Re-registration of vehicle

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Re-registration of vehicle

Post by Hahuahin »

Anyone who know how to proceed to re-register a motorbike from another province to Hua Hin?
Thank you in advance.
hahuahin
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Re-registration of vehicle

Post by sateeb »

I recently sold my car which was still registered to my old address in Khon Kaen to a family that lived in Buri Ram. Although I was not involved in the re registering process I believe it was without incident. I just got the usual proof of address form from Hua Hin Imm and I signed a few Forms from the Motor Licencing Dept. Maybe no help for you,I would suggest a visit to the MLD in Pranburi or Cha Am and and I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The last car I bought was registered in BKK so needed to be re-registered. This involved an initial visit by the previous owner and myself to the DLT, followed by a further visit to the DLT to collect my new plate. You need a screwdriver with you as you have to submit the old plate to get a new one.
The DLT in Pranburi doesn't handle re-registrations and I was directed to the DLT at PKK which of course is much further. It's actually on the main Petchkasem Rd just before the turn to the town.

Of course it may be entirely different for bikes.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I had a friend who had to go to exactly the same place to re-register his big bike, so I guess the same for bikes.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

We used the local shop that does the testing after buying a Yamaha with a Khon Kaen plate. They charged 100 baht for the service and you don't have to mess around at the DLT. There must be an equivalent in HH, though the cost is likely to be higher.

Nothing happens fast in Thailand though and we've only just got the new PKK plate back after about ten weeks.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As an aside, I noticed that at the back of the DLT (PKK) there is a large pile of returned plates. Not secured and easily 'lifted'. It did cross my mind but ....... nah, I'm a law abiding guy!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Unless there's a real need to reregister why do it? There's no legal requirement to do so, unless the law has changed in the last few years.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

To save re-registering, you and the seller needs to complete the transaction at the original DLT that registered the car you're buying. If in HH and the vehicle is registered in BKK then you need to go to BKK to complete the sale.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:To save re-registering, you and the seller needs to complete the transaction at the original DLT that registered the car you're buying. If in HH and the vehicle is registered in BKK then you need to go to BKK to complete the sale.
Indeed. However the OP didn't mention buying or selling. I don't think both parties need to go as long as the one that's selling signs a power of attorney.

Happy to be corrected as it's a long time since I've played that game.
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:14 pm To save re-registering, you and the seller needs to complete the transaction at the original DLT that registered the car you're buying.
Not completely accurate. Late last year we bought a Yamaha MT-15 in Ranong with a Khon Kaen plate on it and re-registered it here with a PKK plate locally with no issues, and certainly no traveling to KK with the previous owner. They took the old plate and green book away and issued a new book and plate almost three months later ... total cost was about 2k if I recall.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Thank you for replying. This is not about buying/selling. My better half want here motorbike (better one she says) from home province (motorbike arrived here a few days ago) and register it with license plate from Hua Hin and she have come so far she have found out that unless she drive :roll: all the way to Prachuabkhirikhan she would have to pay Thb 1700,- to the same company which do the yearly check of frame number of motorbikes and issue the registration stickers and they will take care of it. IMO the cost is a bit over the top but then again in this case I'm not paying so awaiting here decision and she is savy so wouldn't be surprised if she take a day trip to PKK. 8)