Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote:Lovely looking place you have there Dannie Boy. Rather jealous as I type from my little box in North London. :mrgreen:
It’s available at a price!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:12 pm
Lost wrote:Lovely looking place you have there Dannie Boy. Rather jealous as I type from my little box in North London. :mrgreen:
It’s available at a price!!

Pffft, I'm a millennial (that didn't get into tech). You think we have money? :wink:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

According to Thai Met we eventually got 113mm in August in Hua Hin

Quite a lot more than the August monthly average of 71mm(+60%)

10 days ago we looked to be having a dryish month?? Didn't seem that wet to me but maybe I was asleep!

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Warnings issued of heavy rain as tropical storm nears

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... torm-nears

Most regions of the country can expect to be drenched in the next 24 hours as heavy rain is forecast as Tropical Storm Conson approaches, the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) says.

The TMD reported on Tuesday afternoon that the storm was moving across the central Philippines in a northwesterly direction towards Vietnam.

As it approaches the storm will likely bring a 70-80% chance of rain in all regions except the South in the next 24 hours. The downpours in many parts of the country are likely to continue until next Monday.

Persistent heavy rain could trigger downstream surges in rivers, including the Chao Phraya which flows through Bangkok, raising the risk of widespread flooding, the Royal Irrigation Department (RID), said.

RID director-general Prapit Chanma said he has issued instructions to all irrigation projects in areas predicted to be affected by the heavy rainfall to closely monitor water levels.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, all districts have been ordered to closely monitor water levels in reservoirs, for while major dams still have spare storage capacity some smaller ones are already full.

Provincial governor Kobchai Boon-orana said on Tuesday recent rain had increased flow into 27 large and middle-sized reservoirs. Many were now at 60% or more of their holding capacity.

Lam Takong Dam in Si Khiu district was holding 214 million cubic metres of water, or 66.13% of its capacity of 314 million cubic metres. Lam Phra Phloeng Dam in Pak Thong Chai district had 100 million cu/m, or 64.54 of its capacity of 155 million cu/m, the governor said.

These and two other dams had room for a lot more water, he said, provided there were no heavy storms or monsoon rains like those that pounded this northeastern province last year.

Mr Kobchai said even if the storms were severe, flooding and overflow from Lam Takhong and Lam Phra Phloeng dams would not be too bad.

Water levels in three out of 23 middle-sized reservoirs had already exceeded their holding capacities, he said. They are Lam Chiang Sa, Ban San Kamphaeng in Wang Nam Khieo and Lam Chiang Krai reservoir in Non Thai district.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

PeteC wrote:Warnings issued of heavy rain as tropical storm nears

Most regions of the country can expect to be drenched in the next 24 hours as heavy rain is forecast as Tropical Storm Conson approaches, the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) says.

The TMD reported on Tuesday afternoon that the storm was moving across the central Philippines in a northwesterly direction towards Vietnam.

As it approaches the storm will likely bring a 70-80% chance of rain in all regions except the South in the next 24 hours. The downpours in many parts of the country are likely to continue until next Monday.

Persistent heavy rain could trigger downstream surges in rivers, including the Chao Phraya which flows through Bangkok, raising the risk of widespread flooding, the Royal Irrigation Department (RID), said.

RID director-general Prapit Chanma said he has issued instructions to all irrigation projects in areas predicted to be affected by the heavy rainfall to closely monitor water levels.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, all districts have been ordered to closely monitor water levels in reservoirs, for while major dams still have spare storage capacity some smaller ones are already full.

Provincial governor Kobchai Boon-orana said on Tuesday recent rain had increased flow into 27 large and middle-sized reservoirs. Many were now at 60% or more of their holding capacity.

Lam Takong Dam in Si Khiu district was holding 214 million cubic metres of water, or 66.13% of its capacity of 314 million cubic metres. Lam Phra Phloeng Dam in Pak Thong Chai district had 100 million cu/m, or 64.54 of its capacity of 155 million cu/m, the governor said.

These and two other dams had room for a lot more water, he said, provided there were no heavy storms or monsoon rains like those that pounded this northeastern province last year.

Mr Kobchai said even if the storms were severe, flooding and overflow from Lam Takhong and Lam Phra Phloeng dams would not be too bad.

