Hua Hin vs Phuket (or others) activities wise

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
migrant
Addict
Addict

Hua Hin vs Phuket (or others) activities wise

Post by migrant »

Hey all,

Found threads comparing HH to Phuket, with most discussion based upon nightlife, and costs.

My question is based on activities.

We are looking at retirement to Thailand in a few years.

My wife is from Cha Am area with family still there, and land she owns, so she favors Hua Hin/ Cha Am. But she has been here in the states 10+ years, so is not insistent on this as family has been distant.

I love the ocean, swimming, Scuba and fishing. My ultimate would to have a small boat for the above, and be close, if not on, the ocean. She likes it also, but not so much the sports.

Retirement age will be early 50's (for me) so still lots of time hopefully left.

We've been around HH quite a lot, and BKK and Chaing Mai also, but not many trips to Phuket area, although our trip in Aug will be at least half there.

Not heavy into nightlife, other than drinks/dinner with friends and money should be fine from what I've read about either place.

We plan on spending time in both places (and others?) before settling down, but I'm a planner so any ideas, thoughts, etc would help me.

Thanks!
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Best advice is go and try various places and decide for yourself!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Have you read this:

http://www.huahinblog.com/2007/04/17/hu ... us-phuket/

If you're into scuba it's got to be Phuket or anywhere on the Andaman.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote:Have you read this:

http://www.huahinblog.com/2007/04/17/hu ... us-phuket/

If you're into scuba it's got to be Phuket or anywhere on the Andaman.
Thanks! Good article
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Don't forget the coast between Rayong and Cambodia. It's still pristine, many islands, very few tourists except backpackers, and land as cheap as it comes near an ocean in this country.

It's not for the novice as you won't find much western, either in a store or restaurant....but it's a very nice place if you want to blaze your own trail. :D Pete :cheers:

PS: Just an after thought. Do you know why the above is true? It's because the word "Pattaya" shuts down so many people's thinking that many who would really enjoy to venture '"beyond Pattaya" get turned off and never go east at all, only south.