The Ashes 2021

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

The Ashes 2021

Post by Henry 14th »

The Aussie bowling front is an impressive force. Consistent lines and aggressive…it makes it hard to bat against.

In saying that, the English batting was terrible and perhaps made the Aussie bowlers look better than they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Re: The Ashes 2021

Post by pharvey »

In an excerpt from a BBC report (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60006669), the following makes some sad reading: -

"Instead, Australia repeated their margin of victory from the series four years ago and extend England's winless run down under to 15 Tests.

Overall, Joe Root's side have won only one of their past 14 Tests since February last year. :roll:

By the time they return to Australia in 2025 it will be 14 years since their last success in an away Ashes Test."

There have obviously been some miserable tours to Australia, but surely there's going to be significant fallout from this one and heads will roll - or is the ECB a "boys club" where there will be "protection"?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote
There have obviously been some miserable tours to Australia, but surely there's going to be significant fallout from this one and heads will roll - or is the ECB a "boys club" where there will be "protection"?
Starting from the top Silverwood may be sacrificed
Root as a captain is doubtful, a good batsman, however I am not sure about his tactics. He is respected by the team.
Hameed and Pope both need to be rested and get more experience.
Stokes prone to injury but is a good aggressive player.
Broad and Andersen, superb bowlers will be difficult to replace.
Wood and Robinson who do you replace them with
Malan not consistant
Crawley probably the best of a bad bunch of openers
Burns needs replacing
Bairstow and Butler when on form both an be very good.
Apart from all of that, I believe the problem is with English cricket. Not enough county 4 day matches and to many 20 over 100 ball matches and 50 over matches. Drop the 100 ball games the 20 over matches are 120 ball anyway. The 100 ball and 20 oer matches require a different type of batting. :cheers:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 pmApart from all of that, I believe the problem is with English cricket. Not enough county 4 day matches and to many 20 over 100 ball matches and 50 over matches. Drop the 100 ball games the 20 over matches are 120 ball anyway. The 100 ball and 20 oer matches require a different type of batting. :cheers:
I've heard these comments quite a few times. OK, I have a limited knowledge of cricket and probably a tad naive - I do understand that there are obviously different tactics and requirements in the "Limited Overs" game, BUT WHY does this mean that England's quality of batting has been so abysmal in the 5 Day Test format? Does the quality of bowling increase dramatically? A different ratio of Spinners/Fast/Medium paced bowling? That said, are the quality of the "Wickets" different - simply to suit the longer match?

lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The batting is the big difference in 4 day matches you take a couple of overs to get your eye in. 20/20 and 100 ball matches the smack the ball around almost immediately.
Looking at the bowlers in short matches they bowl to restrict scoring ,wickets are a bonus. Intest matches they do not mind the scoring to much more chance of a wicket.
The wickets can make a bi difference dry dusty suits spin, greener damp wickets suits seam bowler. Fast bowters like a new ball, spin an old ball, seamers like damp weather.
The is a brief resume and some bits may be cricticised or questioned.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:38 pm The batting is the big difference in 4 day matches you take a couple of overs to get your eye in. 20/20 and 100 ball matches the smack the ball around almost immediately.
Looking at the bowlers in short matches they bowl to restrict scoring ,wickets are a bonus. Intest matches they do not mind the scoring to much more chance of a wicket.
The wickets can make a bi difference dry dusty suits spin, greener damp wickets suits seam bowler. Fast bowters like a new ball, spin an old ball, seamers like damp weather.
The is a brief resume and some bits may be cricticised or questioned.
Thanks lindos - also found this on the Internet which does explain some of the rules effecting the different formats. Key amongst them (Limited Overs) IMHO being: -

"The fielding side has to abide to certain rules and restrictions to prevent teams setting up defensive outfields."

Explains why they can't necessarily "smack the ball around" in Test Matches.... :wink: :oops:

https://www.keithprowse.co.uk/news-and- ... s-cricket/

Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

All done. I used to hear the joyful sound on leather hitting willow but all I hear now is the stump mike picking up the sound of bats being bashed against the popping crease. In particular Steve Smith seems to want to destroy his bat or perhaps he is doing a quality control check. Snicko is a distraction. A snigger meter would be handy when Warner got his pair of ducks.