Water levels in three out of 23 middle-sized reservoirs had already exceeded their holding capacities, he said. They are Lam Chiang Sa, Ban San Kamphaeng in Wang Nam Khieo and Lam Chiang Krai reservoir in Non Thai district.
And before this rain arrives were currently on course for 3 times the average monthly September rainfall after the first 7 days!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There's a lot of lightning heading our way from the North. I've been sat on the front porch watching it get closer for the last hour.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

PeteC wrote:Warnings issued of heavy rain as tropical storm nears

Pete, they were right about "except for the South"

Hua Hin only got 1.6mm yest when we should average 4mm per September day

But considering the local forecast I was happy only to get a 5 min shower on 2 of my 9 holes! Image

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

In the first 14 days of this month we've had 89% of the average monthly rainfall for September

Let's hope things now even themselves out, but it could be a wet one

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Weather warning issued as tropical storm Dianmu approaches

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather ... approaches

The Thai Meteorological Department has issued a warning for the North, Northeast, East and Central regions, as it monitors tropical storm Dianmu, which is expected to be downgraded to a tropical depression. The TMD says the storm made landfall over the central Vietnamese province of Quang this morning and is about 260 kilometres southeast of Amnat Charoen province, in north-east Thailand.

With maximum sustained winds of 65 kilometres an hour, the storm is moving west at around 20 kilometres an hour and expected to become a tropical depression as it reaches Amnat Charoen and neighbouring Ubon Ratchathani.

More rain is forecast, with isolated heavy to very heavy downpours for the North, Northeast, East and Central regions, including Bangkok and surrounding areas. Residents are being warned of the risk of flash flooding, with the following areas expected to bear the brunt of the storm over the next 2 days.

September 24

Northeast
Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Bung Kan, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen, Yasothon, Roi Et, Kalasin, Maha Sarakham, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani.

East
Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Trat.

September 25

North
Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Tak, and Phetchabun.

Northeast
Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, and Nakhon Ratchasima

Central Thailand
Nakhon Sawan, Lop Buri, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Suphan Buri, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Prathom, Bangkok and its vicinity.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Yes Pete, here in Hua Hin we are currently on target for a very wet September (approx +/- 60% above the Sept monthly average for Hua Hin)

We had the monthly average in the first 16 days of Sept.

All based on Thai Met figures

And we've just had a very heavy downpour too. Yesterday I nearly drowned on the golf course! Roads were partially flooded on the way home...

Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

With a wet September, the dams in the area should have enough water for the drier
weather in December, when us International tourists try our luck to visit Thailand
for our Winter break. My old friend sure is hoping that his hotel is still open and
he can get back into the country with a bit less rules and restrictions than which are
the current ones. he does like his beer.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My property is quite well known on here for missing the rain when everyone else has it. However, for the last week or so I've had rain every day. I would say that I've had more rain in the last couple of weeks than I've had for the rest of the year.
Gone is my well cropped garden. Hard work around the corner when we manage a couple of days without rain!
buksida

Post by buksida »

It does seem very localized, even down here where it has rained almost every day for the past 3 months, yet others a few clicks away claim they have hardly had any. The local lakes have filled up though which is good news for dry season (if the locals can stop pumping it all out).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:19 am My property is quite well known on here for missing the rain when everyone else has it. However, for the last week or so I've had rain every day. I would say that I've had more rain in the last couple of weeks than I've had for the rest of the year.
I'm sure, like the rest of us though, it has just been a heavy shower or two. We are not getting the deluge that the rest of the country is suffering. I've been watching the news footage, and some of it is very scary elsewhere. All we ever get is a couple of deep puddles that are gone within a couple of hours.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
HHTel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:19 am My property is quite well known on here for missing the rain when everyone else has it. However, for the last week or so I've had rain every day. I would say that I've had more rain in the last couple of weeks than I've had for the rest of the year.
I'm sure, like the rest of us though, it has just been a heavy shower or two. We are not getting the deluge that the rest of the country is suffering. I've been watching the news footage, and some of it is very scary elsewhere. All we ever get is a couple of deep puddles that are gone within a couple of hours.
This was the main road between HH and CA yesterday