Covid related food shortages/price hikes

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Covid related food shortages/price hikes

Post by Thailightzone »

Over past month I noticed on my recent visits to Tesco-Lotus that they seemed not to have certain brands or entire categories of food items I like. I initially put this down to EOFY stock run-out/rebuilding, but it has actually got worse. One entire isle is now dedicated to storing boxes of noodles & oils - this is how many items have gone.

I also noticed a slow decline in food options at 7-eleven. Tonight I visited and they had NO TOASTIES! In fact, they had only a small variety of food. A 7-eleven with no ham & cheese toasted sandwiches is like going into a McDonalds and being told they have no Big Macs.

Now I don't care about these food items per se, but I am starting to conclude there is a supply shortage. Much of the food sold in Tesco & 7-eleven is manufactured by the CP ALL group (which happens to own these stores). I know they have many high-end production facilities in Bangkok, Chonburi, and Rayong (and likely many other locations).

Does anybody know if these facilities have been shut down or effected by covid?

OIP.jpg
OIP.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
buksida

Re: Covid related food shortages/price hikes

Post by buksida »

Shelves in our local 7 look a bit thin, yes.

Tweaked the title of the thread so we can include stuff like this:

Department warns egg price gougers
The Internal Trade Department is warning vendors who hoard and sell eggs at unreasonable retail prices they will face punishment of both jail and fines.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... ce-gougers

The food wars here are going to escalate and since CP controls most of it, things wont be pretty for those on the lower end of the economic spectrum.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, there is a growing shortage of eggs. We stay away for CP 7/11 eggs and go to a variety of mom & pop places for farm fresh eggs that they get delivered daily. Nowadays if we're not there before 0900 all is gone. In the past you could find them any time of day.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

At Makro in a week
Ginger (from 75 to 135 baht) up 80%
Minced beef up 20%
Lemon up 33%
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If Makro is anything to go by, food shortages are going to get much worse.

Frozen veg = zero
Minced Beef both fresh and frozen = zero
Cooking oil: Only packs of small bottles.

If I could be bothered I could post a list of 'zero' stocked products.

All 'non essential' supplies are cordoned off.

Never seen so many empty shelves. Spreading what they have to try and fill the gaps.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

HHTel wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:25 pm If Makro is anything to go by, food shortages are going to get much worse.

Frozen veg = zero

Never seen so many empty shelves. Spreading what they have to try and fill the gaps.
You should go to Makro or Lotus's in Cha Am both well stocked, the only thing missing at Makro is oranges
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HHTel wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:25 pm If Makro is anything to go by, food shortages are going to get much worse.

Frozen veg = zero

Is that Pranburi or Soi 6 makro?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Soi 6
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

:cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:Soi 6
Wasn't like that yesterday (Wednesday). Must have had a swarm of locusts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I learnt very early into the first lockdown that most Thais can't afford to live, let alone panic buy. We have an ever decreasing number of Farangs and rich Thais to do any panic buying. Let them do their worst. Most shelves will be re-stocked in a few days.

Yes, things like cheese and ham toasties may be affected short term because the factories that make them have been temporarily closed by Covid, but they'll be back.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We did ask about beef mince and frozen veg.
"Do you know when you'll get more"

"Nobody knows! Maybe next week, maybe not!"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But hasn't that been the case in Thai shops for years? Something is on the shelves until it runs out. When it is replenished is very hit and miss. A typical example is baked beans in Tesco. Whilst other shops have plenty (usually cheaper as well), when Tesco runs out, they run out for several weeks. I would suggest more to do with the purchasing clerk than the supply chain.

As for the beef, I did hear there was a Covid problem at a major abattoir, but that might only be a rumour/excuse.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Could be a delivery problem as we were supposed to receive a parcel 2 days ago and still not arrived.
The dentist we go to had to postponed a lot of appointments as the items that were expected yesterday still not come and might arrive tomorrow but not sure.
So that may be a reason.