Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by HHTel »

Isn't every day a holiday just now?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:02 pm Isn't every day a holiday just now?
It is for most of us on the Forum - when someone says to me “enjoy your weekend” I normally reply that my weekend is 7 days long!!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:02 pm Isn't every day a holiday just now?
It's hard work doing nothing. Some days I don't even finish.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Push to promote Phuket after murder
A heavy tourism marketing drive will be launched overseas to spread the message of Phuket being safe after the murder of a Swiss woman and as the US placed Thailand on the list of countries with a Covid-19 alert, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

The murder case has no immediate impact on tourism bookings through the Phuket sandbox programme, as reported by 29 TAT offices overseas, said Nanthasiri Ronsiri, director of TAT's Phuket office.

However, in the longer term, the pandemic might put pressure on Phuket's tourism outlook, especially with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) adding Thailand to the highest Level 4 list of countries -- "very high" -- which urges fully vaccinated US citizens to avoid travel to Thailand due to the risk of exposure to the virus and its variants.

The priority now was to communicate to people overseas and tour operators that Phuket, being the most vaccinated province, is far removed from the pandemic situation in the rest of the country, said Ms Nanthasiri.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ter-murder

TAT: come to Phuket where you won't get covid but might get robbed or murdered by those evil Burmese because everyone is jobless and skint as everything has closed!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

TAT plea to amend sandbox plan
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is asking the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) to approve the so-called 7+7 model allowing tourists to stay in Phuket for seven days before visiting other locations.

Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, a secretary attached to the Prime Minister's Office, said on Saturday the TAT has come up with the so-called 7+7 formula, which means tourists who complete their seven-day stay on the island can visit and spend another seven days in other tourist destinations taking part in the model.

The model is expected to be implemented this month, for seven tourist attractions.

They comprise Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao in Surat Thani; Khao Lak, Kho Yao Yai and Koh Yao Noi in Phangnga; Koh Phi Phi, Railay Beach, and Koh Ngai in Krabi.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... ndbox-plan
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

TAT pins hopes on shorter quarantine
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is hoping a shorter quarantine nationwide during the fourth quarter can accelerate travel demand once the pandemic is controlled.

TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn said the current outbreak is more severe and lasting longer than expected. It has led to stringent measures to curtail the number of new infections.

The country has tried to reopen to tourism under the Phuket sandbox scheme. Only 55 visitors or 0.28% of 19,619 total travellers have tested positive for Covid-19 between July 1 and Aug 12.

He said more destinations are expected to welcome inoculated tourists from October to the first quarter of next year, but the most effective method to lure tourists is to reduce the quarantine period across the board.

"After the outbreak subsides, we will propose a plan to ease quarantine rules, not only in sandbox areas but the whole country, to generate more travel as many countries have started to reduce the mandatory period to seven days," Mr Yuthasak said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... quarantine

TAT should also note that nobody is going to bother coming or even booking when everything in the country is closed and it is under curfew. With numbers still escalating, these measures clearly aren't working.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

At one time I was happy with few tourist but god, I wish I could get out for a good time.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

StevePIraq wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:53 pm At one time I was happy with few tourist but god, I wish I could get out for a good time.
Unfortunately you might have a long wait, things in Europe are only just getting back to some kind of normality after over a year of restrictions.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:34 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:53 pm At one time I was happy with few tourist but god, I wish I could get out for a good time.
Unfortunately you might have a long wait, things in Europe are only just getting back to some kind of normality after over a year of restrictions.
And even in Europe there are still many new cases, though fewer deaths.
buksida

Post by buksida »

TAT hopes Sputnik V nod will lure Russian visitors
Thai tourism hopes to add 500,000 Russian visitors to its 1 million international tourists this year after the Sputnik V vaccine was endorsed for the sandbox programme, says the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

"Russia was one of our tourism sources with 1.4 million visitors prior to the pandemic. An influx of Russian tourists to Greece and Turkey amid the pandemic proves that there's demand from this market," said TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn.

He said the agency made an earlier forecast of 1.2 million international tourists this year, but due to a resurgence of Covid-19 everywhere, the total number may drop to 1 million.

After the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) allowed tourists who have been vaccinated with Sputnik V to visit sandbox destinations, TAT hopes to lure at least 500,000 Russian tourists this year which will help beef up total foreign visitors to 1 million.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... n-visitors
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

It seems to have gone a little quiet on how many tourist have gone to phuket recently

Anybody any numbers for first half august
buksida

Post by buksida »

Any numbers spewed by the state are suspect so we tend to ignore them, but there were a couple of reports on the previous page.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

buksida wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:02 am TAT hopes Sputnik V nod will lure Russian visitors
Thai tourism hopes to add 500,000 Russian visitors to its 1 million international tourists this year after the Sputnik V vaccine was endorsed for the sandbox programme, says the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

"Russia was one of our tourism sources with 1.4 million visitors prior to the pandemic. An influx of Russian tourists to Greece and Turkey amid the pandemic proves that there's demand from this market," said TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn.

He said the agency made an earlier forecast of 1.2 million international tourists this year, but due to a resurgence of Covid-19 everywhere, the total number may drop to 1 million.

After the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) allowed tourists who have been vaccinated with Sputnik V to visit sandbox destinations, TAT hopes to lure at least 500,000 Russian tourists this year which will help beef up total foreign visitors to 1 million.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... n-visitors
How times change. It wasn't so many years ago that they were trying to kick out the Russkies from Phuketski!!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

ahandpatsy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:40 pm It seems to have gone a little quiet on how many tourist have gone to phuket recently

Anybody any numbers for first half august
This is what I found on Twitter
Attachments
Screenshot_20210818-153324_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210818-153324_Samsung Internet.jpg (320.97 KiB) Viewed 526 times
Screenshot_20210818-152922_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210818-152922_Samsung Internet.jpg (263.3 KiB) Viewed 526 times
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Don't these statistics tell them something. It isn't tourists arriving for a holiday, it's Thais & Expats using the Sandbox as a reasonable method of return to Thailand. Do they seriou9think that % of people are travelling around Thailand. TiT never ceases to amaze me.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.