users,
the idea of a small donation, contribution etc might be food for thought
i dont know how easy it would be for the brains trust to implement, but im sure any benefit would help
it doesnt need to be a set amount, a suggestion or idea of the amount might be a good start, but if the users feel they gain benefit from the forum a small contribution would perhaps keep their vehicle of entertainment, news, tips and information afloat..
the user could contribute as they feel inclined to....

not much is free anymore

just a thought..
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Having the option to donate a little something has no downsides. Many websites do it. Worst that can happen is you only pull in a little small change every now and then.

Though upon receiving the first installment of my annual £10 donation, I'll be pretty insistent that the attachment files get cranked up to 2 megs. :mrgreen:
Vise
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vise »

Hi all,
VERY long time lurker here...I used to be a member (Viseman), but lost access when I changed my email years ago. Since then, I've been on this forum a lot keeping up with Hua Hin. I was a Webster student from 2003-2006, and spent 3 semesters at our Cha-am campus. I remember my time there fondly, if somewhat foggily. I was quite the partier back then!

I rejoined under this new username because I enjoy this site enough not to want it to go under. I don't know what this forum costs to run on a monthly basis, but I'd definitely kick in a few bucks a month just to keep up with this place. I really wish we had a community like this where I live now (I'm an ESL teacher in South Korea), but everything seems so Facebook/Instagram oriented, and as such, is usually full of spam/ off-topic nonsense. The forum is a real wonderful resource, and a nice window into the city for those of us who can't be there. Let's see if anyone else would be willing to put their money where mouth (or keyboard) is.

Out of curiosity, what does the site roughly cost to run monthly? That would give us members a goal to shoot for.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Ha ha, first post and you ask that to admin... ha ha. I joined 14 years ago and have posted over 5k posts and I bet you Admin wouldn't tell me that either.

:laugh:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:46 pm Having the option to donate a little something has no downsides. Many websites do it. Worst that can happen is you only pull in a little small change every now and then.

Though upon receiving the first installment of my annual £10 donation, I'll be pretty insistent that the attachment files get cranked up to 2 megs. :mrgreen:
I brought up the subject a little while ago with one of the Mods and it seems things are not quite so easy "lost" - All to do with how payments are made/transfers etc. I'd gladly put in a few quid - it's all a bit of fun (for the majority of the time), and for me at least gave me a huge helping hand when I was first visiting HH.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Vise
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vise »

Spitfire wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:15 pm Ha ha, first post and you ask that to admin... ha ha. I joined 14 years ago and have posted over 5k posts and I bet you Admin wouldn't tell me that either.

:laugh:
I can be very persuasive!

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Seriously though, I figured as much. No harm in asking.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

We are considering all options but as mentioned, receiving money anonymously for donations these days is not as easy as it used to be.