Minimum Wage

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PeteC

Minimum Wage

Post by PeteC »

Today the USA raised their's to $7.25 per hour, that's 247.66 Baht per hour at todays rate. This the wage your teenage daughter or son would get working after school part time at a McDonalds, as an example.

I think that about equals the Thai minimum DAILY wage? :shock:

What is the minimum hourly in the UK?

Does anyone know the highest in the world or at least in the EU? Pete :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Pete, I just asked one of my colleagues here in Luxembourg, and apparently the minimum wage here is about 9 euros an hour which sounds pretty reasonable. I know people here that are paying 15 euros an hour for occasional domestic cleaners!
That simplifies things a little though, as there are also large numbers of illegal east Europeans here working for less.
I think in the UK the minimum wage used to be 5.35 pounds an hour, but that might have changed.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

UK it is £5.35 per hour = 347 baht per hour.
:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

Thailand i think is 200bht for a 10hour day in Bangkok , but farming is 25bht an hour some pay 30bht .
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Years ago when the Pound was around 1.87-1.90 to the USD, my old company would transfer people from the USA to the London office. If they were making lets say $50,000 a year, they would automatically get 50,000 pounds per year to maintain their lifestyle. Fair and not a bad deal I guess.

I guestion some Thai pricing practices though at present. The baht has strengthened about 15% against the dollar over the past year. The Thai do and always have purchased their foreign oil in dollars. However, pump prices here continue to rise and do not reflect this currency change at all. Someone is getting rich.

Let's say the Thai minimum wage is 250 baht per day, assembly line workers at the car factories must be getting paid about 500-750 baht per day depending upon skill. That is still very cheap as compared to the USA or EU car manufacturers. However, a Chevy pick up truck here will sell for about $25,000, about the same price as those made in the USA. Again, someone is getting rich. Pete :cheers:
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I agree Pete, this brings me back to my hotel posts price of room same as Europe and staff paid local wages, someone is getting very rich.
price of pick up local wages and sold at a close price to europe price. The main thing with me as well is how do the Thai aford these BMW and MERC,S.