Non-Ethanol fuel

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Non-Ethanol fuel

Post by NOKYAI »

Hi guys!
I have a '75 Vespa about to come out of restoration and an old jet boat. Both, especially the boat say no Ethanol! Has anyone seen garages selling this? I believe the pump colour should be bright yellow!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Re: Non-Ethanol fuel

Post by KhunLA »

PTT north of HHH has it: http://tiny.cc/kigiuz
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Yes, it is the fuel with the yellow tag. I use this exclusively with my car, and is difficult but not impossible to find. Only at the PTT petrol stations, and not all of them carry it. The Thais call it 'benzene', while the ethanol based fuels are called 'so-hol'. FYI.
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Some Caltex stations have it as well. It's called Gold 95 with Techron® and is about 37 Baht per liter. In days gone by Esso had it also, but not sure about now.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hmm. The only Caltex station near me discontinued it some time ago. However, have actually seen it at one Susco station and also PT. PTT is still the cheapest, however, at around one baht less per liter than the competition. And with their loyalty card, you can use points accrued to purchase fuel at a later date.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I have made it a point to commit to memory the specific locations that sell this along my frequently traveled routes - Asian highway some clicks past Nakhon Sawan, and also Chonburi on the way to Klaeng. GPS is is useful tool.
วินเชนท์
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Thanks guys!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Most of the bikers I know with newer bikes will try to use the yellow Benzene petrol where ever possible.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Ethanol has a lower energy content than benzene. This causes slightly higher fuel consumption under controlled conditions, but in the real world is much higher. Factor in the ease of evaporation and the mileage difference becomes significant. You will also feel a difference in the amount of power available when putting your foot down.
The price difference between ethanol based benzine and pure benzine eventually evens out, but you do have to fill up more often, and have less power on tap.
This is basically my experience with these fuels, I call it as I see it. YMMV.
วินเชนท์
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Can someone if they know, please post any updates with location (GPS if possible) any station(s) near Hua Hin, Cha Am and Pranburi which has benzene. The yellow pure gasoline without ethanol.

YNWA

YNWA