Keto diet and low carb eating

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Keto Diet

Post by HHTel »

There are a couple of Keto restaurants in HH. They are:

Keto Hua Hin
Keto food by Kengpochana

I've not tried them but from their pics and reviews, looks quite good.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Henry 14th wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:54 pm I ate a lot of creamed spinach to get me going on the fat intake. Bacon, cream, cheese for the fat, and spinach for the vitamins.

Also found avocado and egg mayonnaise to be a yummy high fat breakfast. Home made mayo instead of the sugar laced stuff in jars, it’s easy to make and goes well with a lot of keto meals.

It’s a tough diet to stick to, especially as you mentioned that everything here is sugar and carbs, making eating out with Keto in mind a challenge.
Thanks, a few helpful ideas there, like the idea of the homemade mayo. The Mrs is already working on a keto bread recipe as she's pretty good at baking regular bread. We don't eat out very often so that's not a worry.

HHTel, not in HH so not an option!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:22 pm
handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:12 pm Check out goodkarma.com. lots of keto foods and everything is 10% off until Jan. 10th.
Gives me an error, sure its the correct address? Is the shop in Thailand?
handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:12 pm Weigh yourself no more than once a week, in the morning, before you eat or drink anything. Don't weigh yourself everyday or you'll drive yourself crazy.
Weight is not the problem, I'm quite comfortable with it and not overweight for my height. The beer belly needs to go though, never had one of those before!
google, good-karma Thailand
buksida

Post by buksida »

Would have been easier just to post the link. Here is the Keto section of foods (pretty pricey though): https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/ingre ... /keto.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:09 am Would have been easier just to post the link. Here is the Keto section of foods (pretty pricey though): https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/ingre ... /keto.html
Easier for you. I'm an analog person stuck in a digital world.
timuphill
Amateur
Amateur

Low carb and Keto eating

Post by timuphill »

On soi 88 there is a new Ketohouse.. that sell low carb and Keto products.
THey are great for people who try to lose weight and avoid sugar.
This is their FB. https://www.facebook.com/KetoHouseHuaHin/
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks, will have a look next time we're in Hua Hin.

5 days in now and upping the fat is challenging, hence the daily calorie count is dropping naturally which should assist fat burning. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Lazada so we can start on our own Keto recipes. Also found a sugar replacement called Erythritol which can be used in coffee and for cooking. This could be a long-term thing if we can get enough variety. Would be good to avoid chemical Thai beer permanently, and sugar-laden 7-Eleven, but the mrs is struggling without her rice fix!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've been using Erythritol in place of sugar for the best part of a year now. Although some 'possible' side effects are reported, I've had none.

It's slightly less sweet than sugar but you can use it in anything that you would normally use sugar.

N.B. I order from Lazada 3 kg at a time. So far, it's always been delivered the next day.
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:10 am N.B. I order from Lazada 3 kg at a time. So far, it's always been delivered the next day.
Yep, ordered 5kg of it yesterday, but deliveries take a week down here in the boonies. Also got some MCT oil on the way, peanut and almond butter, and almond flower to make some Keto bread.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

buksida wrote:
HHTel wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:10 am N.B. I order from Lazada 3 kg at a time. So far, it's always been delivered the next day.
Yep, ordered 5kg of it yesterday, but deliveries take a week down here in the boonies. Also got some MCT oil on the way, peanut and almond butter, and almond flower to make some Keto bread.
Psyllium husk is a good wheat flour alternative for keto. Can be used for baking bread and making keto friendly pasta.

Batches of keto friendly lasagna are great, lots of cheese, cream cheese, sour cream make a very tasty alternative.

Very heavy so portion sizes are small….but that’s the object of it all I suppose.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-lasagna

Lots of free menu ideas and recipes here. It’s takes effort but the variation is there and the results in body and mind are more than worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timuphill
Amateur
Amateur

Keto and Low Carb restaurants in HH

Post by timuphill »

Any good Keto restaurants in HH? I know many Thai dishes can be done keto friendly, but I think we need some real keto restaurants here. (I have talked to many restaurant that they should make a Keto menu, but no takers yet.) One easy Keto dish is chicken Donner salad without bread. I have it often in Blueport.

Keto eating is great for diabetics, and people who want to lose weight and avoid sugar and junk carbohydrates; it's healthy diet.

There is a new Keto house shop on soi 88 that has Keto snacks, foods, and ingredients for food making. THey also have Erythritol, which is alcohol sugar, but it does not raise your blood glucose levels and it can be used in may dishes, coffee, etc. Eating Keto does not mean that you cannot have any sweet snacks :)

If you don't know what Keto and Low Carb eating it all about this thread has some good information: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38452&start=45
buksida

Re: Keto diet and low carb eating

Post by buksida »

timuphill wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:08 am Any good Keto restaurants in HH? I know many Thai dishes can be done keto friendly, but I think we need some real keto restaurants here. (I have talked to many restaurant that they should make a Keto menu, but no takers yet.)
The key would be getting places to cook without adding all the sugar to the meals (and dropping the rice of course) - pretty much everything in Thailand is loaded with sugar, avoiding it has been the biggest challenge so far but we rarely eat out unless we're on the road.

I contacted the Keto place on 88 but they don't deliver/ship items, and only use Food Panda which is useless to anyone not living in central Hua Hin. Lazada has been the best source of Keto food and ingredients so far.
timuphill
Amateur
Amateur

Post by timuphill »

"The key would be getting places to cook without adding all the sugar to the meals (and dropping the rice of course) - pretty much everything in Thailand is loaded with sugar, avoiding it has been the biggest challenge so far but we rarely eat out unless we're on the road."
Yes that's the problem with Thai food... but If there were a real Keto restaurant they could do many Thai and other foods that require sugar with Erythritol. And also the Keto restaurants could have Keto deserts, ice cream, etc.

I hope some chef reads this and creates a Keto menu... it could turn out to be popular even with Thais. Most customers in the Keto house are Thais. They don't even have a sign in English.. I talked to them to put a sign outside saying Low cab and Keto, but so far have not done anything about it. :)

Most chefs think that they would have to learn something totally new with Keto, which is not the case. For example, you serve a hamburger without bun and instead of fries, you would serve cottage cheese or salad. The same with most Thai dishes, no rice, but hefty serving salad or vegetables.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Check out Keto Hua Hin

https://www.google.com/search?q=keto%20 ... UG_tfe4;mv:[[12.6233385,99.9734669],[12.5195858,99.9344923]]

Their photos of take-aways and ready meals look good.

Also Keto Food by Kengpochana.

https://www.google.com/search?q=keto%20 ... bYFPl0Y;mv:[[12.6233385,99.9734669],[12.5195858,99.9344923]]

They're on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/kengpochana

Their menu with photos also look good.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'm a couple of weeks into it now and I'm still not sure if I'm actually in Ketosis yet. Either way, I've lost 3 kilos since the beginning of the year so something is working.

I've noticed there are various Ketone testing kits available on Laz, has anyone tried them? Are there any other tell-tale signs that your body is actually in Ketosis?