The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Post by hhinner »

^ Agree with using qbittorrent.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you - that has downloaded. Will see if it downloads torrents now :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

qBittorrent is working, and I'm getting double the download speed I was getting with uTorrent since installing Express VPN, so well pleased, thank you.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Sounds like your antivirus software blocking it, or a permissions error with the zip file as already mentioned. utorrent works well, haven't tried the other one but yes, speeds through the VPN are much quicker.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

qBittorrent is working very well, so the problem is sorted. I was happy with uTorrent, although speeds dropped by about 50% with Express VPN. qBittorrent speed is double what I was getting with uTorrent, so I'm very happy.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Help please.

Before my main laptop was put to sleep (dropped it a few times so it was unusable), Mr. Don copied the hard drive for me onto my external hard drive.

In the meantime, my number 2 laptop already had everything that I needed already loaded onto it. Including the driver for my Canon printer. Then inexplicably, the hard drive on that went belly up and couldn't be rescued.

I am still using the same laptop with a new hard drive and have been trying to connect the laptop to the printer from a Canon download. But whatever I do, it won't connect to the printer (there was a CD but I have no idea where that is).

I still have the programmes from the original laptop saved on the external hard drive, via the control panel, which includes the Canon drivers. Is it possible to somehow install these on the 'host' No.2 laptop and if so, how? All I know is how to uninstall, which I clearly don't want to do.

Thanks.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Rather than all of the heartache, when I got my new laptop, there was something blocking me loading the printer software. I took the printer and laptop to Mr Don and it was sorted in 10 minutes. I think he maybe charged 100฿. It saves a lot of faffing about, and you know it's done right.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Alternatively, I guess it's plug and play. Delete whatever printer drivers you have on the machine, plug the printer in and re-start. It should find the correct drivers for you.

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Along the same lines; I can print from my computer but I can't copy from my printer to my computer. The computer doesn't recognize the printer.
No problem with old computer and Win 7. New computer has Win 10.
???????????????
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:47 pm Alternatively, I guess it's plug and play. Delete whatever printer drivers you have on the machine, plug the printer in and re-start. It should find the correct drivers for you.
I haven't got any. It's a new hard drive, that's what I was trying to download from Canon. But you can't continue if the printer can't be connected via wifi to start with. That's why I asked about the program I have in the saved control panel from my old laptop.

And I don't have the software, which I would use if I had.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, you don't need any. With plug and play, your computer will find the drivers that your printer needs. Let it search the www.

If that fails, what model is your printer? My last printer was Cannon - I still have the disk - might be the same. You'll be welcome to it if the same.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Try plugging the printer in using USB, which it will recognize and should find the drivers for (Win 10 has them for most printers). Once installed then switch it to wifi.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:35 am Try plugging the printer in using USB, which it will recognize and should find the drivers for (Win 10 has them for most printers). Once installed then switch it to wifi.
That’s what I did when I bought a new printer and it automatically downloaded the drivers - very straight forward even for an IT dinosaur like me!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks for all the helpful advice, it's appreciated. Other matters have been more pressing.

The printer only has an ethernet connection, so I guess I use that instead of USB?

I will first try switching off my firewall for the download, which canon have suggested. Then try the ethernet / USB route, then I think I will go and see Mr Don if the software isn't needed!

Edit - forgot, sorry. BB, it's a Canon E560.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I am pleased to say I am connected to my printer again. Seems the firewall was the sticking point. Grateful for all your help. Printing was as easy as ever, scanning seems simple and I'll guess I'll FIND OUT where the image ends up when I do some. It's all changed compared to what was on the original DVD.
Talk is cheap