Road accidents: farangs guilty by entry (to Thailand) - truth or myth?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Guilty by entry (in Thailand): truth or myth?

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:37 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:04 am Yes, they know them better than us!!
I've trusted them for 20 years and I've yet to be disappointed. Mistrust of the police from the local population is inbred historically. I believe it has changed somewhat.

The situation Buksi relates shows the Thai witnesses pointing the finger at the 'farang'. Fortunately, once the police were confronted with the evidence, they acted accordingly. This wasn't the police at fault, just racism raising it's head
If the police had taken names of the witnesses then they could have warned them about giving false statements. Of course that's not going to happen.

Of course there are bad apples in every police force around the world and Thailand is no exception. Yes, there's corruption by the cart load but in every day action, especially on the road, I've not seen many problems.
Almost every Thai person knows or is related to a policeman and know that historically many (not all) are corrupt - they get paid a pittance and so are almost “encouraged” to look for ways to bolster their income. As others have mentioned, technology often comes to the aid of the innocent motorist (and that might be a Thai against Thai), but without a dashcam, if you’re in the “know”, then that often works in your favor!!