Euro 2020

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Euro 2020

Post by Dannie Boy »

Denmark definitely made it difficult for England, but overall on chances, England deserved to win, albeit with a dubious penalty, that Kane did his best to miss!!

The extra time may give Italy the edge for Sunday’s final, but you never know, Big Boy may be right and “It’s Coming Home”?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:14 am Big Boy may be right and “It’s Coming Home”?
Believe.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:14 am Denmark definitely made it difficult for England, but overall on chances, England deserved to win, albeit with a dubious penalty, that Kane did his best to miss!!

The extra time may give Italy the edge for Sunday’s final, but you never know, Big Boy may be right and “It’s Coming Home”?
Italy also played extra time (plus penalties) and I would say they had a much more strenuous game overall. England were pretty much coasting for the last 15 minutes, not expending too much energy whereas that Italy vs Spain game was pretty much hell-for-leather right to the end.

We have four days off anyway, that should be plenty of time to recover.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:18 pm We have four days off anyway, that should be plenty of time to recover.

Yes, I think I'll be okay by Sunday... :thumb:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Although Italy will have 5 days from their game and that extra day could be a real advantage. But having said that, England will have to up their game if they’re going to beat Italy and if Harry Kane gets a hat trick, he’ll also get the golden boot!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Credit where credit is due, I thought Captain Harry put in a decent shift yesterday. Certainly a lot better than what I'm used to seeing from him. Actually I thought the entire team put in a great all round effort, and not 1 player disappointed me. When a team can do that, I'm never too disappointed if they lose.

Points 51; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I was actually disappointed by our performance.

I thought Pickford was hyper-ventilating! I thought his positioning for the free kick was wrong and cost us the goal, but in the circumstances he can be forgiven his errors, as overall during the tournament he has been great. Thankfully Walker has speed, as he offers little else. Stones seemed frightened when the ball was at his feet, he is such a gifted player, but he seemed content to let Maguire push forward. I think Stones can be equally as effective doing the same. Shaw was solid, but not as effective as when playing as a wing-back. Phillips and Rice got pulled all over the place by Denmark in the 2nd period of the 1st half. If that's repeated against Italy, we'll suffer, Mount did okayish, but not by his own high standards, Saka only turned up in the last 10 minutes of the 1st half, and showed what he can do, but he needs to be on the ball from the start in the final, but I suspect he won't start. Simply put, Sterling has been our best player and Kane put a shift in.

Southgate is proving to be a very conservative manager and it has served him well. But I still harbour doubts about him. We got the job done in extra time, but I would have liked to have seen pace introduced to scare the hell out of Denmark. Rashford and / or Sancho could have won that for us, instead we opted for a five man defence. Worked against a tired Denmark though.

The final will be fascinating and nerve shredding
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I didn't watch the full match as (funnily enough) I was watching the British & Irish Lions rugby - saw the majority though, which England pretty much controlled/dominated IMHO.

Obviously not an expert, but I didn't think the penalty England were given was actually a penalty, but the earlier foul on Kane was, but was not given - all evens out I guess!! A very good and deserved win for England - congrats! :bow:

Sadly though, some try to spoil things as always.....

Again, I missed the start of the match/1st half but what pi$$es me off is the reports again of a portion of the crowd booing the Danish National Anthem as they did the German National Anthem - show some respect you fecking low IQ clowns! :tosser: :banghead: :cuss:

Also reported the FA being charged over the "Laser Pen" incident involving Schmeichel.....

Seriously need to weed all these dullards and their ilk out - certainly not just restricted to football or English fans, but you are in the spotlight...

[EDIT] https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

caller wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:35 pm I was actually disappointed by our performance...
For feck's sake! 😂😂😂

(U make some fair points though. Particularly, Mount being just okayish).

Last night aside, it's great that we've dispatched a 'big' team already this time around. Something we never did during the World Cup. Germany, though some say are weak, are strong enough to thump Portugal 4-2. Strong enough to think they can leave Sane and Gundogan (one of the Premier League's best players last season) on the bench against us. Very good win that one. Ukraine and Denmark were games we were expected to win.

And now we've shown we can come back from behind if we need to. In the semi finals no less. Showed character.

We've had such huge moments of luck also which is unusual. Just hope we haven't used it all up as we head into the final.
dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:33 pm
GroveHillWanderer wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:18 pm We have four days off anyway, that should be plenty of time to recover.

Yes, I think I'll be okay by Sunday... :thumb:
I'm certainly gonna need another day or two but think I'll just about manage also. :D

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I bloody knew it!! :roll: :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What are the odds on the final? I would think England has an edge, but a small one.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Currently England are 6/4 and Italy are 2/1, so a slight advantage for England, but it’s what happens on the pitch that matters. I’ll settle for a 2-1 win in normal time, Harry Kane scoring both, he gets the Golden Boot award and England are Euro champions - what could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:43 pm I bloody knew it!! :roll: :wink:
We know the ref, supported by the VAR room is highly trained. How can we even doubt these professionals?

These guys are totally unbiased.

Queen.jpg
Queen.jpg (66.14 KiB) Viewed 115 times

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:52 pm Currently England are 6/4 and Italy are 2/1, so a slight advantage for England, but it’s what happens on the pitch that matters. I’ll settle for a 2-1 win in normal time, Harry Kane scoring both, he gets the Golden Boot award and England are Euro champions - what could possibly go wrong? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So basically it's home field advantage. The Italians are great actors though and I would expect to see histrionic drama to fit the occasion.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:08 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:52 pm Currently England are 6/4 and Italy are 2/1, so a slight advantage for England, but it’s what happens on the pitch that matters. I’ll settle for a 2-1 win in normal time, Harry Kane scoring both, he gets the Golden Boot award and England are Euro champions - what could possibly go wrong? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So basically it's home field advantage. The Italians are great actors though and I would expect to see histrionic drama to fit the occasion.
I read that the Italians have complained about Sterlings theatricals in getting the penalty against Denmark (with some justification), but I’m sure they’ll be trying the same on Sunday

May the best divers (team) win!!