Social media abuse

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Social media abuse

Post by dtaai-maai »

I've started a new thread because this goes way beyond Facebook. It's also a much wider subject than pro football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59054308
Social media pressure on football bosses is "out of control", says Inter Miami coach Phil Neville.

His former Manchester United team-mate and current boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has faced a storm of criticism after Sunday's 5-0 home defeat by Liverpool.

It is looking increasingly likely the Norwegian will remain in charge for Saturday's game at Tottenham.

But Neville said: "Social media is an absolute cesspit for people that are just the lowest of the lowest."

He added: "We live in an era where it's seen as quite normal to ask people to be sacked, which I find absolutely incredible. If you were any other workplace and you walked into a shop and you said, 'I want you to be sacked', I think you would be reported to the police.

"People don't probably realise that the things they are writing hurt families, hurt human beings, people that have problems in their lives, and nothing gets done about it."

[...]
Another former United team-mate, Steve Bruce, said the abuse he faced as Newcastle manager 'took a toll on his whole family' after he left the club last week.

Neville added: "The Steve Bruce case went beyond criticism. That was a form of bullying, disgusting behaviour, trolling, some of the most disgusting things I have ever read or seen in my whole life."
I agree with all the above, but I'm not sure that professional footballers/managers and other celebrities with huge incomes are the best examples of on-line abuse victims. Take Bruce, for example. When he was sacked (or rather 'left by mutual consent'... :laugh: ) he received an £8 million golden handshake. I'd put up with a fair bit of abuse for that.

And celebrities court social media for all sorts of reasons, mostly to do with self-promotion - as ye sow, so shall ye reap...

if you don't look at it, then there really is no problem.
This is the way
pharvey

Re: Social media abuse

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:38 amI'm not sure that professional footballers/managers and other celebrities with huge incomes are the best examples of on-line abuse victims.And celebrities court social media for all sorts of reasons, mostly to do with self-promotion - as ye sow, so shall ye reap...
The overpaid Wendyballers, the selfish and low IQ (for those who can spell it), other sport and media celebrities and so-called "influencers" can kiss my hairy Welsh @rse - they are a disgrace :cuss:

The twunts should be punished and punished severely. Far too many keyboard warriors that cause upset amongst adults and incredible upset with young adults.
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:38 am if you don't look at it, then there really is no problem.
Easier said than done - personally I don't use "Social Media" - aside from HHF, which is not the dark hole of others.... I couldn't give a flying cr@p, but the likes of my young nephews and nieces are caught up in it. Any "bullying" in my younger years was at school and face to face... NEVER as it it these days and "faceless". I played for the rugby team at school, so was never bullied - but have seen it first hand in my day (physical) and the shittyness of what it is these days (keyboard warriors).

Parents have a great deal to do with things, BUT it's hard. My sister as a single parent works two jobs to take care of my pain in the arse nephew - fully into Social Media and against the world in general these days. Was a great kid - now I'm seriously worried.

Moving away from the original post, sorry DM - but basically "Social Media" is a load of gonads when abused....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Social media abuse

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:19 am Parents have a great deal to do with things, BUT it's hard. My sister as a single parent works two jobs to take care of my pain in the arse nephew - fully into Social Media and against the world in general these days. Was a great kid - now I'm seriously worried.

Moving away from the original post, sorry DM - but basically "Social Media" is a load of gonads when abused....
No, you're exactly on... on... damn, what's the expression... on point? That was exactly where I wanted to go. My daughter is a single parent to 2 teenage girls and a 5-year old boy. Social media is a huge part of their life, for good and for bad. The girls appear to be dealing with it, but both have been subject to bullying in person and on line and received precious little support from the school at the time. I'm much more concerned for them than I am for the rich and famous.
This is the way