Tennis US Open (2021)

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: The US Open (tennis)

Post by lindosfan1 »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:21 pm
GroveHillWanderer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 pm And I wouldn't be at all surprised to find she speaks Romanian, either.
Guess what - she does!

Here's a clip of her replying in what apparently sounds like fluent Romanian to a fan, after the US Open Final.

I would be happy to have a third of her different skills. One of those very few people that have skils inwhat ever they do.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:22 pm
GroveHillWanderer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:21 pm
GroveHillWanderer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 pm And I wouldn't be at all surprised to find she speaks Romanian, either.
Guess what - she does!

Here's a clip of her replying in what apparently sounds like fluent Romanian to a fan, after the US Open Final.

I would be happy to have a third of her different skills. One of those very few people that have skills in what ever they do.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Well Emma's first game since her US Open triumph saw her get dumped 6-2 6-4 in the 2nd round of the Indian Wells. :( :( :(

Less celebrity stuff Emma, more tennis!
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Lost wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:09 am Well Emma's first game since her US Open triumph saw her get dumped 6-2 6-4 in the 2nd round of the Indian Wells. :( :( :(

Well, she was never going to be able to just breeze in and win every tournament she entered. No-one, not even the top, top players, is able to do that.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:25 pm
Lost wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:09 am Well Emma's first game since her US Open triumph saw her get dumped 6-2 6-4 in the 2nd round of the Indian Wells. :( :( :(

Well, she was never going to be able to just breeze in and win every tournament she entered. No-one, not even the top, top players, is able to do that.
I guess this was the worry - never out of the spotlight since the US Open, a lot of unnecessary pressure at Indian Wells IMO. New coach/coaching team..... I hope she'll bounce back quickly.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:49 am Sports personality of the year - shortlist of one. Well done, kiddo, brilliant throughout. And well done to Fernandez too, who battled throughout, then got a bit upset at the delay, but gave Emma a genuine hug at the end.

It seems I might have to start watching women's tennis after all, at least when Emma is playing...
Your prediction came true D-M, although personally it’s looking more like it cold have been a one-off wonder. Hopefully she will get herself a settled coach and her feet back on the ground and move on to win a few more tournaments rather than peaking at such a young age.

Nothing against Emma, but to me it’s too soon to be getting such awards, although that’s also a sad reflection on the competition she was up against.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/59687576
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Have to disagree Dannie. It's called Sports Personality Of The Year. Whatever the opposition, she went through the qualies and won a Grand Slam major at such a young age. Whatever happens in the future is yet to be seen but IMO a well deserved award. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sateeb wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:08 am Have to disagree Dannie. It's called Sports Personality Of The Year. Whatever the opposition, she went through the qualies and won a Grand Slam major at such a young age. Whatever happens in the future is yet to be seen but IMO a well deserved award. :cheers:
I think my gripe is more with the BBC than Emma (or previous winners too) in calling it “Sports Personality” - it really has nothing to do with personality and should simply be Sports Person of the year or something similar - as a one-off achievement I wouldn’t argue against her winning that, in what was otherwise a pretty mediocre year within the sports world.
:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Well personally, I think she's got a wonderful personality.... And the US win was a wonderful achievement - why should it be a "one off"? I truly hope she goes forward with more success but doesn't succumb to the financial BS that is in top level sport these days... :D

Would you rather it be given to the likes of the petulant prat Crashappen? After all, he's won (sorry stolen) the F1 World Championship and has been successful in the sport for several years. Or the drug taking "Gypsy King" for example? OR Harry Kane who slides on his backside towards the corner flag after netting a goal, awaiting a BJ perhaps?

Who would you choose?!

Sorry, but I'll stick with Emma - well deserved "Sports PERSONALITY of The Year 2021"!! :thumb: :neener:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:08 am ^ Well personally, I think she's got a wonderful personality.... And the US win was a wonderful achievement - why should it be a "one off"? I truly hope she goes forward with more success but doesn't succumb to the financial BS that is in top level sport these days... :D

Would you rather it be given to the likes of the petulant prat Crashappen? After all, he's won (sorry stolen) the F1 World Championship and has been successful in the sport for several years. Or the drug taking "Gypsy King" for example? OR Harry Kane who slides on his backside towards the corner flag after netting a goal, awaiting a BJ perhaps?

Who would you choose?!

Sorry, but I'll stick with Emma - well deserved "Sports PERSONALITY of The Year 2021"!! :thumb: :neener:

I did say there wasn’t a lot of genuine competition this year and I definitely wouldn’t advocate such a contentious winner of the F1 title, even though it had been a close battle throughout the year.

My main concern was hoping that these early success’s won’t affect her long-term prospects in a sport where there are hawks waiting at every corner waiting to exploit her obvious talents, where their main (only) interest is money!! I hope she keeps her feet firmly planted to the floor rather than the money.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:08 am Harry Kane who slides on his backside towards the corner flag after netting a goal, awaiting a BJ perhaps?

I take my last comment back on the football thread. You are now a Wendyball expert! To the point you even know players' trademark goal celebrations. The hell happened to you in lockdown fella? :laugh:

Compared to Ronald's 'Siuuu' celebration, the Harry Kane bumslide doesn't hold up.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote:
pharvey wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:08 am Harry Kane who slides on his backside towards the corner flag after netting a goal, awaiting a BJ perhaps?

I take my last comment back on the football thread. You are now a Wendyball expert! To the point you even know players' trademark goal celebrations. The hell happened to you in lockdown fella? :laugh:

Compared to Ronald's 'Siuuu' celebration, the Harry Kane bumslide doesn't hold up.
I reckon the pair of you are on the same “medication”, as neither of you are sleeping during normal nighttime hours in the UK, so maybe it’s making you think alike too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk